Best close up pad?

Oct 13, 2008
Hey guys,

I have one of these folding close up mats by Bob James that I got from the Magifest 2010, but I soon realized that, although it looked good for a bit, it soon became rather impractical to carry. See, I have an OGIO brand hip hop messenger bag (which I say should be the new magician's street bag* :p) and I found that placing the mat inside makes it look too thick; therefore, I decided to try out something else.

I later discovered that the laptop size advisory on Amazon is approx. 10.5 X 14 inches, so I thought, since many close up pads have similar dimensions, that it should be worth a shot. I thought it was simply a matter to go to the magic shop and grab an Apollo pad, but I soon did some research and BOY did I think twice.

(click the quote box itself; it links to the corresponding Magic Cafe entry)

So my question is, what types of close up pads should I get that are durable, thin, have a "bouncy" or "soft" enough surface (Bob James' Mat feels rather stiff when you press on the surface), that won't break the bank ($20 range) and finally, meet the size advisory given above (i.e. fit in the bag)? Any links would be greatly appreciated ;)

SS23

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
i use a table pad.... like one you buy for a nice dining room table. they usually have a woodgrain top and a nice felt bottom...cheap too. at least for me. we have leaves in our dining room table so i use the pads for the leaves until we need them...

but part of me has always wanted to make a really nice close up pad myself

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Robert1996
May 2, 2010
New York, New York
I am of the opinion that Pattrick's Mats are the best and you can get them custom cut. Not sure if it's in your price range or not, but it seems pretty close.

They also seem to meet your baseline requirements.

http://www.pmsmagic.com/mats.htm

Pattricks mats are awsome. I found it on the cafe fourms and they range from 8.00 to $80.00 for there monster mats which is one I recently got. great quality IMO.

Kind regards,

Mike

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Another good option is to go to a shop that sells jewelry display pads. These are very nice for close up work and look nice.

Another option is to purchase a small piece of pool table felt and just use adhesive to get it stuck on whatever thin piece of wood you'd like.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Another option is to purchase a small piece of pool table felt and just use adhesive to get it stuck on whatever thin piece of wood you'd like.

And in between the wood and felt, any padding you might prefer (craft stores have a lot of options).

I don't own a closeup pad so I can't be of any more help...

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Yes Rik....you are correct. If you want the pad to have some "give" to it to be able to palm things off the pad like coins padding is a necessity. If it is strictly for card work maybe not. I personally would use some thin padding that Jo Anns and Pat Catan craft stores use.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I'd go for something the consistency of a mousepad, soft and firm. I wouldn't need a super-soft and squishy pad.

Most of my card work is in the hands right now, and if I ever have a set show where I want a pad I'll be making my own. JoAnns probably be the best place near where I live to find some.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results