Seriously Studying Magic / Keeping a Journal

Feb 18, 2010
Hi! After reading some stuff like Darwin Ortiz Strong Magic, I've become more and more interested in studying card magic. I don't mean jsut studying sleights or techniques but the theory behind them( don't know if I'm making sense). I'm interested in the principles in why some of the tricks work( psychology,misdirection). Can anyone suggest good resources to learn about this stuff?

Another thing, do you guys keep a journal to keep track of your progress, ideas for tricks..etc. How do you go about keeping your journal if you are.

Thanks!

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Yes, I keep a journal, and it functions like an art diary. I place whatever I want, whenever I want - there's no real structure to it. Some pages have pictures of inspiring things, others are pages of notes from books like Strong Magic, and still others are just lists of things I want, things I want to learn, things to work on, notable things, etc. I also use them to script out my routines. I think it's a great idea.

As far as other resources go, absolutely. Try Ken Weber's Maximum Entertainment, Henning Nelm's Magic and Showmanship, Dariel Fitzkee's Fitzkee Trilogy, Tommy Wonder's Books of Wonder, are ones that pop to mind straight away.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Journals are a great way to keep ideas, concepts, etc. for future reference. Any time I go to a jam session or a lecture it goes with me to take notes or to write down pointers, or steps to an effect. It isn't anything special. Just an old spiral notebook.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
My journal is similar to prae's, notes here and there with scattered ideas and random things cut and pasted throughout. I actually number pages and ideas and have them written in the inner cover so I can find things quickly.

I have everything from tricks that I wanted to learn, handling changes of tricks I do, all the way to thoughts on magic in general and random lists of presentation ideas or entire act ideas. It helps focus, drive, and retention when it comes to ideas and effects.

Sep 3, 2007
I tried keeping a journal for awhile but it didn't work out well for me. I ended up taking notes and writing out tricks that ultimately have changed over time. And with all of the notes on notes and notes on those notes it failed miserably. If you're seriously studying magic, whether as a hobby or a profession. You're going to end up with more than just one notebook friend! Maybe 20 at the least. What I would recommend is to get a webcam and keep a video notebook. You can revisit your ideas without having to wonder about what you were thinking.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I have somewhat recently started keeping a pretty thorough journal. Much like Prae's except I have no drawings, because I can't draw worth a damn. I write about my own theories, trick ideas, scripting ideas, character development, performances, etc. It's also my personal journal, so there's a lot in there about my life as well. It's a nice journal, with a leather cover that ties shut.

Journaling, I find, let's one really organize their thoughts. When you're just thinking randomly your thoughts wander, but to write them down you have to organize them. I find this helps clarify the ideas into realistic ideas.

Feb 18, 2010
Nice ideas! Just bought my notebook. Its small( pocket size). I figured I can put in ideas for tricks that pop to mind although, entire scripts won't fit in a page. Maybe I can put in notes also like insights I get while reading books.

The journal kinda reminds me of that magicians notebook from "the Prestige", if anyone here has seen the movie.

Waiting for an idea to pop in so that I can begin writing.:)

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
If you haven't read designing miracles by darwin ortiz yet, I'd suggest that. But I do keep a journal, i script things in it, write down effects Ive used and performed and if i got it from a book i write the book and page # so i can check back. I also keep set lists in it and ideas for things. Its really random I don't have a structure to it.

Aug 31, 2007
California
If you can get a copy of Absolute Magic, do it. It's the greatest thing related to magic that Ive purchased. And keeping a journal is a great idea. Write down what worked well and what didn't work well in your performances. This will allow you to see what you need to change specifically and what you don't need to change to get closer that point of creating magic.

Pay attention to the little things.

Goodluck!

Feb 4, 2008
Isn't the first volume of Ascano all theory? If anyone has it...is it worth the read? And finally, whichone is a better start in theory, Ascano or Ortiz?

Jun 10, 2010
If you can get a copy of Absolute Magic, do it. It's the greatest thing related to magic that Ive purchased. And keeping a journal is a great idea. Write down what worked well and what didn't work well in your performances. This will allow you to see what you need to change specifically and what you don't need to change to get closer that point of creating magic.

Pay attention to the little things.

Goodluck!

Where can I get a copy of absolute magic online?

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Ascanio has only four volumes in english, called The Magic of Ascanio, vol. 1-4. Volume one deals with his theoretical approach to magic. Volumes 2 and 3 are dedicated to card magic, and Volume 4 to magic with pocket knives.

saborfang17 - You can't, legally. They were originally sold in a very limited edition. Every now and again, you can find one on eBay, but that's about it.

Jun 10, 2010
Ascanio has only four volumes in english, called The Magic of Ascanio, vol. 1-4. Volume one deals with his theoretical approach to magic. Volumes 2 and 3 are dedicated to card magic, and Volume 4 to magic with pocket knives.

saborfang17 - You can't, legally. They were originally sold in a very limited edition. Every now and again, you can find one on eBay, but that's about it.

(Insert frustrated look here)

Oh well. Worth a shot on eBay anyway..

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results