Taking a break for a while...

Sep 9, 2008
Philippines
Let me ask you guys a question...

Do you guys take a break from practicing or performing magic?

Well, after practicing for a while, some people tend to stop because they get frustrated from over practicing a certain move. I would consider myself as one of those people who do so. One time in particular, I got a little frustrated and stopped for about 1-3 months. After getting back, I tried once more some moves or effects that I couldn't do before. After a few tries, I got to do them pretty well.

Well... I guess that my point is that you should stop for a while and take a rest like maybe for a day or two and that can actually help you instead of practicing it straight for a long period of time. Like the saying goes, "Too much of anything is bad", you could say that too much practicing is bad too. So take a break, and enjoy the moment because it'll actually help you improve.

Hope this could help a few people out there that over practice. :D

Apr 19, 2010
Cumbria, UK
I agree, sometimes i take a day or two off from magic and when i come back again i feel refreshed, it always helps. Like when im practicing say... a false deal for a while i take a break and when i come back i find im a little better. Its like weights, you build up a routine and have a few days rest and when you come back you notice the difference over a time period.

May 2, 2010
New York, New York
Let me ask you guys a question...

Do you guys take a break from practicing or performing magic?

Well, after practicing for a while, some people tend to stop because they get frustrated from over practicing a certain move. I would consider myself as one of those people who do so. One time in particular, I got a little frustrated and stopped for about 1-3 months. After getting back, I tried once more some moves or effects that I couldn't do before. After a few tries, I got to do them pretty well.

Well... I guess that my point is that you should stop for a while and take a rest like maybe for a day or two and that can actually help you instead of practicing it straight for a long period of time. Like the saying goes, "Too much of anything is bad", you could say that too much practicing is bad too. So take a break, and enjoy the moment because it'll actually help you improve.

Hope this could help a few people out there that over practice. :D

I do believe that over practicing is counterproductive IMO. I love to practice and try to often but only for so long. I think the most i did was close to 3 hours. Others could practice for days on end.

I use to play Pocket Billiards a lot. I got extremely good. But I was practicing for 6-8 hours everyday. I got sick of it down the line, the drive wasnt there.

Breaks are good. Take your vacation. Vacations are good.

Mike

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
The mind needs time to process the information you're cramming into it. And yes, learning a skill is processing information. You're creating new neural pathways. Only a few things can really be learned at any given time, so if you practice for really long stretches, you're not learning more. You're making your mind too tired to properly learn what you worked out in that first hour or so. I don't know the exact amount of time, but for me I tend to be most productive if my practice times are under two hours. Then I do stuff that's totally unrelated, or just sleep. I wake up and my brain has processed what I taught it, and I'm ready for more.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
I agree.
I use to get frustrated a lot starting out.
Sometimes it's better to just stop practicing and having a couple nights out doing something else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results