Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
A Magician´s Journal
"Waiting"
Journal of July 9

By Luis Vega

7:00
My Work..

Ok, I am not suppose to be here...I am suppose to b checking my repertoire and my clothes for tonight and buying new shoes...instead I am doing a 3D perspective and we were to be out at 4:00, anyway I do like this job and since is my real career I have to keep improving.

One good thing about having 2 careers (magic being my second) is that they provide some distraction for the other, and I don´t think they get in the way of each other, and since are very different I can improve on them separately and when I want to get distracted for one I focus in the other...

I am finally done, print it and leave it, then I leave for the downtown, to buy a new pair of shoes, I am so glad to live in the "leather capital of the world" since everything like shoes, jackets and other things in leather are pretty cheap, and I need new shoes, because mine are a little bit old and appearance and style is everything in this restaurant.

9:00
my home

I could barely do it on time, a new pair of shoes and some new wristbands stand in my bed, I go and get a quick shower and I prepare my suit, I have yet to find a suit that goes with my style, for now I am gonna have to conform with the usual.

I prepare my repertoire, and I must say I am gonna go with the usual, nothing to complicated or elaborated, since this is my first time in an environment like this and a completely new type of audience so I better be sure about my skills, this is no time for hesitation or experiment.

9:50
Capitan George

I arrive early and I ask for the manager, since this is day one I want to tell him that I am here and I am about to start, he very quickly says hello to me and vows me to start.

As I look around I realize why this is a very awesome place, all the tables are exquisitely arranged, I see a chef flamming some strawberries in some kind of mobile-kitchen, some people chatting in a table full of Blackberries and equally expensive gadgets and a Jazz band playing very nicely and they don´t look like any other band I have seen before, even in my musician time, I start looking for my first table and I see one, perfect!! they have finished their meals and they are chatting, so I proceed to present myself to the table and execute my usual routine. everything goes great! and I get 10 bucks in tips "sweet!! maybe working for tips here wouldn´t be so bad"

I´m over with this table and I proceed to the next one, then I look at the manager and he asks to talk with me..

"wait until I tell you to start, in the mean time wait here or in the terrace"

"WHAT?!!! you gotta be kidding me!!" I scream in my head,but in reality I just say ok, I am really wondering why this guy wants me to wait, but it´s ok, for now I am new here so I am gonna have to play along with it.

I go to the terrace and just sit down and watch tv as I play with my cards and think about whats happening, on one side I am suppose to be doing magic and on the other side I was asked by the manager that I should do magic when he tells me to, I think he assumes that I have never worked in a restaurant before, maybe he is just a controlling dude that wants me to do his bidding or maybe he is just crazy...

I think while I wait

10:40

Ok, I see a table, the kind of table I love, they are waiting for their food to arrive and they are having a semi-constant conversation so I can enter without interrupting them, I know,I know I was forbidden to do magic until the manager asks me to, but these guys are getting piss because their food is taking so long, of course is taking too much, is sea-food and it´s Captain George, obviously they are doing some pretentious thing to the food so it will be worth the 30 bucks.

I decided to ignore the manager and entertain them, maybe he will thank me later for this...

I introduce myself and they seems a little skeptical at first, I understand is very rare to see a magician here, I start doing my routine and everything goes just fine, the food arrives when I am done, so it´s good, I get my tips...another 10 bucks

I get tired of waiting and I go down to find the manager, anyway other peole here like the waiters and the bodyguards tell me that he is a difficult person to deal with so better now than never.

I find him talking to a client and when he see me approaching, he just get near me

"Luis, so glad you waited, there a lot of tables waiting to be entertained!!" he says as he point me to around 6 tables full of people.

I get a little mad, those tables could be already entertained if he didn´t hold me back before, It´s not the first time I work in a restaurant, he should know that.

I proceed to attend those tables, each one of them is great and the only bad thing is that a girl deduced a trick of mine, but the method is so crazy that nobody believe her...

the real difference here with the other places I´ve been is the response of the audience, I must admit I was wrong about this people, most of them are great audience, they are respectful, they are very open magic concerning and they are rich so I get great tips, and I am really liking this place, the music is not soft and not loud so I don´t have to go against the noise, the waiters smile all the time and I having this feeling of comfort...

12:30

Obviously I stay a little longer because I officially started to do magic half-hour later even if It wasn´t my fault I decide to stay, because there a table that I have yet to visit...

it´s a big table with 6 people, obviously is a family, the parents, 3 daughters and one boy, doesn´t look to diferent to others, anway I go and I have liquid metal with me, since is the last table I decide to do a great trick.

I introduce myself and I go with the usual routine, the daughters are having fun and I must admit that almost every girl I find in this place are really beautiful and this girls are not exception, also the other people are having a terrific time judging for their faces and smiles..

I end up my routine with Liquid Metal and everybody claps and then...

"are you going to be busy this next saturday?"
"no ma´am"
"ok..because you are hired for a wedding, to do exactly the same things you did right now..I couldn´t care less about your price, but you can say it anyway"
"well, in a wedding what I usually do is table-hopping and my price is (my usual price, only double)"
"it´s ok, give me a business card, and here is my number, you are hired, call me on monday to confirm the gig"
"ok ma´am"

that happened so fast that I am not even sure it was real, damn!! I should had tripled my price, anyway is great money...

I go with the manager to tell him I am leaving

"Hello, so I am leaving now, I hope you enjoy it"
"yes Luis it was pretty good!"
"I would like yo to tell me any criticism about this first night"
"well, I think you should come more late, from 11 to 1, because people has already finished their food, so now you can entertain them"
"ok, I guess you are right!! so see ya next friday"
"ok, good luck!"

I leave to my home, and then I count my tips...120 bucks...nice!!
I make a decision..

from now on Capitan George will be my ground to get money from magic while Plaza Campestre will be my playground to test my new effects and my persona, and of course if I get some money out of it I will be spending it in paying my new cellphone...

decisions, decisions...life is full of them!!

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
Damn it Luis I love your journals. They are so great man....and yes you should of double it....Ellos tiene dinero:p

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Luis,
I told you man. This is where all of the gigs are going to come from. These people will want you now at their own personal events such as private house parties or wedding receptions. Don't be afraid to set that price up there with what you deserve. Congrats my friend. Wedding receptions are an outstanding gig. I've done two and have another coming up in Sept. You will normally find a few other engaged couples at the reception and make sure they get your business card as well. All the wedding receptions I have done thus far have been due to the previous one.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Thanks everyone...I am so glad you are enjoying this as much as I enjoy writing...

the gig is now confirmed, only that It will be in The Centro Fox...home of the last ex-president of Mexico, Vicente Fox Quesada...let`see how this goes...next journal will be about this gig...
@Reverhart

thanks rick!! I knew you were right!!

@Justin Morris

I use a hat line...I think is important to NOT use the word money or tip on it

"Thanks everyone I hope you enjoyed the performance, now if you would like to contribute to buy more decks, I will be very grateful"

see? I didn`t use the word money and since I do a T&R card routine, kind of makes sense...

Jul 14, 2008
Hey Luis!

First of all, congrats on your wedding gig! I really hope that you will write in this forum as a journal to see how the wedding went. All in all, keep it going!

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
Luis, i gotta say, i'm impressed. I've avoided your journals for the sheer fact that they were journals, but i'm regretting that decision. keep em coming!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results