Beginner-ish flourishing

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
I was wondering if you could point me in the direction for beginner-ish flourishing. I'm pretty fluent in one handed cuts, fans, and some Sybil variations. Two-handed cuts are really what I'm looking for, but displays and other types of cardistry I wouldn't be against. I've been looking at getting Daniel Madison's Lethal, or maybe some other resources. Thanks in advance!

Ian

Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
just look around on youtube, there are plenty of videos from very good flourishers out there.

otherwise, any product by dan and dave or danial madison

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
if your looking into beginner two handed cuts i would suggest Motion from Daniel Madison's Dangerous. In my opinion they are not as complex as some Dan and Dave Cuts. They are a good start and the dvd is excellently produced. you could also look into the System by Dan and Dave. Again not as complex as the Trilogy ones, but i think they are a little more difficult than the Motion ones. However the only prerequisite for the System is knowing how to do the One Hand Revolution cut so maybe that is the best place to start. Also, many of their cuts have foundations in the Sybil style.

Apr 6, 2010
Ill get slated for saying this but get The Trilogy! The price is steep yes, but the content will last you a hell of a long time. Genesis is good for beginners, as you say you have all the basics down you will end up repeating them half the time in it.

I started magic and flourishing 3 months ago, before which i had hardly used a deck of cards properly, and i purchased The Trilogy after 2 weeks in and have never looked back. I already have the majority of the Jackson 5 down already, albeit not very fluid but that comes with time.

If you are really wanting to progress at flourishing, and you can put the effort and hard work in, it is perfect.

Don't waste your money on anything other than The Trilogy, Daniel Madisons stuff, or Genesis, those three are the best produced and most useful at the earlier stages in my opinion.

Good Luck.

May 10, 2010
Don't waste your money on anything other than The Trilogy, Daniel Madisons stuff, or Genesis, those three are the best produced and most useful at the earlier stages in my opinion.

I can't agree with you more. Really. Genesis is a perfect place to start. It was my first DVD into cardistry and I never regretted starting with it. Andrei is a really great teacher and guides you through all the moves really quickly. Within a week or two you'll be finding yourself doing one-hand cuts and perhaps a fan with slight ease. I would say Daniel Madison's Motion from Dangerous is another great resource to follow up after Genesis, especially if you like the Sybil cuts. The Trilogy will come difficult when you first start off, but have no fear. Dan and Dave gives you multiple angles to learn flourishes from. Lastly, these resources last you a long time. A long long time. Get them, you won't regret doing so.

Apr 6, 2010
I can't agree with you more. Really. Genesis is a perfect place to start. It was my first DVD into cardistry and I never regretted starting with it. Andrei is a really great teacher and guides you through all the moves really quickly. Within a week or two you'll be finding yourself doing one-hand cuts and perhaps a fan with slight ease. I would say Daniel Madison's Motion from Dangerous is another great resource to follow up after Genesis, especially if you like the Sybil cuts. The Trilogy will come difficult when you first start off, but have no fear. Dan and Dave gives you multiple angles to learn flourishes from. Lastly, these resources last you a long time. A long long time. Get them, you won't regret doing so.

I recommend The trilogy as the best out of all of them to start with once you have the basics down. Mainly because it contains some of the most popular/common flourishes and they all work off the basics. I went into the Trilogy with only knowledge of the charlier, scissor, revolution cuts and a few basic fans and the spring, and i had no trouble once i put in some effort. Plus it has a really good collection of visual magic as well.

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
Thanks guys. I've been learning from some of Kevin Ho's videos, which seem good for me. I'd love to pick up the System, as it seems way more beginner-ish than the Trilogy, but it's sold out, unfortunately. Motion looks great as well, I'll look into picking it up, or maybe Lethal since it's cheaper.

EDIT: Lethal actually looks like most of the Motion cuts with more added on. Can anyone vouch for which source is better? Lethal looks like it's the better deal.

I'd love to hear more, but you guys rock just for those comments. Thanks for the help guys.

Ian

Apr 6, 2010
I havent got The System, but from what i have seen of it, it is actually more involved than The Trilogy, in the sense that most of the material is all of the same level.

The Trilogy has a section on the third disk called Flourishes 101, which teaches all the basics you need, from the revolution and charlier to the fans, shuffles and all sorts of stuff. The level of variety of flourishes on the 2nd disk all range between beginner-ish to advanced, but you will accomplish any of them if you put enough time in. As i said before, i started 3 months ago and have already learnt the jackson 5, so if you put your mind to it anything is possible.

I cant comment on Motion yet as i am waiting for it to come in the post, however by what i have heard and seen, it has better presentation than the Trilogy, however i don't know whether it has as much of a range of stuff as The Trilogy.

May 10, 2010
I agree that Motion is better than Trilogy, especially if you're a fan of the Sybil variations. There are also clearer angles to learn from. However Trilogy has more originality if you ask me. Both DVDs are kick-ass nonetheless.

Here comes the solution when you ultimately compare d+M's flourishing. If you're only into cardistry and not magic, Dangerous is not for you. Lethal has almost 2 times more flourishes than Motion. And all the flourishes taught in Motion are taught in Lethal. And Lethal is cheaper. There. :D

Apr 6, 2010
I suggest just sticking to the main foundations like we have all said, The Trilogy, Genesis or Dangerous/Lethal.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 7, 2010
though the flourishes are good i dont like the teaching style of the trilogy they didnt actully talk they just had the word boxes which i didnt like

Apr 6, 2010
Its meant to be like that so people think for themselves instead of being spoon fed, just means you have to work a little harder but you get more benefits once you get to grips with it.

Jun 10, 2010
I'm about to get Genesis, maybe the 2-DVD set of Dangerous by d+M. I don't really like Trilogy's Flourishing section, or the flourishes101 part on "everythingelse", as neither have them explaining what to do. Where can I get lethal and the system?

Oh, Ian, I heard that lethal = almost all, if not all, of motion's flourishes and more that weren't on the motion dvd.

Jun 6, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'm about to get Genesis, maybe the 2-DVD set of Dangerous by d+M. I don't really like Trilogy's Flourishing section, or the flourishes101 part on "everythingelse", as neither have them explaining what to do. Where can I get lethal and the system?

Oh, Ian, I heard that lethal = almost all, if not all, of motion's flourishes and more that weren't on the motion dvd.

Get Lethal here
http://www.danielmadison.co.uk/Lethal.html
As for the System it's currently sold out at the D&D store. So, get it at exomagic
http://www.exomagic.net/index.php/the-system-by-dan-and-dave-buck-dvd.html

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results