how many tricks ?

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
If it is a very large group of people, 250 or more, and I am limited on time, then I normally only do 3 effects per table / group.

If it is a smaller group and time isn't a factor...then normally 4.

If a large crowd has gathered around to see more, I will pull out a nice finale that may only get performed once...maybe twice that night.

As mentioned though, for the love of god, do not do all card tricks and do not open with a pick a card trick. This is one mistake that a lot of beginners make.

I think it's more a question of time than tricks to be honest. I perform effects that by themselves take between one minute and thirty minutes.

30 minutes for a strolling trick? thats not right.
but
i do about 4 tricks/5, depending on the venue and the interest level of the audience.

my last strolling gig i acutally ended up performing for a table for about 20 minutes, but that was because it was outside at an icecream shop, and people kept wlking bye and stopping to watch so i was continually doing magic for different people.
so that was my exeption.
but usually only for a max of 7-10 mins depending

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
No, of course not for strolling. I'm simply making the point that "x-y number of tricks" is meaningless. Telling me three to four tricks can result in, technically, a performance which is anything from 5 minutes to 90 minutes long. When working strolling, the issue is not number of tricks, but time and type of tricks. Depending on your venue, and other things like how many performers are booked, and so forth, you want to focus on timing your performances rather than a numerical limit.

Say you tell yourself that you limit yourself to 4-5 tricks. What happens if there is a greater than expected turnout? What happens if there is a less than expected turnout? What happens if there is a guest of honour? A friend that you need to perform for?

If you went on a forum last night, and everyone told you to perform "4-5" tricks, and the next day, you went out and took that advice, and there was a larger than expected turnout, and you stuck to your advice - you'd have a terrible performance, and would more than likely never be booked again.

The key is to be flexible. Working in terms of tricks is missing the point.

As far as the OPs question on openers go...

What do you want to do?

I have several openers depending on where I'm performing and what I want to do. I think the single most important thing for an opener is that it sets the scene for your performance. I want to explain who I am, what my performance is about, and introduce a theme.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
As mentioned though, for the love of god, do not do all card tricks and do not open with a pick a card trick. This is one mistake that a lot of beginners make.

But I like Pick a Card Tricks :p

Everyone's been right so far, I'll give my two cents to add on.

I think it's been helpful for me to have 8 or so tricks in my head. A few card, some coin, and some other prop magic (bills, straws, silverware, rubber bands...) and then one or two heavy hitters (that I will more than likely not use).

Those 8 tricks are the core of the act and I do 3-4 of them (usually prepared sets) at a table. If all is going well I can pull out a heavy hitter (Giant wooden Finger guillotine ftw!...) or one of my other tricks that would fit where I am.

It's important to have 2 different sets of magic so you can do tables that are near each other without repeating the same things they just half-way watched over their shoulders.

Time is more important than tricks (as has been pointed out) and time is dependent on more factors than most beginners take into consideration. David Stone's book Close-Up: The Real Secrets of Magic has a lot of practical advice for figuring out how to divide the time between every table and tons of other advice that you'll want to know before doing strolling/restaurant venues anyway...so buy it.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
But I like Pick a Card Tricks :p

Everyone's been right so far, I'll give my two cents to add on.

I think it's been helpful for me to have 8 or so tricks in my head. A few card, some coin, and some other prop magic (bills, straws, silverware, rubber bands...) and then one or two heavy hitters (that I will more than likely not use).

Those 8 tricks are the core of the act and I do 3-4 of them (usually prepared sets) at a table. If all is going well I can pull out a heavy hitter (Giant wooden Finger guillotine ftw!...) or one of my other tricks that would fit where I am.

It's important to have 2 different sets of magic so you can do tables that are near each other without repeating the same things they just half-way watched over their shoulders.

Time is more important than tricks (as has been pointed out) and time is dependent on more factors than most beginners take into consideration. David Stone's book Close-Up: The Real Secrets of Magic has a lot of practical advice for figuring out how to divide the time between every table and tons of other advice that you'll want to know before doing strolling/restaurant venues anyway...so buy it.

That is in my opinion a much better way to think about tricks! Think about them in terms of routines. Think about them as a pool of effects, that you can vary according to the demands of the performance, and to other more important factors such as time!

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
That is in my opinion a much better way to think about tricks! Think about them in terms of routines. Think about them as a pool of effects, that you can vary according to the demands of the performance, and to other more important factors such as time!

Thanks, glad I could help someone.

It's something I developed over years of improv and jazz magic performances. I use to have 2 dozen tricks performance ready, and decide which ones will work in this situation.

I think it's good to practice routines, and be able to flow from one effect to the next. I do DG's Greed...and almost always follow with some sort of coin trick (even if it's just Geoff Williams Miracle Coin Vanish). But if you get stuck in the habit of doing routines it can be harmful when you get overbooked (200 people, 10 per table...1 magician). Flexibility is something I put at the top of the list in terms of amateurs vs professionals. Another word for it could be adaptation.

A lot of people sigh or groan at the sight of magicians with cards...if I get that feeling I'll put them away and do something completely different, even if it's just conversation without magic...maybe tell a joke or a story to entertain them (can't force someone to like magic...)

I'm currently looking for steady work as a bartender, preferably somewhere that I can also do some magic at (behind the bar) and possibly get gigs from.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
I found working in a restaurant setting, I only had about five minutes per table, to be able to move freely between tables. I had 2 main sets that I did each with three quick tricks, and each using different objects. I keep the pace quick (but still interacting and listening to the people) , and of course I always try to leave them with a 'souvenir' at the end. If a table wants more or if it is a special table I would usually combine the two routines. I used to have a three younger girls (all named Danielle) who were frequent customers who would request me at their table, and I always would be prepared to have something new to show them. That was always a good chance to try out impractical table hopping tricks. And then I always had some forks in my case in the back, just in case there was a large table and had some time and wanted to get some bigger tips.

I find table hopping for events fairly similar in regards to time per table. This is also a very easy way to up sell your client.

For example, say I find my client has for example, 70 guests at a wedding (8 per table) would equal 9 tables plus a head table. So 10 x 5 minutes would be 50 minutes plus 15 -20 minutes to account for travel/transition time. So an hour and a half would allow each table to see about five minutes and the head table to get a bit more.

However, you could go for more time for either your head table or your guests If you book for an extra hour, it would allow each guest to enjoy more entertainment, and it could be broken up to fill in time before/after speeches. And the second hour added on is only an extra $200, so you get a deal on the second hour.

Or, If you book my stand up show, everyone gets to participate in a 45-60 minute show with all different material, plus it includes a full hour of walk around, so everyone (including the head table ) also gets a short personal magic show right at their table. This is of course the best deal.

I know that was slightly off topic, but also slightly related.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Depends on how much time you have. But generally it's better to have maybe 2-3 routines. Anything more and you're bound to annoy and bore people to death. No matter how talented you are. Specially if you are working in an area where people are drinking. Once Booze enter the equation, then their attention span tends to drop sharply.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Depends on how much time you have. But generally it's better to have maybe 2-3 routines. Anything more and you're bound to annoy and bore people to death. No matter how talented you are. Specially if you are working in an area where people are drinking. Once Booze enter the equation, then their attention span tends to drop sharply.

I think I hear what you're saying, but I would have to say that I hope that in my hour show, that people don't get bored after 3 effects, with 7 more to go.

And I don't have a lot of experience with drunk people, but I once got a $120 tip from a drunk guy, I think I did tricks for him for 40 minutes. He kept wanting to see more, so I kept showing him! (I have no clue if that's typical for drinkers or not)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results