Emotional Intelligence Luke Jermay

May 11, 2009
Due to the fact that even though the teasers are not really that great, we know Luke Jermay is joining T11 for an effect. So i've been a big fan and bought most of Luke's stuff so i thought i would review some of them. Starting with one of the most popular one, emotional intelligence.

What they say:
Jermay's room-shattering THREE PHASE mind reading routine. Entertaining a room full of people has never been this easy! Completely impromptu. Can be done on business cards.

What I say:
This is a really good effect and have performed it a couple of times, and when i did, i got pretty good reactions.

Performence:
Ok. So i saw the trailer and was really interested in what Luke had to offer. The performence is as follows. You have 8 cards (blank) that have diferent topics on them. You ask someone to pick one and you read their mind of what one they did pick. Thats the first phase. The second is you cause a second person to read the spectators mind. and the third you go into more detail of what those things of the topic are (picking different cards for each phase).

Method of 1st phase:
I really like this and anybody can do this whether you suck with cards or not anyone can do this it is so easy. so props for that :).

Method of 2nd phase:
This one you will be a little disapointed on but try it because it will work. it is not 100% but Luke gives you GREAT outs so you have no excuse at all ;). Just try it because it works about 80% of the time.

Method of 3rd phase:
My favorite, but this is just basically a version of the classic plot. im not going to tell what the plot is because i dont want to give the method away. But if you know a little about metalism, you will know how to do this effect right away. Very easy though.

Angles:
You can perform from all angles so yeah 5/5.

Difficulty:
Easy as anything really. One of the easiest effects to do 1/5 (low being easy)

Teaching:
Teaching is great and i have to complaints about that 5/5.

Overall:
I really like this effect and is very easy. So try it out and you won't be disapointed. The only thing you have to know is that you have to have a GOOD presentation (as with any other effect though) or else it won't look that good. But dont let that stop you. If you like Metalism, have Buisness cards, and carry Index cards or something, or even if you carry these cards with you, you will love this so check it out (a little overpriced i think but hell, isn't all magic now a days). I give the effect a solid 4/5. check it out.

PS
if you want me to do any reviews on any other Luke jermay things, let me know and i'll do it.

warm regards

James

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I remember watching a (poor) performance of this a few months back. I'll just say this. The effect itself is very strong. But if you can't present it, then you're not getting the most out of it.

I would also say that the difference in attitudes between magicians and mentalists will be abundantly clear from parts of E.I.

I will also venture out a personal opinion on why I've never performed this. The effect plays on emotions. And the method of selecting an emotion is through cards. There's a logical disconnect there that I've never been able to reconcile. The thought of speaking about emotions, divining emotions, and then going to written words on cards? That's not an emotion. There's a great effort here to make it relevant subsequently to the spectator, but I can't get past that initial thing personally...

Feb 4, 2008
This one got me into mentalism and it works well for it's intended purpose. I think it is a great way for classically trained magicians to enter the world of mentalism. The best part about it is the freedom you have to explore cold reading...actually that is the reason Luke Jermay created this one.

I've been studying a lot more mentalism lately which has kind of put this one on the shelf but I do have fond recollections of E.I. performances. For anyone interested in mentalism I highly recommend it. For experienced mentalists??? I can't say really. I'm sure you should defer to Prea's opinion for that one.

Jan 16, 2008
I agree with praetoritevong here. If you can identify emotions felt strongly by an individual, why the need to write it down on paper? That, for me, downsizes the effect slightly, although the effect overall can be devastating in the right hands.
E.I. is probably better performed in professional hands.

Feb 4, 2008
It will work fine for that. Some of the performance footage is at a show about that size.

Jan 16, 2008
Why do you ask eostresh?
I think it plays quite nicely, but in my venues the effect doesn't play as big as I would imagine.

May 11, 2009
Thanks guys for everything, i think im going to review Koran's Medallion by Luke Jermay next.

Warm regards

James

Feb 4, 2008
Why do you ask eostresh?
I think it plays quite nicely, but in my venues the effect doesn't play as big as I would imagine.
Just curious. It's another three phase mentalism routine that can play impromptu and for small audiences...heck you could do it with one spectator if you wanted. I can see how it wouldn't play for a large audience but there are plenty of mentalism routines that fill that niche. Anyways, Luke Jermay focussed on it as a part of an online class I took and I really liked that routine. I think it, like E.I. could be used as a platform for practicing "cold reading" if you scripted it right.

Jan 16, 2008
Just curious. It's another three phase mentalism routine that can play impromptu and for small audiences...heck you could do it with one spectator if you wanted. I can see how it wouldn't play for a large audience but there are plenty of mentalism routines that fill that niche. Anyways, Luke Jermay focussed on it as a part of an online class I took and I really liked that routine. I think it, like E.I. could be used as a platform for practicing "cold reading" if you scripted it right.

I do enjoy "A Day in Your Life", but I've always wanted to change the things that you reveal, because what the participant ate for breakfast, lunch, and dinner doesn't really seem miraculous to me. If performed at the right time, and throwing in some cold-reading to boot, I think this will be an amazing AAA effect.

Btw eostresh, by Luke Jermay's online class, did you mean his PMM class on Penguinmagic?

Feb 4, 2008
I do enjoy "A Day in Your Life", but I've always wanted to change the things that you reveal, because what the participant ate for breakfast, lunch, and dinner doesn't really seem miraculous to me. If performed at the right time, and throwing in some cold-reading to boot, I think this will be an amazing AAA effect.

Btw eostresh, by Luke Jermay's online class, did you mean his PMM class on Penguinmagic?
Exactly! In fact when I first read it I thought...how stupid! But then we went over some changes in presentation (no more this one under the right foot, this one under the left crap) and changes in what was revealed. It was a very valuable lesson in how to read some of those older books on mentalism. Most of the core methods in that book are still very valuable all you really need to do is update some of the presentations.

And yes it was the PMM class at Penguin. Awesome class. I hope they get some of the technical problems worked out and put it on...or the 13 steps class on again sometime.

Feb 4, 2008
Just curious, where does an object go if you place it under the left crap? What does this "left crap" constitute, precisely?

...Is it impromptu? :eek:
Sorry I should have been more clear. In the original routine you have the spec. write his breakfast, lunch, and dinner on three different notes. One goes under the left foot, one under the right foot, and the third is held to the forehead (I think.) Anyways, the locations are a bit odd for a modern day audience and the reveal of what someone ate is a bit dull so those were thrown out and new patter and routining was added. It turned into a fantastic effect. And yes, it is impromptu.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results