Performing to Strangers

Jan 16, 2010
Hey theory11! I wanted to ask everyone how they perform on the streets. I've tried asking many strangers if they would like to see a magic trick, but every single one of them rejected me and my friend.

Mind sharing ways of getting their attention?

You could have a video camera, that usually helps, and instead of "You wanna see a magic trick?". You could go more blaine-esque and just go "You wanna see something strange?". I don't know how that will play out but you're going to get rejected by strangers, just make sure those that want to see your magic get a worthwhile performance.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Hey theory11! I wanted to ask everyone how they perform on the streets. I've tried asking many strangers if they would like to see a magic trick, but every single one of them rejected me and my friend.

Mind sharing ways of getting their attention?

I made a sign saying "Card Tricks" (inspired by Chad Nelson seen in his Surfaced DVD preview)

And I wore a top hat to go with it doing card flourishes. THAT got people's attention. Let them come to you most of the time if going with that method. Or lay a top hat on the ground upside down with "Card Tricks" sign in front, and stand there doing whatever you want to do. They will come to you and after the trick they can drop a tip in there to earn some money.

Make sure to put a few bills in there to let them know you are actually good to get money!!! haha.

-Casey

Jan 16, 2010
LMAO, I'll see. I'm just curious how the t11 artists do it, because Wayne just goes up to people and introduces himself.

May 31, 2008
In my opinion "You wanna see a magic trick?" and "You wanna see something strange?" are some of the worst things you can say. They may work for other people, but it never works for me.

"You wanna see a magic trick?"
It makes you sound like a little kid whose uncle just taught him a card trick.

"You wanna see something strange?"
If a random person on the street asked you if you wanted to see something strange, would you really want to see it?

I usually go for something along the lines of:

"Hi, my name's David, I'm a magician, and I'm out here shooting a video for the internet. I was wondering if you could help me out for a quick second, I think you'll enjoy it."

If I'm not filming:

"Hi, I'm David, I'm a magician. I was wondering if I could show you something, it'll only take a second, and I think you'll enjoy it."

Dylan P. wrote a great guide right here on the forums:

http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=7383&highlight=street+magic+guide+approaching+people

I also recommend choosing you approach wisely. Don't walk up to anyone who looks like they're busy. Look for someone who looks they are having/want to have a good time and don't have much going on. I've noticed it's easier to perform for one person, but you'll get much better reactions if you perform for a group of people who know each other.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
What he said.

I introduce myself politely, then talk to them a little. Then say something like, "I'm a magician with the Fresno Magic Club, would you like to see something?"

Sep 1, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Hey you guys got a minute. Watch this... The secret is not to give them a choice because they will undoubtably say no if if you do. Try not to start with a card trick.

Jun 6, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Pay attention to the people around you and sort've people watch and then when someone looks like they'll say yes to you go up to them. I say this, "excuse me my name's Nico(I take my cards out at this point and say)can I show you something really quick?" I haven't had anyone say no to me..yet. Be calm about it too..I noticed when you're calm they don't seem so freaked out that some random person came up to them.

May 15, 2010
With Gerard Way
For me, it was especially hard to get people to say yes but I have a way now. I am still a teen so I may come off as unprofessional and young. What I do is I see if the person is not busy! Otherwise they don't want you to bother them. I come foreword. I say: "Excuse me, hi," (I give them a good handshake, this shows that I am mature, more than I look, I stand up strait and speak clearly) I say, "My name is Anna I'm sorry but do you mind if I borrow a minute of your time?" Yes or if they are goin' somewhere or whatnot No. If yes, I perform.

Generally it works, I introduce myself and shake their hand that part is important. Otherwise it seems like I'd be selling something.

You know like when you are in the mall or on the street those cell phone people come up to you and try to talk or give you a piece of paper and you just want them to not notice you and you will even deliberately ignore them. You don't want to be like that. You want to act like a friend just introduced you to them. You be polite. You have a good time. And be sure to :D.

May 31, 2008
Hey you guys got a minute. Watch this... The secret is not to give them a choice because they will undoubtably say no if if you do. Try not to start with a card trick.

I disagree, if you ambush they're going to feel ambushed. You're going to come across more as annoying than as an entertainer.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Most of you younger gentleman on here have to understand that there are many factors why you get turned down by strangers. Keep in mind this is entirely my opinion coming from someone who is married with kids at the age of 32.

1.) You are approaching them in THEIR territory and the people genuinely do not want to be bothered because they are talking or enjoying a family / couple moment without you in their space. (Yes...I understand that you could go over and make their day even more enjoyable, but they don't know that because most people have never had a close up entertainer perform for them.)

2.) A lot of the younger street style guys tend to wear a lot of black (not stereotyping), goth, or grunge / skater style clothing and you do not look professional. This appearance alone sends a bad vibe before you even make it over to them to begin conversation. As a father I wouldn't want some teen in a trench coat walking over to my family to engage in some type of craziness...ha ha.

3.) Your age - Most adults do not believe that some kid is going to be able to come over and entertain them very well, so no...they most likely do not even want to give you a chance.

4.) The spectators see another guy with you who has a camcorder or camera and this frightens them because they have no idea if they are going to end up all over the internet, on a DVD, or sent from phone to phone as a small video file.

These are just some of the reasons I tend to see why young magicians get turned down looking for spectators. Take it as you will guys. Just trying to show you my perspective.

May 31, 2008
Most of you younger gentleman on here have to understand that there are many factors why you get turned down by strangers. Keep in mind this is entirely my opinion coming from someone who is married with kids at the age of 32.

1.) You are approaching them in THEIR territory and the people genuinely do not want to be bothered because they are talking or enjoying a family / couple moment without you in their space. (Yes...I understand that you could go over and make their day even more enjoyable, but they don't know that because most people have never had a close up entertainer perform for them.)

2.) A lot of the younger street style guys tend to wear a lot of black (not stereotyping), goth, or grunge / skater style clothing and you do not look professional. This appearance alone sends a bad vibe before you even make it over to them to begin conversation. As a father I wouldn't want some teen in a trench coat walking over to my family to engage in some type of craziness...ha ha.

3.) Your age - Most adults do not believe that some kid is going to be able to come over and entertain them very well, so no...they most likely do not even want to give you a chance.

4.) The spectators see another guy with you who has a camcorder or camera and this frightens them because they have no idea if they are going to end up all over the internet, on a DVD, or sent from phone to phone as a small video file.

These are just some of the reasons I tend to see why young magicians get turned down looking for spectators. Take it as you will guys. Just trying to show you my perspective.

Great advice, thanks man!

Jack

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2007
Decatur, GA
Here is an exchange I had with Daniel Madison recently about the very same thing.

me:We don't know each other personally but I am a fan of your work. I just spent three hours in what was essentially an exercise in rejection. If you're working a gig (at a pub as I just was) and the people just aren't having it how do you get them interested? To say the least their apathy was rather depressing. I have been performing magic for a while now and I make my living as a stage actor so rejection is something I am familiar and comfortable with (auditions and such) but this was different. There just seemed to be a complete disinterest in magic all together. For the most part they wouldn't even give it a chance. What do you do when they just don't care? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,
-matt

Daniel:This is something that every magician should experience, it's times like these that teach us the most about our art, these times shape our act and teach us to adapt. Magic is generally condescending, it does not invite one to suspend their beliefs, it expects them, and this is how the avoidance begins for most people. Through performing magic for people I learnt how harsh an act it is when judged for what it is, no matter how many of us try to change the general image by making it cool and hip, it will always be 'magic.' Since I dropped the 'magician' title, I've had so many good experiences, connections and friendships. The art of sleight of hand does not deny or try to disguise itself, it is dishonestly honest and holds a light up to its own deception, in stead of hiding the deception behind claims of mystical and unearthly powers as magic does. Claiming that a card mystically jumps back to the top of the deck asks for belief... claiming that the card arrived by deftness is a very subtle admission of skill and deserves more attention. My views now are that we should showcase our skills and how we get from a to z, and not just show a, then z.
Hope this offers a little thought on the situation you found yourself in, and thank you for reminding me of such experiences I dealt with which helped form my ways.
D

Cheers!

Jun 6, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
ArcticChibi hgave you watched Wayne Houchin's Distortion? If you haven't Houchin says,"You don't want to be forcing magic on people. You don't want to be walking around doing magic at people. You actually want be entertaining people instead of scaring them....sometimes you have to sit around and wait and sit in one place for awhile and just enjoy yourself and wait for the right people to come by that look like they're looking for some entertainment...sometimes it takes awhile."
I think those are wise words.

May 31, 2008
ArcticChibi hgave you watched Wayne Houchin's Distortion? If you haven't Houchin says,"You don't want to be forcing magic on people. You don't want to be walking around doing magic at people. You actually want be entertaining people instead of scaring them....sometimes you have to sit around and wait and sit in one place for awhile and just enjoy yourself and wait for the right people to come by that look like they're looking for some entertainment...sometimes it takes awhile."
I think those are wise words.

I believe he ends it by saying; "Basically this is my way of saying we've been out here for a few hours." or something like that. Great DVD.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
You definitely have to pick the right group. I was just at the market yesterday. I walked around for half an hour looking for people that didn't seem too busy or caught up in their own thing. Then I found a couple youngish girls that recognized me from last week, and my buddy and I performed for them for over an hour. After that, they hunted us down againt later for more.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results