Ideas on Taking Care of Your Cards

Jan 13, 2010
Riverside, CA
I came up with an idea (maybe you did to) to prevent (at least) the stickiness of the deck of cards.

I always put a skin powder or baby powder on my hands to prevent the oil to transfer on cards (BEFORE HOLDING AND PRACTICING WITH CARDS). It is 80% effective.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want you to have a quick reply below of your ideas and practices on taking care of your cards.

Thank you very much. I hope my idea helps. Have a great day!

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
I came up with an idea (maybe you did to) to prevent (at least) the stickiness of the deck of cards.

I always put a skin powder or baby powder on my hands to prevent the oil to transfer on cards (BEFORE HOLDING AND PRACTICING WITH CARDS). It is 80% effective.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want you to have a quick reply below of your ideas and practices on taking care of your cards.

I always try to eat a greasy burger before practicing... I have found this to be both costly and counter productive =P

But seriously, practicing over the carpet instead of tiles. I notice that I drop my cards way too much... Though, it is the only way to master those ariels =D

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com

How about washing your hands?

Seriously. Powers absorb oil and end up on your cards anyway. Wash your hands good with soap, finish with cold water (helps keep your hands from sweating and getting oily again) and then dry them really well. If you have Purell or another instant hand sanitizer, it helps to draw the moisture out of the fine pores of your hands. When that dries, you are more than good to go.

L

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Lyle is exactly correct. This is what I have posted on here about 20 times for people but hardly anyone believes me. Wash the hands good with soap and water. Purell...let dry and let the cards fly.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Cards aren't made of steel - they're made of paper. Therefore, their sworn enemy in life is moisture, whether that be in the form of oils from your hands or humidity outside. To make a deck last as long as possible, make sure your hands are relatively clean before using them, and try to keep them out of hot, humid environments. Heat can be a major factor, as it can cause the finish on the cards to melt and become sticky.

The best protection - wash your hands, don't drop 'em, and keep them in a comfortable environment.

Jan 13, 2010
Riverside, CA
But I think if the powder ends up on cards, it will absorb the oil from cards too. Because before I tried this I saw an article on washing the cards. Baking soda or corn starch is one way to clean it, like the fanning powder. Still the same thing I guess.

May 9, 2010
Cards aren't made of steel - they're made of paper. Therefore, their sworn enemy in life is moisture, whether that be in the form of oils from your hands or humidity outside. To make a deck last as long as possible, make sure your hands are relatively clean before using them, and try to keep them out of hot, humid environments. Heat can be a major factor, as it can cause the finish on the cards to melt and become sticky.

The best protection - wash your hands, don't drop 'em, and keep them in a comfortable environment.

What about the pass trainer decks?

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
Well everyone are talking about "how to keep your hands clean ...."

BUT

what if someone asks to perform, you take out your perfectly clean shinny deck and realize your spec. have really dirty hand, or is eating something ...

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I just put card powder on a newly opened deck, break em in and them use them, after about a month or so, I'll put them in the closet for awhile and circulate whatever cards I have that way. They usually end up feeling pretty much like a new deck of cards and really if they get dirty or whatever, you can usually just replace them by buying a decent deck at Wal-mart or whatever store is close to you.

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois

BUT

what if someone asks to perform, you take out your perfectly clean shinny deck and realize your spec. have really dirty hand, or is eating something ...

the prices we pay for our art. sorry. you gotta deal with this. all we can do is be kind (CHANGE, ....its a pun!) to the cards ourselves. and let them handle the abuse our spectators give them.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
That's a large part of why I always perform with bikes, and bikes are what I carry casually. I don't care if a deck of bikes gets ruined, even if it's brand new, because it's only $2 to replace.

Jun 6, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
That's a large part of why I always perform with bikes, and bikes are what I carry casually. I don't care if a deck of bikes gets ruined, even if it's brand new, because it's only $2 to replace.
I agree. I use Bikes when I perform on the street or a bar because I know my deck is going to get abused. Now for hire I use Tally's or Split Spades depending on the event.
Tips: keep your hands clean, rotate decks, and try to practice over a mattress or something instead of on tile or wood.

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
the prices we pay for our art. sorry. you gotta deal with this. all we can do is be kind (CHANGE, ....its a pun!) to the cards ourselves. and let them handle the abuse our spectators give them.

Yeah but it's heart breaking for us to see our deck of cards getting dirtied before our own eyes and we're helpless ....

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I'll be honest, I go into my performances expecting my deck to get destroyed. It doesn't bother me, because I'm usually expecting even worse than they do.

Mar 1, 2010
Hong Kong

I live in HK, and here is wet and hot!

Because it's so difficult to keep my cards out of hot, humid environments, i want to share my way to protect them. Clean hands are a must, luckily my hands are not sweaty. Personally, i have a desiccant box to store my cards and i dont use the same deck for a long period(bikes for 30 min, tallyho for 30 min, v4 for 15 min... etc.)

May 27, 2008
WV
www.sinimagic.com

BUT

I always use bikes and they get tossed in the trash after each gig or used for practice.

May 23, 2010
Singapore
I live in HK, and here is wet and hot!

Because it's so difficult to keep my cards out of hot, humid environments, i want to share my way to protect them. Clean hands are a must, luckily my hands are not sweaty. Personally, i have a desiccant box to store my cards and i dont use the same deck for a long period(bikes for 30 min, tallyho for 30 min, v4 for 15 min... etc.)

Try Aladdins or Tactical Fields

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results