Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
A Magician`s Journal
"Capitan George"
Journal of july 13

A lot of days
in my way to work
around 9:00 am

There goes again...Capitan George...I look at it through the window of my car while going to work, each time I look at it, I let my mind fly to think what would it be to be there..

Capitan George is a restaurant-bar-sea food place, but it`s not like any other sea food restaurant, it`s one of the most important, expensive and luxurious place in the whole area surrounding my city, even without completion, the reservations for the first week were sold, and the kind of people that goes to this place is the most influential and powerful people here, and usually they like to do business and other things there...well for 30 bucks the plate, I think this people mean business ...

I continue to wonder about it, then I think the obvious, what kind of magician could work there? what it would be to work there? will I ever get the courage of going there and ask?

"Maybe this weekend" and then I take that thought to the back of my head again...and go on with my life

Saturday july 10
My Home
2:00 pm

I get ready to go to the barbecue I was invited some weeks ago, lot`s of meat and football
"nice" I think while doing some things in my home, I think I could just go to eat and leave, because I want to go to do some magic tonight to the Plaza Campestre since I need some money for that EMC thing, and well other stuff...

So I dress somehow sport and leave with my brothers and spend some nice time eating, chatting and playing with friends

The Barbecue
7:00 pm

"It`s getting late" I think while playing my third football game in the day, maybe I could leave in 1 hour so I have enough time to take a shower, dress and prepare my repertoire, in the meantime I think I could use another steak.

Then I look around and see one of my brothers with a lovely lady, chatting, having a nice time and I remember the general rule between brothers concerning the ladies..

"when someone of us is flirting with a girl, the others brothers are obligated to stay until he gets the girl`s phone number or gets a slap in the face, of course this is only applied if they come in the same car"

So I am obligated to stay there, no big deal, I am having a great time and I just hang around...

The Barbecue
12:00 am

Ok, he got her phone so we can leave, anyway it`s very late and I decide to not go to do magic tonight and just have a good night sleep...

I chat with him and I look through the window of my car and I see a new place near my house, it`s a little lovely plaza with a couple of restaurants and a couple of bars, "sweet and it`s full" I say to myself maybe tonight won`t be so bad for magic after all...

I arrive to my home and go upstairs to my room, I select my repertoire and I take out my clothes, I am very quick to dress if I have my clothes ready, then I go and take a quick shower and in no time I am in my car driving to that place.

Outside
12:45 am

I find a parking spot very quick and just take out my deck and start flourishing while I walk to the plaza, I think about what I am going to do and why I am doing it mmm...basicly extend my "territory", spread the word,test myself and have some money...suddenly it hits me...I have no attitude...well,not exactly, I just don´t feel excited, and I think I know the reason, maybe I am very tired and somehow I don´t have energy to perform all night, besides I feel to full, damn steaks!!

So with the tail between my legs I return to my car and I remember there a coffee machine near so I decide to get some in order to relax, maybe I´ll play in my house with my x-box I don´t know...then I turn my head to the right and I see it...Capitan George. I stop some meters after the place and think "should I go now?" I have good tricks right now, and I am dress with style...but I don´t know If I didn´t have atittude back there how can I have it now?...as I think I decide to leave my fears and doubts in the car and just go and see what happens.

Capitan George
1:15 am

I enter the place and I see why it´s one of the most talked-about places in the area, this place looks awesome every single detail screams style and also the hostess that receives me..

"Welcome to Capitan George, are you here to met somebody? or you will wait for "
"No, I am looking for the manager"
"and what would be your business, sir?" sir!!! are you kidding me!! I have 24!!
"I am here to offer my services to this restaurant"
"ok, do you have a business card so the manager can see it?"
"oh yes!! of course" I say while giving one
"wait here! sir" again with that sir thing!!!

The wait is long or at least I feel it that way, also the bodyguards stare at me like wondering what am I doing here, I start flourishing to distract me and I look at them and they remain serious, I think this would be the kind of bodyguards I would like to have, they are not easily distracted and remain serious

"sir, the manager is busy at the moment, should you desire, you can wait for him here in the lobby"
"ok,I´ll wait"

Attachments

• DSC02135.jpg
    DSC02135.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC02136.jpg
    DSC02136.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 113
Last edited by a moderator:

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
15 min pass...

"Hello,my name is Everardo Gutierrez and I am the manager, what can I do for you?" he says while I take a quick look at him, this guy is like stone-carved, his face doesn´t show any trace of emotion and his eyes are like a deep well..

"Hello I am Luis Vega, and I am here to improve your service here?"
"is that so? how would you do that?" the stone voice says
"well I am a magician and I entertain people, so basicly that`s what I do, I entertain your costumers while they are waiting their food, I increase the traffic in slow days, I can work with the kitchen in case the food of some costumers takes too long,If you have special events I will glady entertain the costumers and I believe I am the only one in this city that offers you this kind of service"
"that is not true...I just say to another magician to stay the hell out of here, because he really sucked" what?!! I wasn´t aware there was other magician doing this here...I am gonna have to check that later..
"I can assure you that I am the only one to offer not only this kind of service, but a high quality of entertainment"
"ok, show me what you got"
I start doing my usual routine starting with SURE? and he only says without smiling "that´s my card"
I continue with a short ACR and he says "amazing" without smiling again
then I finish with Dissolution my card to wallet and I see a very tiny smile if it wasnt because could be some reflexes...

"ok, it´s very impresive,you are much better than the other one that came sometime ago, I would like to see you in action, there is a table of people that are great costumers" he tells me while taking me to a table full of people smiling and having a great time
"hello everybody! how are you doing tonight?"
"great!"
"awesome!! how about some magic to have an even greater night?!" I say while doing a very big card spring
"WOW!!!" they scream while the manager stands near silently very serious, I can feel his eyes on me
I start my routine consists on:
+SURE?
+CARD TO MOUTH
+ACR
+DISSOLUTION
+ONE COIN ROUTINE WITH A SILVER OZ PRODUCTION AT THE END
+BILLSWITCH AND LIFE

when I am done everybody claps, great! I needed this kind of response in order to impress the manager, then I look at him, and he keeps quiet and serious "what do I have to do to impress this guy?!, appear an elephant from a silk?!!"

the manager approaches and tells me that there another table where he would like to test me, since they are great costumers as well...

I introduce myself to them and do the same routine, but this time I finish with Liquid Metal, well maybe the manager doesn´t look impressed, but the table is and they clap and then I look to the manager and he calls me with his finger

"I am very impressed, I really like the way you behave and control the audience, here the other table left you a tip" I take it, and it´s around 10 bucks!! sweet!!
"I think we can work together, tell me how much do you charge or what kind of benefits you ask"
"well in this case I work in blocks of 2 hours and I charge 1000 pesos (around 100 bucks) for 2 hours"
"interesting...but you ask for tips if this would be the case"
"should you desire I won´t ask for tips, but if somebody offers me a tip, of course I take it"
"I rather pay you more than let you receive tips,mmm...another things I should know?"
"I do speak english fluenty in case you have foreign costumers and should you desire I can dress accordingly this wonderful place"
"well, that is actually very helpful, foreign costumers comes here all the time and yes, I want you to come dressing very nice, since this restaurant is all about style and money"
"So I am hired?"
"not yet, let me talk with resources, I´ll make you an appointment for tuesday at 5:00, can you make it?"
"of course"
"ok,so see you then.."

I say goodbye and leave, I´ll try to forget about this until tuesday, also I won´t say anybody about this...yet...

Capitan George
tuesday july 14
5:00 pm

Again in this lobby...I wonder what he decided, I don`t think I made a bad impression last time I was here neither that I charge him a lot, I think it will be ok and that he was impressed, well in his mind, because I can`t imagine how hard is to make a smile with a stone mouth...

"Hello, Luis Vega?"
"yes"
"the manager is waiting for you"
"ok"

I enter to a big room with some tables and I see the manager sitting down with a laptop, he vows his hand to a chair and I sit down..

"Hello Luis, as you can see,I just got a metting with the restaurant personel and we discuss some topics and you were included"
"ok"
"I`ve talk to them and I really want my costumers to be entertained while they are here, aside form being the only restaurant to offer this kind of service, to be honest I have never seen another restaurant with a a magician, and I really like your style"
"so glad you thought about this"
"I want to be sincere with you, I really want you working for us and I feel you price is neither cheap or expensive, I think is fair, but we never thought to have a magician in the payroll because is not normal, and I mentioned the owner about this, he is never here in Leon, but he seemed interested"
"so what are you telling me?"
"I am telling you that we can`t pay you right now until I speak with the owner and authorizes this, but I want you to come here, so we can see how you behave with our costumers in real-time in real life, so I can enough arguments to tell the owner to hire you as the house magician...I don`t feel confortable for you to ask for tips, but I can`t do anything about that"
"ok, I propose you something"
"I am all ears"
"how about I give you a month to see how it goes, 4 fridays, and you let me ask for tips this month, then I believe that would be enough time for you and the owner to see how this goes and then we sit again here and talk about a permanent position"
"mmm...still not comfortable about the tips things, but I know you can`t work for free and I reallly want you to be with us...Ok!! let`s do it"
"ok, so I think that would be all"
"ok, so see you in friday at 10:00pm, be here early and I am glad to work with you"
"right..see you around"

I leave and think about the deal, I wasn`t expecting this, because I want to have a real magician job, also I think working for tips again is not what I wanted...however I am working in a place where the most powerful and influential people of the area gathers all weekends to eat, the tips are far better that the ones I receive in the Plaza Campestre and I`ll get to met people and make contacts...

I leave to my home...let`s see how this goes on friday...

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
Wow what a great story Luis! If you play your cards right you can become bigger than you could of imagine! Luis I have faith in you and I know you can pull this off.

Once again great story Luis.

Jul 14, 2008
Hey Luis!

Thank you for sharing the story! I am a bit surprised that the manager showed no emotion when you perform because the types of effects that you do are highly entertaining! But, I guess people have a different way to react with magic.

Again, great story and I am looking forward to hear you some more

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Luis,

Inspirational. Thanks for sharing. All the best to you my friend. I am looking to do some restaurant work again. Your story inspires me to get off my but. I am looking forward to hearing how the month goes!

JM

May 15, 2010
With Gerard Way
That was great Luis, you just gave me so much confidence to get a restaurant gig soon. Hopefully I can. I am working on a routine for the close up gallery at the magic castle so when I am a junior member I can get to work right away.

This was one of your best journals yet, I can't wait to hear more. Great job. :D

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Luis,
I'm pumped for ya bro. If you start making some serious connections here you could be making some nice money outside the establishment let alone honing your skills ever more. Good luck and please keep us informed.

Rick

Jul 13, 2010
Malaysia
hey... luis! all the best dude... wow
wish you luck man!!
i wish i can get a restaurant gig...
aww... practice more!! XD

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Thanks for the kind words everybody!!!

@nino: Gracias we!!

@Justin Morris: I am so glad you got inspired from this!!

@reverhart: thanks Rick!! That was what I was thinking! otherwise I wouldn`t have accepted working for tips, even for a month

@SKSleighofHand: thanks man!! imagine how I felt when I was there..that dude is really stone-carved

@melvin: thanks for the good wishes!! you can do it too man!!

@Praetoritevong: thanks!! I`ll try to keep my dreams going...and I appreciate the compliment!!

@MalibuARMY: So glad you could take something out from this story...I believe in you and I know you can do it...good luck!!

more photos!! I took them with my cellphone...

Attachments

• IMG0102A.jpg
    IMG0102A.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG0101A.jpg
    IMG0101A.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 68
Jul 13, 2010
Malaysia
wow.. dude.. the environment kinda classy~
congrats Luis! nice venue!
keep up the work!!
and your story motivates me!!
RAWR!!
practice practice!! XD

Nov 7, 2009
Paris, France
Really really nice ;)
And good job for this restaurant! Don't worry about the manager though, he stays impassive so he doesn't have to pay you too much, and because he's behaving profesionnaly with his clients. Looking forward for more ;)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results