Types of Tricks

Nov 12, 2008
Hello, I've been trying to organize my magic into certain categories. I'm not talking about penetrations, vanishes, etc. I'm talking about certain types of card effects such as Triumph effects, color changing cards, card to impossible place, two/three card monte etc. I'm trying to find a source for this but I cannot find one.

I'm also looking to do this for other types of magic such as coin magic with spellbound routines, one coin routine, tenkai pennies, matrix, etc. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Much appreciated!

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Hello, I've been trying to organize my magic into certain categories. I'm not talking about penetrations, vanishes, etc. I'm talking about certain types of card effects such as Triumph effects, color changing cards, card to impossible place, two/three card monte etc. I'm trying to find a source for this but I cannot find one.

I'm also looking to do this for other types of magic such as coin magic with spellbound routines, one coin routine, tenkai pennies, matrix, etc. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Much appreciated!

What you're essentially asking for is a categorisation of effect "plots" - the various premises of an effect. For example, just to cite card magic, you have, as you mentioned, Triumph effects. Others would include Collectors, Twisting the Aces, Sandwich effects, ACAAN effects, the list goes on. The reason you can't find a source for this is because, quite simply, there are far too many plots to name! Those are just some of the common ones. I could for example name others - Four Ace/Ace Assembly effects, transposition effects, gambling demonstrations, poker deals, and so forth!

Then, there are just plain strange plots. I'm currently performing an effect in which you induce thoughts by the power of touch. I read another effect recently in which you control the muscular movements of your participant. Or how about Derren Brown's effect Smoke, which was developed from a not often used plot called Card IS Cigarette.

If you really want to do exactly as you stated, I think the best way to do it would be to buy a large, comprehensive book on magic. For example, try something like Tarbell's Complete Course, Marlo's The Cardician, and so forth. But really, I don't think there's any comprehensive way to do things, there are simply too many.

A more manageable task, as mentioned above, would simply be to classify the effects you perform by plot. Or to think of as many as you can, and write them down. That might be more directly helpful to you, depending on your purpose.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results