Noob Coin Question?

Jul 9, 2009
Hey guys, I've been a card magician for a year and a half now, and decided to take on coins. My question is that with cards, I've always been taught to wash my hands before handling them, so they could last longer and not get dirty, however, does the same apply to coins?

Thanks.
I tried searching for this question and couldn't find it, so sorry if has already been asked.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
If you consider that it is not difficult to find coins in circulation for several decades, I think that really, it does not matter - unless you get gum or acid on the coins, or something like that, and seriously deteriorate them. Many people do prefer shiny coins for the visuals - but they're so easy to replace - unlike cards which you have to buy - that I don't think it's really an issue. If it makes it easier for you, wash your hands, not so much for the coins, but simply for ease of handling.

Sometimes after i wash my hand or after getting out of the pool, i find that my hands are too slippery to classic palm or do other sleights. Lotion will help. People on the magiccafe would recommend the Chamberlain lotion.

Sep 1, 2007
USA
It really depends on what coins your using... but no matter what... make sure to wash the COINS... money is so dirty. As for your hands... if you're using quarters for tricks... dirty hands don't really matter... unless your hands are really unappealing.

Even if you're using really expensive coins it still doesn't matter much actually. Unless you really notice a difference in your handling of your tricks due to not washing, the choice is up to you.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results