Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
"Greed"
Journal of july 30
By Luis Vega

7:00pm
my house
I wake up very scared, since I really don`t know when I fell sleep, thankfully it`s only 7:00 and I have to be in Capitan George at 11:00..."great, I have time to go downtown to get a new shirt and my new guitar and also go to the gym" I say while getting in a more comfortable outfit...
The flamenco guitar was my first aproach to an art, I had always been un-interested in music,painting or even reading before the guitar, It was when I was starting college that it was required to take a cultural class...so I chose flamenco guitar and it turns out a great hobby! I must say that I played around 4 years before quiting, because even when I had the fingers and the hability, I lacked the creativity to compose my own songs...and magic was starting at that time...also my guitar got broken in a stupid accident and I didn`t have time or money to fix it...until now...

7:30
Downtown
I arrive and I just go and get my new guitar and I decide to just hang around and go to a penny arcade to play "Marvel Vs Capcom 2" since I haven`t played since high school...
I realize that I still rock at it, then I just get an ice-cream and a nice crimson shirt...I decide to test a new look for tonight...so I`m off to the gym

8:30
Gym
I usually go to the gym everyday, but in friday I use to work out everything, I want to look good, I am not a sex symbol but I try to be on shape and I work out everything...

10:00
My house
taking a shower...I usually think a lot while doing it, is relaxing and I feel confortable while doing it..
then my phone rings..
"Hello?" I answer while drying my face and shutting down the water
"Hello? Luis Vega?"
"yes it`s me"
"oh hi! my name is Gustavo and I met you at the Plaza Campestre, you are the magician right?"
"yes! so what`s up?"
"see...I have a party tonight and I would like you to come here to do some magic"
"ok, where is the gig? and I must tell you I have a gig from 11 to 1"
"oh don`t worry you can arrive at 1:20, it`s going to be in "EL Clasico""
"ok, I`ll be there...and I am sure we can get to a deal once I am there"
"oh yeah of course!"
"ok, see you there"
I feel this kind of parties are somehow necesary, since I am constantly evolving new tricks,presentations and looks, and sometimes I feel I need to just go out and relax.
I prepare my repertoire as usual, dress in my new look basicly a suit and a crimson shirt without a tie and head to Capitan George

12:30
Capitan George

Everything goes right..though I realized that is better to arrive more early,since the restaurant passes from a family friendly place to a more adult oriented bar from 10-11...

the last table...I usually like to give something more elaborated so I have indecent and I`ll try a cups and balls routine, since is a big table and one side is almost empty.

I am introduced by the manager and he says "if you catch the trick, the dinner is free!!" Is not that I don`t trust my abilities...but I hope he was kidding!!

I am about to start and then I hear it "if we wanted a stupid magic show, we could have asked for it" a lady says

Now, I am not un-familiar with hecklers, I encounter them all the time, but I really feel this was rude and unnecesary, so I am about to say something, then It happens...

"don`t be so rude Ana, if the manager introduced him, I guess he should be great for him to work here"
"I just don`t believe in these things from the devil and cheaters"
"well I everyobody else in the table wants to see him do magic, so I guess you are welcome to turn your head and not watch it"

I am proud of having the crowd on my side, so I perform a great routine and everybody claps and I can see the girl with an angry face looking somewhere else...too bad she missed the show..

I`m off to the party..

1:20
El Clasico

I enter these place and I must confess this is a big party full of rich people, since all the glasses has those expensive luminous ices cubes...I need to get one of those before I leave...

I find my employer and I chat with him, and I realize he wasn`t expecting to pay me and I feel a little dissapointed, but he says I can go around and ask for tips...WTF?

Now I realize I can win some money, but my reputation could get hurt If I am going around giving free gigs, especially for people that I barely know, and I really don`t like this guy is talking me as if we were "Best friends forever"

"I realize you like my magic, but I am afraid I don`t give free events"
"oh!! c`mon can you at least do a couple of tricks for my friends"
"I am afraid that If I start doing magic for a couple the rest of the people would want to see magic and how can I do only magic for a couple?"
"man!! you should be grateful...I know what to do...I am going to give you 200 pesos (20 bucks) but you should realize I am promoting you and you are going to get promotion with all my friends...I should charge you for that"

Ok...this guy is a p**ck, to be honest..I maybe don`t have a big reputation yet, but I am working hard to get a name by myself and somehow be known in my town, and I think this kind of parties can help me to that...but this guy thinks he is doing me a favor and I really felt insulted..

"I am who I am regardless you hire me or not to your party, I really don`t need promotion from you since I have been doing this for some time and so far I been doing great, you must be aware that this is an art and thus is not something you just can look down at it, I am the only one in this city doing this kind of thing and If you think you are doing me a favor, you are wrong, since you are the one needing my services for your boring party...but I am afraid I cannot help you there..."

he just stare very surprised to hear that...I just wish him good night and leave..."don`t look back, don`t look back" I say to myself...

As I was leaving the party, I arrive to the parking lot and I hear a crying noise, very subtle but I hear it, and I see a girl crying outside of a car...

"Hello...why are you so sad?"
"Oh!! do I really cry so loud..I am sorry"
"you don`t need to be sorry...here I hope this cheer you up" I say while producing a rose from fire...
"a beatifull flower for a beautiful girl!!"
"wow!! how did you do that?"
"doesn`t matter...what It matters is that you smiled and you look more beatiful smiling than crying...so I would continue doing it"
"thanks!! you are truly an angel!!"
"Thanks...see you around!"
"what is your name? are you a magician?" she says while I turn around
"I am not a magician...I am just Luis Vega" man!! this would have looked so great in a video, anyway I´ll try to keep my cool..
"I`ll remember you..I promise"

"Treat the other people like you would like to be treated..."

add me in Facebook: "here"

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 29, 2009
Just around
Wow, I LOVE this. That is truly an inspiring story, very poetic.

Keep up with these journals, I love them, it's nice of you to take the time to write them down.

Jul 28, 2010
"Thanks...see you around!"
"I am not a magician...I am just Luis Vega"

]here[/URL]"

Hahah thats was epic! I like how with magic you were able to turn those tears into a smile. The power of magic.....

Keep those journals coming Luis!!

Nov 7, 2009
Paris, France
Great as usual. But maybe you could have done the 2nd gig : just because it was free doesn't mean the audience has to know it... You could have set things up with the host. Oh btw how do you produce roses? Any ressource appreciated thanks

Mar 16, 2010
Lithuania
"I am not a magician...I am just Luis Vega" man!! this would have looked so great in a video, anyway I´ll try to keep my cool..
"I`ll remember you..I promise"

I dont know why but this part remindes me the line: "Who are you?" "I am Bond... Jmes Bond." :D

Your storys are very entertaining. Good job.

Jul 13, 2010
Malaysia
luis to the rescue.. LOL
cool ending..
aww.. you should video record it...

awesome journal! i will follow it all the time..
thumbs up.. :D

I think this is one of the only reasons I'm back on t11 forums. I've been waiting this for a week :p I love to read them and I'm also starting to get a lot of gigs. Great to share experiences.

Bao

Jul 14, 2008
I love the story! I also love the fact that you made someone smile. However, you are right, it is not fair to give out free events without some sort of agreement. Again, thanks for the great story!

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Great as usual. But maybe you could have done the 2nd gig : just because it was free doesn't mean the audience has to know it... You could have set things up with the host. Oh btw how do you produce roses? Any ressource appreciated thanks

I have done gigs like that before...I really get your point...but this guy didn`t took me seriously and he was so fake, because he even told me to do the gig as "friends" even when I have only see him twice and it`s the kind of guy that only wants to get advantage whenever he can...and somehow I got the feeling he wouldn`t shut up about me doing the gig for free to his friends..and that`s never helpful...

about your other question...

The Real Secrets of Magic by David Stone 1 & 2 has the Rose production I use...I modified it a little so it will fit my needs...but overall it`s great!! I recomend you to get it...

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
Great Journal Luis!!!

You did the right thing Luis. I hate when people are like that.....you see them once or twice and when they need a favor they act of their your best friend or something. It gets on my nerves.

Anyway Great Story.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Luis,
Outstanding job man. I would have turned and left too. Once you start to get really good and people realize your talent, they think they can just call you and you'll show up and entertain their guests and that it shouldn't cost them a dime or maybe $20-30 bucks at most. Yeah right.

I turn down people all of the time. I tell them my rates and if they don't like it then oh well, it is their loss. I don't think they realize that time and effort it takes to get to where you are and your value.

Nice gesture at the end with the sad girl. At least that should have made you feel good and cheered her up.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results