Credit Know-How

May 30, 2010
Australia
Hi guys,

I have a quick question about credits. Let's say I had created an effect utilizing concepts and moves from other magicians. And when I decide to put it in the market, I of course credit the moves to those magicians.Here's my question, how does crediting work anyway?I mean, is it enough to place his name on the credits complete with the reference and source of the move or concept?Or do I have to contact him and ask for permission?Because in my effect, which utilizes his moves, I can't avoid explaining tidbits of their move in the sequence of techniques that form the trick...Which one is actually done in crediting?

I would appreciate help from the t11 staff as well,because, being a business in magic, crediting is very important and I know you guys know better than any one here how this is done.Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Sep 13, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
well, that is an interesting concern. I would say that if the buyer of your effect will be able to figure out the other person's effect based on what you teach him, I would not publish it without permission. I would get permission either way, but thats just me. And of course, give credit where credit is due. Obviously.

May 18, 2008
Well, since it is almost impossible to patent ideas, none of this stuff is "required". That being said, it is INCREDIBLY unethical to not credit in any way.

As far as permission goes, I, personally, always ask ANYONE and EVERYONE who my moves even RESEMBLE. Then, after receiving permission, I always include their name at least somewhere in the book or DVD.

So, as far as crediting goes, you don't have to go overboard with it (unless it is THEIR move exactly) but it is always a good idea to put their name in an easily accessible place. With permission, it is always good form.

Ideally, get permission and then credit too.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results