Magic Circle, too old?

Sep 1, 2007
Germany
Hey Guys,
i just wanted to tell u a little story (more a problem i have) of my Magic Circle in Germany.
I had a few meetings with those guys and showed them my magic and they showed my their... it was pretty funny but (her comes the problem into play) they are so old...the youngest guy in there is like 65 years old, i know u can learn a lot from old magicians but they are so leashed to their stereotypes(they don't even now the Charlier Cut).Most of them are in to staging, a few who´re doing close up and only 2 people which are really in to cards(and my slight of hand is already better). at the last meeting they ask me to join but i´m not sure because its not my kind of magic and those people do not life the magic like i do they doesn't see the beauty in magic no more.
but here in Germany there are no alternatives for young magicians (or do u know one?).
I really would love to have a wingman or kind of mentor but thats not possible with those guys and i´am sick and tiered of just cant exchange experiences with somebody else...
so maybe u guys can help me because i cant get this problem out of my head even lots of my friends noticed that something is wrong with me...
thank you for listening

btw:i´m 18 years old and sorry for my bad English :D

Sep 8, 2007
Adelaide, Australia
I don't think that they are too old.
My Grandfather is one of my biggest mentors. He's well in to his 80s now, and there is so much that I can still learn from him.
You mentioned that your sleight of hand is better than theirs is, but is it better than theirs was?
Maybe you can learn the routines with out them, but I'm sure they could help you in making them in to a performance master piece. The perfection of a trick comes not only in the sleights, but in the presentation of the routine. Maybe this is where they can help you.

Also, as you find more young people, take them along to the meetings, and get a good age cross section there. It will make it a lot more enjoyable for everyone.

Sep 1, 2007
Germany
yeah i know what ya mean.but how many time does your circle (if u have one) meet,they only meet once a month for about 3-4 hours and i talked to a few of them and they are not really willing to meet more often or meet besides of the circle.And i put a lot of time in magic an XCM about 7 hours a day. because i love magic!!!

Sep 1, 2007
on Theory11.
So they're pressuring you to join? You have to ask yourself this question: Do you really want to join? If not, just explain to them your situation and surely they will understand. They probably havn't had many new members in a while (correct me if I'm wrong) and they just want to have someone new around that has a passion for magic.

-Matt

Sep 1, 2007
Germany
So they're pressuring you to join? You have to ask yourself this question: Do you really want to join? If not, just explain to them your situation and surely they will understand. They probably havn't had many new members in a while (correct me if I'm wrong) and they just want to have someone new around that has a passion for magic.

-Matt

you are right they haven't had many the last years but the problem is its the biggest circle in Germany, and if u are not in you have very rare chance in Germany.
Maybe i should join Daniel Madison's UMC... :p
Or does any one know other big circles in Germany.

Sep 1, 2007
Oh my god I'm in Beijing China
Magic here is just something for kids to show off!Getting chicks!
Nearly nobody here is really into magic.
People copy videos,mp3s freely,and no one respect the hardworking of magician.
You can get 100 volume of magic DVDs for less than 12 dollars
People never knows sybil called "sybil",they called it "four packet cut",do not even think they will credit anyone!
The FISM will be held in Beijing at the year 2009,but this city--even the country do not have the qualification for this!

Sep 1, 2007
Oh my god I'm in Beijing China
Magic here is just something for kids to show off!Getting chicks!
Nearly nobody here is really into magic.
People copy videos,mp3s freely,and no one respect the hardworking of magician.
You can get 100 volume of magic DVDs for less than 12 dollars
People never knows sybil called "sybil",they called it "four packet cut",do not even think they will credit anyone!
The FISM will be held in Beijing at the year 2009,but this city--even the country do not have the qualification for this!

Umm... how is this related to this thread at all?

What you are saying here is completely stereotyping the Chinese population. Sure, I agree that there are many unethical methods of obtaining the learning methods. However, you are basically implying that every person in Beijing do this. And to be honest, I feel completely offended (being Chinese myself).

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results