Revolver - First impressions review

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I was trying very hard not to buy anything else until I'd worked through what I had. But I just got handed a bit of money, and I really liked this change so I caved.

I'll get my one beef out of the way right off the bat. I would really have preferred that Kelvin teach the move instead of Andrei. I understand why they used Andrei, and that's cool and all. Andrei is good, for sure, but he hasn't lived with the move for as long as Kelvin. Therefore, he won't have all the little subtleties that Kelvin would inevitably have given us. That is my one and only beef with this video.

That being said, I'm 100% satisfied with this purchase. I'm happy to say that T11 has not let me down once with any 1on1 I've bought.

Andrei does a great job of breaking it down. After one viewing, I'm confident I understand the technique and can practice and learn it from there. It's definitely a knacky move, but also definitely learnable. T11 has never disappointed me with how thorough they are when teaching a move. If anything, I find myself wanting to skip ahead, because they are, in fact, so thorough that after I've already understood a concept, they keep teaching it. I think that's a good thing. When I'm working on this move, I'll go back and watch those parts where the instructor repeats the move a dozen times and pick up little ins and outs.

Now, how realistic is this move? I'd say, once I get this down, it's very realistic. It has some angle sensitivity, for sure. You can't do it surrounded. Really, I think the appropriate context is when you can keep all of your audience to one side. But in that context, it's killer. Get it down, and this is a beautiful move.

I just recently felt like I got the Bertram change smooth enough to risk performing for a real audience. Well, this is the Bertram change on steroids. Meaning it's a bit difficult, but once you get it, and in the right context, it's pure magic.

It's going to be a bit of a challenge for many people, for sure. The 'Advanced' tag is deserved. But if you're willing to work on it, I think this is a solid purchase. I know I'll be using it, once I get it down.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I don't know if he's native Chinese. I know nothing about him, in fact. Someone said that the reason they had Andrei do the explanation is that Kelvin is in Indiana, and the studios are in Vegas or NYC.

May 9, 2008
I think you've given it a fair assessment! Good review. What I'm wondering if anyone can tell me, is what the the ideal distance away from someone you should be performing this? Practicing in the mirror as Andrei suggested I'm constantly flashing. Perhaps I should set up my camera and start taping?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I have learned so much by filming my practice sessions. I highly recommend it. Also, this is a knacky move, so you're not going to get it right for a bit. Practice practice practice.

Likenthrope

Banned
Jan 31, 2009
IDK, this just doesn't do it for me. Seems like a lot of practice for a non practical move. I really can't see this being applied to a card trick. I guess it's alright for a flourish. IMHO.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
It is a beautiful change and as for it's practicality I don't see how you can say that. Yes the multiple change may come off as a little too much but if you look at the preview where Kelvin does the four aces with the red accro's the change happens at about the same angle as any other colour change. I probably will pick this up ax something that I can play with to show off to friends with.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
It is a beautiful change and as for it's practicality I don't see how you can say that. Yes the multiple change may come off as a little too much but if you look at the preview where Kelvin does the four aces with the red accro's the change happens at about the same angle as any other colour change. I probably will pick this up ax something that I can play with to show off to friends with.

That's largely why I wanted it, D ICE R, to play with on my own. I actually rarely use color changes in my work. Not for any particular reason, I just don't do anything that uses them. But I really like them, and I was drinking that night, so I bought this one :D

Not disappointed at all, though. I really like it. As you can probably tell.

As for context for using this? Hm. Off the top of my head, I would say something along the lines of "Check this out. Did you know you can create an optical illusion with movement? Watch, here's the King of Diamonds, but if I get it spinning, it starts to look like the Kind of Spades ... then hearts ... then clubs ..."

Oh! Or this, "I used to watch the Batman cartoon before school when I was in third grade. There was an episode where the Joker put Batman into some kind of hypnotic sleep trance thing, and the way Batman figured it out was because you can't read things when you're sleeping. Ever had that happen to you? (Start the spin) I have that all the time. I try to read in my dreams, and it just keeps changing, morphing from one thing to another." (Go through four or so cards)

A little imagination and you can come up with presentation for almost anything. Those two ideas took literally ten seconds.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Honestly, I like this change just because of the multiple change.

What other colour changes can give you so many changes in such a short time? That in my opinion is the strength of this change. Using it as only one change is butchering IMO. There are many, many, better single colour changes that are easier to perform, less angly, etc. The only reason you'd prefer this one is the flourishy style. But for multiple changes, it's absolutely brilliant and in a field of its own.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Oh yeah. I definitely want to use the multiple changes. I can't, at this moment, think of another change that can happen multiple times so cleanly.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
As an update, I've been working pretty hard on this for the past couple days. I was having some trouble getting the change clean, but just now I did it in front of my mirror and I'm realizing I actually have it far better than I thought I did.

Still loving it!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results