Classic Colour Change Questions...

Hey Guys,

I imagine that this question has probably been asked a billion times and that I should have used the search function before I posted this but hay ho. Anyways, my question is this.

I love the classic colour change (Theory 11 1-on-1 version) but I have a problem. If I produce a signed card via a double lift into CCC how the heck do I get clean so that I can give them there card without turning the DL back over, cutting or shuffling?

All I can think of was CCC-ing from the bottom of the deck and skip the DL. I hope that makes sense. Thanks for your time guys and gals. All the best.

VB77

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
Hey Guys,

I imagine that this question has probably been asked a billion times and that I should have used the search function before I posted this but hay ho. Anyways, my question is this.

I love the classic colour change (Theory 11 1-on-1 version) but I have a problem. If I produce a signed card via a double lift into CCC how the heck do I get clean so that I can give them there card without turning the DL back over, cutting or shuffling?

All I can think of was CCC-ing from the bottom of the deck and skip the DL. I hope that makes sense. Thanks for your time guys and gals. All the best.

VB77
Well, you could do it from the bottom of the deck (just use a control that moves the card to the bottom), or you could just wrist kill as you hand them their card.

Important note: Make sure you have motivation for the wrist kill. The big mistake that people do is instantly wrist kill the deck sharply, which looks totally bad. Remember, everything needs motivation.

Edit: The KM move would work brilliantly in this situation. It's taught in either Card College 2 or 3. Not sure which though.

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
Hey Scarecorw1, thanks for the advice. Quick question I am pretty new at all this magic jazz... what is the KM move and a Wrist Kill? Sorry.

I think a wrist kill is where you turn your hand with the deck downwards or away from the spectator so that they do not see another card.

I don't know for sure but that definition fits in his comment.

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
Hey Scarecorw1, thanks for the advice. Quick question I am pretty new at all this magic jazz... what is the KM move and a Wrist Kill? Sorry.

Haha, no prob, sorry, I probably shouldn't have used all those terms.

A wrist kill is when you're wrist, turns sharply downwards. So if you're holding a deck with two face up cards, and you want to hand out the top one, without them knowing there is another face up card below, take the top card, as your wrist (holding the deck) turns down. That way they won't see the card. Hope that explains it.

The KM move is just the name for a sleight. I can't obviously reveal it here (or anywhere since it isn't my move), but you can learn it in Card College 3. You can buy it off many magic sites or even Amazon. I would suggest that you get the first two though, if you're new to magic. Even if you aren't, they're still great books.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

EDIT: Love your avatar. Totally cool.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I also use a wrist kill in this situation. Interestingly, I've always heard this as 'wrist keel' not 'wrist kill'. I've never been sure which version is actually correct.

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
I also use a wrist kill in this situation. Interestingly, I've always heard this as 'wrist keel' not 'wrist kill'. I've never been sure which version is actually correct.

I actually think they both mean the same thing, and they're both correct, just a different way of saying it. But I could be wrong.

May 10, 2010
If you simply want to execute the move by itself, instead of changing an odd card into the selection, I have a suggestion. Leave the card face up in the middle of a face down deck, and place one card on top of it and execute a pass. You can then say something like "we'll leave your card in the middle so you can follow it, see it's not on the top but I'll make it rise up from the middle" (since the top card is face down, followed by a face up selection). You can then execute the move from here and you change a face down card into a face up selection that was supposedly in the middle. You also end with just the selected card on top, leaving you clean.

Aug 8, 2010
too much for such a simple thing, i guess^^
also i don't lkike wrist kill simple cuz it's unnatural. People just don't wriist kill!
The KM move does it for. Especially when the card is signed, it makes perfect sense to rob it with a thumb. And do KM move.
I think you might find the explanation of the move on youtube or vimeo. Or i could film one...

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
With respect Zavaka, I think it's as natural a motion as you can ask for. It's only unnatural if you make a big move out of it.

Stand up, relax your arm, and drop it by your side.

Your wrist should now be facing towards your body.

That's all the wrist kill is

It utilises the natural position of your wrist when you relax your arm, so unless you hold a lot of tension there, I can't imagine a more natural move. I see people do it all the time when placing an object down onto a table with one hand.

Aug 8, 2010
well. maybe that's just me. i am generally over-sensitive to naturalism in all kinds of art. Magic sleights included :)
anyway, wrist kill doesn't get you clean. it just delays the clean-up :) so KM is better anyway :p

I have to agree with Zevaka, the KM move was designed to get rid of a double. It works beautifully and it will leave you clean for whats next. Even tho a wrist kill might look natural, you are still left with a face up card on top of the deck. KM is the way to go.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Yes, on that point, that is fair enough.

What I would suggest though, before you discard the wrist kill (although for admittedly legitimate reasons) - consider if you have any tricks that require a reversed card. If so, then use the wrist kill, and you have your set up right there. Setting up a trick in the course of another one. Excellent.

Yes, on that point, that is fair enough.

What I would suggest though, before you discard the wrist kill (although for admittedly legitimate reasons) - consider if you have any tricks that require a reversed card. If so, then use the wrist kill, and you have your set up right there. Setting up a trick in the course of another one. Excellent.

In rebuttle to that, the K.M. move can be applieed the exact same way. You can reverce cards right under someones nose and they will not notice a thing. Other than the card you are showing of course.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results