WOW - Can't Believe it

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
There has been a lot of good advice on this topic Donald, so please use the knowledge that you have been given wisely. With that said, here are my $.38 cents worth.

So you finish high school and are left saying, "Now what?" Do you just up and go somewhere and start busking in hopes that you may land some ongoing gig somewhere? How much material do you really have? How many performances do you have under your belt that would showcase both your talents and professionalism? Being in high school, my best bet would be that you don't have much experience for any of the questions I asked. So then what do you do? Donald, nobody here is saying that you HAVE to go to college as SOON as you graduate high school. Hell, most take a year off before starting in the second half of their lives.

This time off can help you really focus on you and your magic. Book as many shows as you can. If you do not have business cards, get some. If you do not have a demo reel, get one. Write a press release about yourself and put it in the newspaper. It's free, and will help get your name out there. However, if you do not feel that the material you have is strong enough to book shows, then maybe you need to take that time to work on your act. Refine it, work on it some more and refine it again. Draven seems like a real worker and I am sure he can offer some sound advice when it comes to performing and booking gigs. And I am sure he can tell you that his work is not always steady. Hell, I went from working full time as a bar magician working 4 nights a week, 2 shows a night, to only working 2 nights a week, 1 show a night. And now I have a part time job to suppliment that lost income. But I also have provided to me free medical and dental form the Marine Corps, so I can AFFORD a part time job.

Just because you go to school does not mean you have to give up that dream to becoming a full time magician. Hell, do you realize the opportunities that are available to you at a university? You will have unlimited places to perform at, and really work on your performance skills as well as your socialization skills, all while furthering your education. I worked with nothing but a college crowd for quite some time, and I can tell you this much. They are a tough crowd. Which is a GOOD thing, because you are gaining the knowledge on how to work a tough crowd early on. This will help you in the long run with audience management. You need to realize that for what you/we do as magicians, we can perform anywhere if we so choose to. I only wish I had attended a university at a young age. So with that said, look at what magic is all about, and as Draven said, think about business management or marketing or hell, even psychology as the way to further your education.

Some people make it in life without a college education...(Richard Branson of Virgin music is one that really comes to mind. He dropped out at the age of 16, and is now a mega-millionare.) Some people do NOT make it in life WITH a college education. Life is what YOU make it. If you want to be a professional magician, so be it. Just know this:

You can jump out of a second story building with or without a cushion to land on. I would like to know that I have something to fall on if I do in fact jump...

Mike

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I really don't think anyone is saying don't be a professional magician. I've been reading it as (and my attitude toward it is): Do it intelligently. I agree with pretty much everything said in this thread.

My point is that you can dream, and you can definitely achieve those dreams, but be realistic at the same time. Don't look at the exceptions to the rules and assume you will do the same thing. For every magician that Simon named, I would put money on there being a hundred that tried and couldn't do it. Why not make the safer bet? Just go for a degree that will help you achieve your goals.

This brings to mind a quote I got from Wayne Houchin, though he was quoting his dad, (And I'm paraphrasing from memory) "If you increase the things that bring you toward your goal, and decrease the things that take you away from your goal, you cannot help but get to your goal." (eventually)

By all means, I want to see people succeed. Anyone that wants to be a professional magician SHOULD do it. But don't assume that you're the next Lance Burton. Go into it knowing that you will be busting your ass, and you will be working hard to make a name for yourself. If you know that, and you know you can do it, then definitely go do it.

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
I really don't think anyone is saying don't be a professional magician. I've been reading it as (and my attitude toward it is): Do it intelligently. I agree with pretty much everything said in this thread.

My point is that you can dream, and you can definitely achieve those dreams, but be realistic at the same time. Don't look at the exceptions to the rules and assume you will do the same thing. For every magician that Simon named, I would put money on there being a hundred that tried and couldn't do it. Why not make the safer bet? Just go for a degree that will help you achieve your goals.

This brings to mind a quote I got from Wayne Houchin, though he was quoting his dad, (And I'm paraphrasing from memory) "If you increase the things that bring you toward your goal, and decrease the things that take you away from your goal, you cannot help but get to your goal." (eventually)

By all means, I want to see people succeed. Anyone that wants to be a professional magician SHOULD do it. But don't assume that you're the next Lance Burton. Go into it knowing that you will be busting your ass, and you will be working hard to make a name for yourself. If you know that, and you know you can do it, then definitely go do it.

And to add to this...Lance Burton worked his ASSSSS off before he got anywhere. He worked alongside of Mac King at an amusement park and he would even tell you how crappy of a time that was for both of them.

ChristopherT's post sums it all up. :)

Mike

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Oh yeah, I've heard about that on Magic Newswire. They lived together in an apartment, I think? Doing like ... a show every hour all day or something? Then practicing and rehearsing more at night. Hard. Core.

I should listen to that interview again, it was a good one. Mac King's, I believe.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Yeesh, hm, I can try. Sort of. It's a podcast, not a video. You can find Magic Newswire on iTunes for free. Dodd Vickers' interviews are excellent. The one I'm thinking of is either: #94 (Mac King), #100, or #101 (Both Lance Burton). I'm honestly not sure which one and I don't have time to listen all of them right now. Either way, I highly recommend anyone reading this go to iTunes and find Magic Newswire and listen to ALL of his interviews. I've gotten so much of my magic philosophy and theory from those podcasts.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results