Has anyone seen this effect published?

Aug 20, 2008
Sauquoit New York
Ok, so i have this effect that ive been doing for about a year now that i just love.

EFFECT:
an envelope is put on the table.
a card is selected and remembered (never removed from the deck)
a second deck is introduced, and spread face down on the table.
the spectator FREELY touches any card they want.
the card is revealed to be the same card as the one they selected
the envelope is opened revealing a note the says, x does not mark the spot
the deck that was in full view the entire time is flipped face up.
the ENTIRE deck has large permanent x's on the faces, and ALL of the cards are different.

NO GIMMICKS

I am extremely proud of this effect, and wish to publish and eventually market. if anyone has seen this effect on the market, or in any text, i would love to know.

magicaly,
Ryan Bliss (Blissfulldeception)

Aug 20, 2008
Sauquoit New York
@justice,

thanks for your comment,

i know that effects along this line are not mine, but this method, i believe is. i wanted to model the x card effect from jay sankey's invisible DVD, but didnt want gimmicks, and still wanted it to be easy to do

Aug 14, 2009
Behind a mask
@justice,

thanks for your comment,

i know that effects along this line are not mine, but this method, i believe is. i wanted to model the x card effect from jay sankey's invisible DVD, but didnt want gimmicks, and still wanted it to be easy to do

haha cool man, whats is the presentation or patter that you have been using? I see this trick with some room for patter :)

Aug 20, 2008
Sauquoit New York
well, i prefer to use preshow work. this way i can have someone come up and just THINK of a card. thus eliminating the first deck. then its turns into a creepy mentalism trick, which is something i really dig. im not gonna give up my script haha

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
well, i prefer to use preshow work. this way i can have someone come up and just THINK of a card. thus eliminating the first deck. then its turns into a creepy mentalism trick, which is something i really dig. im not gonna give up my script haha

Ah i see where you're going with this ... if you feel the first deck is kinda awkward, is it possible for you to make spec 1 pick a card, if the the Xs are on the face of the other cards, it shouldn't be a problem ... hopefully, and have spec 2 touch one card from the same deck spread face down ...

Or you can try to include john kennedy's mind power deck into it, that way you can really read their mind !!!!

I don't know UR method to accomplish the effect so I'm just throwing ideas at you :)

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Hi Ryan,

Sounds like you're proud of this effect, so congrats on creating it :)

As far as predecessors goes...

I'm not sure this specific effect has been done (although my knowledge is paltry compared to some). What I would note though is that the plot, I'm fairly sure, has been done before, although I couldn't tell you where it has been published before, or by whom.

The way I see it is this: the effect is a combination of two plots.

1) Sympathetic cards/premonition/coincidence effect. At it's core, the first half is really, someone selects a card, someone else selects a card, and they match. It's something that is reasonably common as far as effects go, although usually it's the magi selecting one of the cards (as opposed to two spectators). But the plot can really be taken in any direction as the reveal can be done in any number of ways.

2) Brainwave effect. In the original effect, one person names a card, and it is the only card in the deck with an odd coloured back. In fact, I believe Jay Sankey even had a brainwave deck that featured X's on some of the cards, and it could be shown that it was the only card without an X on it.

So basically, yeah. This combination of effects may well be original, but really, the effect appears to be variations on two separate plots placed together - both of which have a long history.

If you're serious about marketing it, I'd recommend sending a PM to Brad Henderson here on the forum, and I'm sure he'll be able to give you specifics about crediting and the plots I've mentioned.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I use permanent X's on my Invisible Deck Routine like Sankey and it kills every time.

I use a envelope trick by David Regal where the selected, signed, card appears from an envelope.

But..nothing in combination of the two like your effect reads.

Sep 24, 2007
If you have found a clean and novel method, i congratulate you, but the effect could be done with a simple undercull force, couldn't it?

Ok, so i have this effect that ive been doing for about a year now that i just love.

EFFECT:
an envelope is put on the table.
a card is selected and remembered (never removed from the deck)
a second deck is introduced, and spread face down on the table.
the spectator FREELY touches any card they want.
the card is revealed to be the same card as the one they selected
the envelope is opened revealing a note the says, x does not mark the spot
the deck that was in full view the entire time is flipped face up.
the ENTIRE deck has large permanent x's on the faces, and ALL of the cards are different.

NO GIMMICKS

I am extremely proud of this effect, and wish to publish and eventually market. if anyone has seen this effect on the market, or in any text, i would love to know.

magicaly,
Ryan Bliss (Blissfulldeception)

No offense to anyone here at T11 but doing research on effects T11 is not the ideal place for that question, if you need referalls feel free to PM me and I'll see what I can do to point you in the right direction, unfortunatly I had to learn that the hard way.

Shane

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results