Magic Like Derren Brown

Jul 8, 2009
I really loved Derren Brown's Devil Picture Book especially the DVD on mental forces. Does anyone have any recommendations on similar type of magic/mentalism in the spirt of Derren Brown? Looking for books, dvd or ebook. Thanks

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
If you liked Devil's Picturebook, pick up Banachek's Psychological Subtleties series (1, 2 & 3). Or look into Kenton Knepper's work as well. You may also find Luke Jermay's work interesting... These are just a few that come to mind...

Funny you should mention it, actually, I was reminded just a few hours ago to go back and look at Derren's stuff... I haven't used some of the material for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
ParaLies by Josh Quinn is fantastic. There was one effect in there (Memorandom) that really reminded me a lot of Derren's stuff. Seriously, this is a brilliant book.

Jul 8, 2009
Question regarding Paralies by Josh Quinn--is the material generally for stage or can it be used more informally? Thanks

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
ParaLies has a lot of close up material. There are stage pieces - most can be adapted for both - but there's definitely a lot of material that you can use informally.

But actually, Raiker suggested something that I should've. Honestly, half of Derren's show is from the Jinx, last time I checked. >.> I watched Evening of Wonders again the other day, and the thing that surprised me the most was how much of the show wasn't psychological - and yet, he has this perception of using psychological mentalism.

David - I haven't thought about it much, but obviously the use of American States rather disrupts the function of the Chunnel here. If you don't mind saying so, how do you get around that?

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
D ICE R, would you be so kind as to send me that pm as well? I'm from Britain and have been trying to create a chunnel that's non US specific, but only with limited luck. I'd be interested to see what solution you had to the problem.

Cheers :)

Sep 24, 2007
I live in the states, but I usually start with the favourite color (for chunneling), which has the advantage of being a seemingly unrestricted choice, when in reality there are only 3 or 4 options.

I hear that the majority of Enigma is from PMM.

This is my act...

My act is similar to Derren Brown's style. As a matter of fact, we have had almost identical training over the last tweny years.

Contact me, and I can make some suggestions and answer any questions you may have.

Bill

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results