Just a thought...

Sep 30, 2009
Elkhart, IN
Looking for some good answers for this question...

If you could not use "cards" or "coins" what would you use to do magic with?

I kind of want to see who out there plays out side the box of typical magic tools.

Thanks to all that participate.

Aug 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
TIC-TAC MAGIC! Spongeballs and Rubberbands. Those are three other kinds of magic i would use. Well, i do use them... and cards... and coins. but if i couldnt use cards or coins... still those three. haha yeah!

-blake.

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
An idea I had a while ago, is doing thimble magic. Thimbles belong with grannies and sewing, but what if you used chap stick caps? It takes a classic of magic (thimble magic) and makes it relevant to a modern day audience, just by doing it with a different object (borrowed chap stick cap).

Also just picking up random objects and doing coin sleights with them. It works (if the object is small enough). I've done it before, and it's great fun. Dice work well.

Jul 13, 2009
Nothing but my voice...mentalism.
Um, I could get a few stones off the sidewalk and then use that as a cover to do cold reading. But if it is a prepared thing, I'd def. do some rope effects like the Walking Knot, which I really wish I could get out of the closet more often. Three balls trick, one over the head, and a Darwin over the head ball vanish using a TT. Then I'd have to consult Mark Wilson's Course, because I do not remember all of the things I'd perform from there off the top of my head.

Sep 30, 2009
Elkhart, IN
These are very good answers. I like the fact that they are all different. I my self like a good silk vanish. I've also fooled a few people at dinner once with the D'lites. The lighting has to be just right for those.

Keep them coming... maybe they will make this a Saturday night contest. :)

Jun 10, 2010
Looking for some good answers for this question...

I kind of want to see who out there plays out side the box of typical magic tools.

Thanks to all that participate.

Tons of sleight of hand regarding every-day objects. Once saw a video of Penn and Teller "explaining" sleight of hand. Teller made it look like he stomped out a cigarette and pulled another one from a box and lit it, only to prove that it was a pencil and he used a flashlight. He really only had one lit cigarette the whole time.

And probably spongeball magic. I looove spongeballs, especially the ones that come as rabbits.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Paper and pencil
Sugar packets
Sugar packets with a knife, napkin, and salt shaker :)
Impromptu cold reading (I'm currently working on more knowledge/practice, but know some good outlying principles that always amaze people)
Rubber bands
Pencil
Cups and Balls (anything from 1 cup and 1 ball to 3 and 3 with final loads)
Poker chips
Sharpie

I'm sure I've done magic with more...most of which was (as scarecrow said) general sleight of hand with small objects.

Apr 1, 2009
California
I live for magic with everyday objects. Even with cards, I hate when it appears to be another card trick. I love having an organic nature to the effect. of course I do do ACR and Here Then There, and whatnot, but I get a special thrill when I can twist or tear. burn. Just something out of the box. I think when you use something that's not normally considered a magic prop, it opens up a whole new realm. It takes away the whole "I see what you did" aspect, and gives the, this guys can do something interesting, feel. That's where the moment of astonishment shines. When magic breaks into your world. Takes it by storm. Not when you pull out linking rings or cups and balls, or a deck of cards even. Although, I do find a certain amount of elegance to a deck of cards.

Aug 4, 2010

That is a very good question "simplymagic" (how original)....
Now I am not going to sugarcoat this for you....I would essentially use my balls...spongeballs.... balloons...Rubberbands...anatomy... cups and Balls....or my rope....or my ring...or my pencil...or my great stage illusions...ect.
Eh....
So it was not a good question after all.....

Sep 30, 2009
Elkhart, IN
That is a very good question "simplymagic" (how original)....
Now I am not going to sugarcoat this for you....I would essentially use my balls...spongeballs.... balloons...Rubberbands...anatomy... cups and Balls....or my rope....or my ring...or my pencil...or my great stage illusions...ect.
Eh....
So it was not a good question after all.....[/QUOTE]

If we would all do these other tricks we have mentioned in this thread, then why not film and show that stuff in the media section. I love seeing the cards and coins stuff but why not show other stuff as well. Yes it's true I use my cards and coins more then the many other items out there and that is what got me thinking.
If someone told me I could not use them any more, what would "I" use instead. I realized that "my" magic needs to be stronger then "Pick a card. Any card."

I want to thank you for not sugarcoating your response. All input is welcome. And as far as my name "Simplymagic", that is what I tell my spectators when they ask..."How did you do that?"

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results