Oxy Clean Coin Routine by Eric Jones

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
Hello!

Well, I'm not a coin magician really and my skills in coin technique don't stretch too far past the basics, but I've recently fallen in love with the fantastic Eric Jones routine "Oxy Clean Coin Routine"... I've filmed a silent video of myself performing it and please forgive the rather poor film quality. But I'd love to hear your thoughts, ideas, and suggestions on this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWHiXgu1ab8

Michael Kras

I think your performance is on a good start, though some of the slights need some more polish to look more natural. Your elbow move at the end, and shirt collar production at the beginning being two of the biggest ones I've noticed.

But for what it is, it's off to a good start. Keep up the good work!

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Your biggest problem is that you were watching yourself do it on the camera.

The vanishes would work much better if you slowed down and followed it with your eyes. Even with the audio cut out (stupid copyright) Eric still fools because of his body language and eye movement. He looks at the spectator and gains their attention, and then watches each move he does as though he's concentrating on what he's grabbing.

I don't do the routine, but this is a staple of coin magic in general. Eye contact, then eye movement along with your body blocking, and then, of course, the sleights.

:) hope it helped, the other posts covered your weaker spots, I just thought this might help you.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I am wondering if the vanish of the 3 coins is actually Eric Jones. It looks very similar to Troy Hoosier and Josh Jay's routine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 29, 2009
Just around
I am wondering if the vanish of the 3 coins is actually Eric Jones. It looks very similar to Troy Hoosier and Josh Jay's routine.
Where is Josh's routine taught? I was at a lecture of his a few days ago, and he taught it, but I was curious where it was taught? (brilliant routine btw, especially the last vansih , working on it as I type).

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael Kras

Sep 12, 2007
Canada
The vanish sequence is similar but not the same at all... Plus Josh's effect doesn't have the advantage of being able to show 3 separate coins... Although Eric's routine does not have the advantage of 3 separate coins, the routine is so brilliantly constructed that each coin is shown singularly as it appears. In Josh's, the coins have to start in a fan which is awkward.

In any case, I hope the poster above will kindly edit his post as he gives a bit away about both aforementioned routines.

And on that note, here's a new Oxy Clean video :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjXJWwCEeqI

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
If you watch Eric's performance, every movement has a purpose, and he is incredibly smooth with every action he makes. This is just something that will have to come naturally, but for now just take your time. Everything looks rushed like your trying to get through the routine as fast as you can.

Also, it would be great to hear something while watching this routine.

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
The vanish sequence is similar but not the same at all... Plus Josh's effect doesn't have the advantage of being able to show 3 separate coins... Although Eric's routine does not have the advantage of 3 separate coins, the routine is so brilliantly constructed that each coin is shown singularly as it appears. In Josh's, the coins have to start in a fan which is awkward.
Actually no. You can appear to show all three coins with Josh's. Also, you don't have to start in a fan either. That's just the most basic way of getting into the effect.

Cheers

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Scarecrow,
I'll have to do some checking with Josh's routine to see where he has published it. I know he just tends to show it to everyone and anyone at lectures and conventions. It is nice of him to share that sequence with everyone.

Michael Kras

Sep 12, 2007
Canada
My apologies, the only familiarity I have with Jay's effect is through YouTube clips where every video starts in the fan position. My mistake.

I'll reshoot this video with my full presentation... It's hard to go at my usual pace silently!

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
The second video was better, but rushed. You also need to smooth out the imaginary grabbing of coins. It was a bit jerky, which may have been due to rushing.

Slow it down, smooth it out. Practice can fix both problems.

Aug 20, 2008
Sauquoit New York
i think the biggest hindrance to people, (not just Micheal) doing this routing, is that people who learn these types of routines do the same motions as what is taught because they are told they have to, without properly understanding WHY they are doing it. the WHY is more important than the how. Eric constructed this in a fantastic way, but thats because he understands the psychology of each move. this is what we must do. the last vanish of the three coins is by far the most bold of the three, but at the same time, its simple to do, but performers get nervous so they go to fast. and make what should be a simple motion, over exagerated. so understand WHY you are doing these moves, and from there work on timing. i hope this helped,

Magically,
Ryan Bliss

Feb 16, 2009
South Bend, IN
Just one minor point I wanted to add. if you are going to upload a video on youtube, you know people will watch it multiple times if they are fooled the first time. So, even if you perfect your technique and do the load and unload moves flawlessly, people will be able to figure it out after multiple viewings. Keep this in mind when you upload videos.

In this trick, the last vanish is a very bold one, and there is almost no room for error. This is not a trick where everyone can copy the original movements and expect it to work.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results