ACR - Number of Moves

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
personally i dont have a set number. I have a very loose routine and i know which moves work best in what order but i play of the audience. If they are really feeling it i might do as many as 6, if not so much i'll cut it down to 3 or 4. The key is not to just repeat the same move. Nobody is gonna be entertained by 4 double lifts, you gotta switch it up, and you need something strong for the last phase.

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
As far as move goes... I say I use around 8... more or less depending on the situation.

I guess I can trim it down to use only 4 moves, but I like my ACR at this moment.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I have four phases. Depending on how you count it, I use 4 to 9 individual 'moves' to accomplish the routine.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
There is no set amount of moves.
I think you should decide the number of moves according to what you want your ACR to look like and what context you put it in. I personally only use 2 moves: Double lift and Merlin Tip Over. Been using the same ACR for 2.5 years and it has worked miracles every time. Don't over complicate it just to challenge yourself.

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
How many moves should there be in an ACR? I think four. But what is a good amount to you guys/gals?

All I'm gonna say is don't kill your ACR routine

Don't run through it like your in the Hundy 500.

An ACR routine can even be 2 phases/moves

I have gotten mine to were it is short and sweet and things happen differently each phase.

1. Card jumps to the top
2 Card to mouth
3. The card pops up to the top (pop-up/bend)

Experiment with different phases to build to a strong ending.

Pixel, card to mouth, you can end with a card to impossible location. Like a card to pocket or something.

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
I really don't think number of moves matter as much as number of phases.

Number of phases should be flexible in ACR as if people seems to not respond, you can either pull out bigger guns or end early. If people are enjoying it, be ready to milk it out as much as they react without going for the overkill.

Then again, I think that's pretty much what everyone is saying.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Personally I don't like anything remotely long in an ACR any more. I used to like the move-monkey, 12 phase ACRs, but as I step back and look at magic as a spectator, even I get bored by that these days. My own ACR is 4 phases, and ends with the deck either turning into a block of glass, or a steel deck (Hondo's Pass Trainer). It's short enough that no one ever gets bored, and it ends strongly enough that they don't need to see more.

The place where I can expand or contract it is the speed at which I perform it. I can, if I so desired, knock it out in about a minute. That would be very fast for me. I generally converse a lot with my spectators, joke with them, etc. My 4 phase ACR takes me upwards of 3 to 5 minutes if the audience is digging the jokes and banter.

Dec 3, 2009
In my own world
Personally I don't like anything remotely long in an ACR any more. I used to like the move-monkey, 12 phase ACRs, but as I step back and look at magic as a spectator, even I get bored by that these days. My own ACR is 4 phases, and ends with the deck either turning into a block of glass, or a steel deck (Hondo's Pass Trainer). It's short enough that no one ever gets bored, and it ends strongly enough that they don't need to see more.

The place where I can expand or contract it is the speed at which I perform it. I can, if I so desired, knock it out in about a minute. That would be very fast for me. I generally converse a lot with my spectators, joke with them, etc. My 4 phase ACR takes me upwards of 3 to 5 minutes if the audience is digging the jokes and banter.

So, you use your ACR like Cyril Takayama. His is only four or five moves and takes like 8 minutes. I like that idea. thanks.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Never watched Cyril's, so I'll take your word for it.

A lot of my performance is talking with the spectators and joking with them. Even my simple, short tricks like Chicago Opener take at least a couple minutes if I'm not just showing something quick.

Oh, another thing with ACR, in my opinion there shouldn't be any phases that repeat. Maybe, maybe the first two phases can be just "I take your card and put it in the middle, then it jumps to the top. Ok, that was too fast maybe, I'll do it again. I take your card and place it in the middle. There! Back on top!" With mine, every phase is different. The card appears on top of the deck face up, then the card comes from the middle to the top, then Card to Mouth, then the deck transforms into something else (except their signed selection). I've gotten very good responses to this routine.

Dec 3, 2009
In my own world
Never watched Cyril's, so I'll take your word for it.

A lot of my performance is talking with the spectators and joking with them. Even my simple, short tricks like Chicago Opener take at least a couple minutes if I'm not just showing something quick.

Oh, another thing with ACR, in my opinion there shouldn't be any phases that repeat. Maybe, maybe the first two phases can be just "I take your card and put it in the middle, then it jumps to the top. Ok, that was too fast maybe, I'll do it again. I take your card and place it in the middle. There! Back on top!" With mine, every phase is different. The card appears on top of the deck face up, then the card comes from the middle to the top, then Card to Mouth, then the deck transforms into something else (except their signed selection). I've gotten very good responses to this routine.

Thanks for the tips. I'll pm you my routine.

Dec 5, 2007
Mine is pretty quick, i think that more moves can just make it weaker.

I use 3 phases and they depend on the situation.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results