Blink

Aug 14, 2009
Behind a mask
I'd love some feedback on my snap change variation, Blink.

Newer video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR-ulUHJr6s
Older video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAAIC8g31Io

In my opinion, they are both the same level of quality in performance.

Ian

I only watched the newer video so I'm doing my critique based on that video.

Actually, not meant to be rude, but I don't see any improvement at all, and the way in wich you cleaned up, it has been done before I'm sure.

I Imagine that the variation here is the little twirl at the beggining but In my opinion it doesn't looks pretty. There is something about the way in wich you handle the cards that I don't like, I can't actually tell what.

The idea for the transpo is good but you are taking waaaay to much time to display the last card, and It sure looks really fishy. If you own the trilogy, there is a move in "tivo" that allows you to show the top card as if you were showing the middle one. Why not use that instead?

Have a nice day

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
Actually, there is a variation in both the twirl flourish and the cleanup. And you said "I'm sure", which means you don't know. And once you told me not to speak if I didn't know, so I extend the same advice to you.

I do know Tivo, and I'll consider using that move, it's a nice idea.

Ian

Aug 14, 2009
Behind a mask
And you said "I'm sure", which means you don't know.

Nope It means that I do know but that I don't have the time right now to dig up the references.

EDIT::// I for one have been doing it that way for quite some time now. ( I mean the cleanup )

Variation in the cleanup? you actually take the card with the hand holding the deck. Is that your method I don't see the variation there.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I believe that's Marlo's cleanup. At least, the guy that I know that does the cleanup that way credits Marlo.

Aug 14, 2009
Behind a mask
Asking for exposure on a public forum is a poor display of ethics. There is a variation in the cleanup, and there's actually two ways I do it.

Ian

Wait what? Your poor display of skill is what is telling of the method. By the way thanks to chris because of the reference of the move.

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
Christopher, thank you for pointing that out. ;)

Justice, my video did not openly reveal the effect or cleanup to my knowledge in any way. No need to be abrasive. If you'd like to further delegate on the issue we should resolve it through PMs.

Ian

Jul 13, 2008
There was a LITTLE bit of a flash during the cleanup but it's nothing too major. That cleanup has been done before, though. All in all, I thought you did a decent job.

Oct 17, 2007
SG
This is the handling of the snap change used by Henry Hay, detailed in the 'Amateur Magicians Handbook". Its quite an old text, and Mr. Hay was one of the students of T. Nelson Downs

This cleanup is not new, I have seen it done a million and one times.

Justice was not being abrasive in any way, you asked for the publics opinion and he gave his. Weather it is to your taste or not is irrelevent to the facts. I have seen it before and it is generally getting on my nerves, I think that you need to learn to take constuctive critasism better, when you ask for someones opinion it does not mean that it should suit your thoughts.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
I'm not going to say, "it's not anything new, it's been done before", because that's already been established. I've been doing that snap change clean up like this for about one and a half years now, though I hold the cards horizontally for the change, not vertically.

By the way, you hesitated quite a bit on your BP control in the transpo version. Nothing too major, but it throws the rhythm.

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
To be fair, guys, I never, ever, claimed this to be original. I said it was my own variation. Someone pointed the source out to me, and I thanked them. So there's really no need to assume that.

@canadamagic: Justice practically revealed the cleanup. Had he not done that, I would've been fine, but this is a non-exposure forum. I realize there was a very, very slight flash, but instead of pointing that out, he just told me the method. I do take constructive criticism. Through these posts I've learned several sources to look into, and an interesting snap change application.

Ian

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Ian, I don't wish to take sides here, but I'm sure you can understand how "my own variation" can imply originality and ownership? The words "my own" pretty much represent ownership as well as any words in the english language. Having said that, I don't think you've acted terribly out of turn, but I don't think Justice has either.

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
Ian, I don't wish to take sides here, but I'm sure you can understand how "my own variation" can imply originality and ownership? The words "my own" pretty much represent ownership as well as any words in the english language. Having said that, I don't think you've acted terribly out of turn, but I don't think Justice has either.

I could understand that, Prae. Although, I meant it as a personal variation. I should've been more clear with the wording, so I do apologize. Thanks for pointing that out.

Ian

Jul 13, 2009
Hmm, also besides the snap change. The push over get ready for the double at the end, was a bit jarring. Try to get it earlier on and make the turn over to reveal smoother.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results