Let's talk about controls

Feb 17, 2010
Moscow, Russia
Guys, let's talk about card controls. And the exact question is why there is tendency to put the card in the middle, and then control it by, for example, transposing the two halves (Pass) or cutting the deck (Table cut), or by using any other techniques? I know that the Pass is an utility move, but why not control a card by using, let's say Venus Trap (very useful and invisible control), Double Lift or Shinobi? These are very deceptive. I mean it's more rational to do the switch or pretend to put the card in the middle than placing the actual card in the deck and then thinkin' "God, I gotta get this card back on top/bottom and I'll do this like this/that". Why make life harder for yourself? Maybe, these are just personal preferences. What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Its just taste in methodology...
Some people like to show the card freely before inserting it into the deck, some dont. Some people like a challenge. Some people like to fool magicians. Some dont like angle sensitive moves (venus trap). Some dont think new moves are worth their while. Some people may practice every control incase the situation arises. You can't really say one is better than the other can you?

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
Since when did the pass become and "easy to catch" technique? If you cant do it then yes, if you can do it then no.

Different contols for different tricks. Some controls will need a pass, some a overhand shuffle, some a double undercut etc.

Sep 1, 2007
At the end of the day, the choice of control should be dictated by the trick that you're doing - the one that best suits the effect you are trying to achieve. For instance, take a very basic sandwich effect. You might remove the kings, and have a card selected, then load it from the top of the deck. In this instance, you want the audience to be convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that the card really is in the middle, so they are less likely to think of the contact with the top of the deck as suspicious. Therefore, some kind of switch and a very fair insertion into the middle is preferable to a cutting/shuffling control.

Of course, some may argue that a convincing control into some kind of transfer move/palm add on would be the best solution of all :)

To take another simple example, a trick where a card is physically selected and returned to the deck is often an ideal setup to employ a control after a fair insertion; having the spectator return the card to the deck gives them a greater sense of control over the proceedings and necessitates a control after placement.

Cheers,
David.

Feb 17, 2010
Moscow, Russia
Since when did the pass become and "easy to catch" technique? If you cant do it then yes, if you can do it then no.

Different contols for different tricks. Some controls will need a pass, some a overhand shuffle, some a double undercut etc.
"Easy to catch" was really outta place. My bad. This thread is about rationalness of controlling the card.

May 10, 2010
In my opinion, it's really up to the performer how he wants the selected card to be shifted to either the bottom or the top of the deck. Whether it's a control or a pass, so long as the job gets done, hopefully invisible to your audience, it's good.

For myself, I know quite a few controls and passes, though I will never say I have them all mastered. Nonetheless, I always use the ones that are more comfortable in my hands. Furthermore, the selection of the control I would use naturally comes into my head with respect to the situation that I'm in.

For example, if there were people standing on my left side, and let's just say one of my card controls can be easily exposed on that left side, I would of course avoid that control, and instead change it to perhaps a pass that is invisible on the left. Maybe you might argue that these sleights of hand should not be such angle sensitive, but that's just an example I would like to use.

Some controls are more comfortable in one's hands while not so much on another. I don't exactly have very big hands, and sometimes a control might be exposed through my fingers. I'm not complaining, and I can easily solve this by looking for another control that is more suitable and hence making my job much easier to accomplish.

Regardless how many different controls there are in this magical world, it's always up to the performer to choose what suits the situation best, as well as what is most comfortable in his hands. Again these are my opinions, and I hope it helps!

Apr 19, 2010
Cumbria, UK
As people have said, it depends on your situation. If im performing a sandwich effect or any effect for that matter that i want the spectatots to be CERTAIN that the card is in the middle i may use a top change, but if it doesnt matter i will use some old fashioned cuts and shuffles. Its personal preferance and whatever fits the trick really.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
it's dependent on the situation.

If my spectators are really scrutinizing my moves, i'll pass. If they're spectators who won't question you at all, i'll use a top change or a double lift. But I usually deal with spectators who are looking pretty hard for moves, so I need convincers like putting the card in the middle.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results