Can a Magician Win AGT?

I know it isn't the kind of magic that we usually talk about here, but I have to wonder if there is there any chance that Murray Sawchuck will be the first magician to win America's Got Talent? So fat the judges seem solidly behind him. On last nights show they even discussed that bias that they seem to have against magicians on the show. Watch the clip here: http://bit.ly/MURRAYAGT4

AGT has been disastrous to magicians before in the past. We're nothing more than novelty acts in the judges eyes. Which is a pity because performers like Kevin James are brilliant!

I hope Murray can do it. It's about time that an act that isn't singers or dancers (who are a dime a dozen) makes it through to the end!

Dec 14, 2007
The company which eventually cashes in on the winner's future career (which they basically sign over at the time of entry) is a recording/musical production house. Some have speculated that this will always lead to a bias toward those kinds of acts.

Sawchucks most recent appearance entailed a degree of conspiracy with either the judges or wardrobe AND a repeat of nathan burton's surprise behind the judges reveal. At magiclive Burton talked about what went into that, not only when it came to arranging it, but with future arrangements when it came to setting up other appearances.

Deals get cut and the show isn't at all what it seems to be. For example, acts will film two or three bits at the same theater, at the same time but with different backdrops. This is then presented to the world as if the performers are advancing and being flown into new locales. They will then be taken to different venues to film the talking head sections - after being coached on their 'stories'. Then all of it gets cut together to create the illusion of an evolving talent contest.

Of course, one need only compare the fat working class opera talent story in britain to the fat working class opera talent story in america to see that this is about producing a tv show and not running a talent contest. Had susan boyle not become a youtube sensation, you could be we would have seen a homely singer over here too.

As with many things on tv, what you get is not what was seen. Reality tv seldom is.

The company which eventually cashes in on the winner's future career (which they basically sign over at the time of entry) is a recording/musical production house. Some have speculated that this will always lead to a bias toward those kinds of acts.

Sawchucks most recent appearance entailed a degree of conspiracy with either the judges or wardrobe AND a repeat of nathan burton's surprise behind the judges reveal. At magiclive Burton talked about what went into that, not only when it came to arranging it, but with future arrangements when it came to setting up other appearances.

Deals get cut and the show isn't at all what it seems to be. For example, acts will film two or three bits at the same theater, at the same time but with different backdrops. This is then presented to the world as if the performers are advancing and being flown into new locales. They will then be taken to different venues to film the talking head sections - after being coached on their 'stories'. Then all of it gets cut together to create the illusion of an evolving talent contest.

Of course, one need only compare the fat working class opera talent story in britain to the fat working class opera talent story in america to see that this is about producing a tv show and not running a talent contest. Had susan boyle not become a youtube sensation, you could be we would have seen a homely singer over here too.

As with many things on tv, what you get is not what was seen. Reality tv seldom is.

I don't think they are necessarily biased towards singers/dancers. Don't forget that Terry Fator won it one year with a ventriloquism act. Ok, he was singing as part of it, but he wasn't exactly going to get a recording contract.

I think it's not impossible for a magician to win. Kidding ourselves that it's all production company bias is also a bit silly though. Clearly no magician has gone on there and really captured the publics imagination. I seem to recall that 'Sweden's Got Talent' was actually won by a magician. So it just shows you just need the right act/person.

Rev

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
I have to say that I really enjoyed his last performance. I liked that it wasn't all fire, dancers, loud music etc. He added a bit of purpose and connection to this act. Very nice touch. Can he take it all the way? I don't know. Not sure how he steps it up a notch from there.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
You guys are neglecting to mention one key thing here. Different countries run their TV programs differently than each other. Just because it worked in Sweden or Norway, does not mean it will work in the States.

Feb 16, 2009
South Bend, IN
I think the format itself makes it hard for magicians to do well on AGT. I'm guessing you have at most two minutes to do something impressive. What can a guy do in two minutes besides something flashy and eye catching? That is what most magicians on AGT end up doing, but that doesn't resonate with either the audiences or the judges at a deeper level. This only serves to enhance the audience's view of magicians as amusing trifles as opposed to something more deep.

Draven, you are right!!!.......eyyyy, in a way tho...

Here's why??? I watched every illusionist on the show. Yes the judges are brutal on illusionists, but you have gotta say this by our magic friends...(by the way Murray is kool) Thats when the Criss Angel effect comes into place....Criss has this uncanny way of giving the fans(not magicians) what they want. He does some cheesy stuff that fans dig. A layman will not be impressed with flourishes, card manipulations, and moves that we find to be the greatest thing since slice bread. They want the big finale's. On AGT, Even when Kevin ripped the stage. He would do a grand performance but the next one wouldn't outdo the first one. Thats where he got pounded.

Maybe to us (magicians) he would have killed. But to laymen, Its like one of those moments where you tell a funny joke and the next joke isn't as funny. People are hard to please. When you are on AGT, you better have a deep, and I mean a deep plan already in hand when it comes to magic. You gotta outdo yourself, if not, you will fail!!!!

Thats a really good one and mabye Murray needs to find that out himself or get with a group of layman and ask that question...Its sounds stupid but running a poll or something is good. People want what they want or else they don't want it....Did that sound right???

Anywho, I think it goes back to What Lee Asher once told me, magic must tell a story....

I think Murray has put himself in a funk, now he gives himself no room for error or in this case less appeal.....he should have picked a theme and increased on the finale....

Great question.. here's one for you... If you were on AGT and doing the kind of magic that Murray is doing... what would you do next. better yet, why do you think that Murray is being so well received on a show that is getting so much attention? What would you do differently to get the same feedback on your own if you made it onto the show next season?

Apparently. AGT Judge Howie Mandell pays particular attention to his Twitter account to see how the viewers are responding to each act as it happens. With regard to Murray's most recent act, he says:

"The magic act with the disappearing tiger lit up my Twitter board," he revealed. "I'm cognizant of the fact that sometimes things play differently in the room."

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
When someone as original and amazing as Kevin James ultimately fails to make the grade, I have my doubts when it comes to someone as "stock" as Murry; he's yet to do anything "new"... the tiger thing was originally part of the Sigfried & Roy show and has been featured in several other major stage shows over the years. His Car Appearance is "ancient" by today's terms, a reverse to Copperfield's massive Car Asrah of 30 years ago.

I like Murry, he's cute and has a unique charm about himself... he's likewise a wonderfully refreshing drink of water after 15 years of seeing an overrated middle aged goth child torture magic on stage because he can't replicate what he does on TV (no "creative editing") and I can echo said sentiments when it comes to David the Fakir as well... they both had some interesting ideas at the start but things soured with time...

My biggest gripe with Murry is that he has been working Vegas for roughly a decade, he's an established act with a genuine resume. So why is he allowed into this competition? Why are any professionals allowed to compete with amateur talents? How is that fair?

But we have another axe to grind here... the quality of the magic performers that have been on the show and their seeming in ability to FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS...

Granted, this is a bit of a personal axe in that the illusion that fell victim to said ignorance was Shadow Vision, a piece Ken Whitaker and I spent many a long night developing; the first one being built around my step-daughter and the secretary @ Creative Illusions. It is a very complicated piece of equipment and demands tons of rehearsal and yet Jackass the great refused to do more than a couple of run-thrus prior to the taping and even refused to re-shoot his screw-up (which exposed a rare $15,000.00 illusion) when given the option... to be kind, the guy is a dick.

Sadly, he's not the exception to the rule when it comes to our world. There are more "magicians" that get a prop and run out to show it off prior to actually LEARNING IT, than not. I've actually delivered large illusions to a performance location with "wet paint" that the fool was going to use in his show that night, without so much as a single rehearsal.

This is the mentality that will prevent a magician from winning AGT or any major show of its ilk. It is likewise the kind of scenario that, because it is seen so much, it sours the views of every talent buyer or contest judge... even a serious talent risks loss as the result of this contempt... just try making an honest living doing it and you'll see for yourself, quickly, how the schlock performers of the world have hurt your chances, requiring you to work ten times as hard to just generate a livable income.

I know I've said a lot here, but there's a lot to be weighed when it comes to considering one's involvement with such a program.

As to Murry... he may make it two more rounds in the show, but I seriously doubt he's make it to the top 5, he's simply not that unique. Especially considering how stiff the competition is this season. I'd say that the top 5 will include Arc-a-tech, Prince Poppycock, Haspop, Taylor Mathews, Michael Grimm, and Debra Romer... there may be a chance for one or two other music acts to hit this list over Romer, but this is where I think things lay.;)

Dec 14, 2007
Craig,

Great post. However I am always skeptical of the deal making that goes on and around these productions. People will sell their soul (or a sex tape) for 12 minutes of fame these days. Ultimately I think the winner will be whomever the production team who controls the contracts feels they can make the most off with the least investment.

Maybe murray is willing to bend over for a contract. Based on the few bitter emails I have received from him (such as when I refused to consider his cd act 'artful' - because it's not), and based on what I heard about his behavior on celebracadabra, I believe murray cares only about murray and will do pretty much anything to get what he wants.

In short, he's perfect for hollywood.

I find it telling that the judges pretended to be surprised by the girls appearance. They danced that dance before. Now its just tv.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I too wonder why somebody with a Vegas contract already, is allowed on the show. Wasn't the point of the show to give no name people a chance to prove themselves and possibly get contracts? Sense Murray already has a resume in Vegas and a contract, that pretty much defeats the point of the show. He has nothing to prove.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Brad... you are correct when it comes to both issues (I was just being kind when it came to Murry... I guess VanBirch in his bad days was easier to deal with :eek:)

You are correct about the dollar vote and who seems the most commercial of the lot and too, who seems the most pliable. Old dogs like Kevin or even you or I would be far more likely to question certain things and not get as quickly intimidated when it comes to things as the less experienced, stars in the eyes, wannabes.

I remember this Jewish kid from New Jersey from years back, kicking himself for signing a corporate agreement that lead to having a final year of touring that nearly kicked his butt into the grave... I don't know whatever happened to him... his last name of Kotkin :rolleyes:

His story however, shows how these talent shows still take gross advantage of raw talent just as they were doing with the Rock bands in the 50s & 60s that played 6+ sock hops a week as a "tour" with 5 other one-hit players. The formula being similar; a push to burn you out and "cripple you" during that last year of touring, so you can't break out on your own... but then, I have a personal animosity on that issue.

Great post, Brad!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results