Sentinel Finish?

Aug 3, 2010
London
i just have to say i love the new Sentinel design Illuminati all seeing is eye is sooooo coooolllll, just love it. That being said i just treated myself to a couple of decks of them one for collection, one for use.

Just wondering they say its plastic coated and if im not mistaken it doesn't say no where is air cushion finish. So my question is am i wrong in saying its not air cushioned or if it is just plastic coated would that take away anything from the card.

p.s im very new to card magic so correct me if all the decks are plastic coated cause i dont know.

Jun 10, 2010
i just have to say i love the new Sentinel design Illuminati all seeing is eye is sooooo coooolllll, just love it. That being said i just treated myself to a couple of decks of them one for collection, one for use.

Just wondering they say its plastic coated and if im not mistaken it doesn't say no where is air cushion finish. So my question is am i wrong in saying its not air cushioned or if it is just plastic coated would that take away anything from the card.

p.s im very new to card magic so correct me if all the decks are plastic coated cause i dont know.

As far as I know, plastic coated certainly doesn't take away from the card. They certainly seem fine in casey's video and Andrei's video (the promo one). Most cards aren't plastic coated, for your information. And I can't answer the air cushion finish question, you'd have to ask one of the winners of the cerca trova thing or JB.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
As far as I know, plastic coated certainly doesn't take away from the card. They certainly seem fine in casey's video and Andrei's video (the promo one). Most cards aren't plastic coated, for your information. And I can't answer the air cushion finish question, you'd have to ask one of the winners of the cerca trova thing or JB.

The finish is the 909 Premium Finish. The plastic coated cards are just like what Arrcos are. Except, they aren't Arrcos. The cards handle great and are definitely something you should add to the collection.

-Casey

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
Can wait to get these cards!! I just order a deck of Sentinel and a few tally ho's!! I'm so excited right now.

One thing I"m interest to see if the Sentinel can hold up the heat here in Texas.

Reactions: The Magic X
May 16, 2009
There "air cushion" dimples are definitely present. Take a look at some of the Sentinels photos and you'll see that under certain lighting conditions, those dimples are visible.

There "air cushion" dimples are definitely present. Take a look at some of the Sentinels photos and you'll see that under certain lighting conditions, those dimples are visible.

Quite correct. This seems to be an interesting finish. Most plastic coated playing cards have a glossy look to them. They are smooth to the touch with no visable dimples. This helps the cards stick together a little bit which is why they are great for flourishing. The sentinels, however, seem to have dimples in the plastic coating. This will allow for air inbetween the card thus making the cardsslide and glide better.

Its like a mix. You have the benefits of a thick plastic coating, with the glide of an air cushon. These cards should be interesting.

Jun 10, 2010
Quite correct. This seems to be an interesting finish. Most plastic coated playing cards have a glossy look to them. They are smooth to the touch with no visable dimples. This helps the cards stick together a little bit which is why they are great for flourishing. The sentinels, however, seem to have dimples in the plastic coating. This will allow for air inbetween the card thus making the cardsslide and glide better.

Its like a mix. You have the benefits of a thick plastic coating, with the glide of an air cushon. These cards should be interesting.

So, if they're plastic coated, does that mean you can clean them with a soft, wet cloth when it gets really dirty? Someone on the t11 forums in a different thread once mentioned called them washable, and I hate my decks when they start to look dirty.

Actually as long as you don't get the edges wet, you can clean a plastic coated card with a damp cloth. Just be sure that you wipe it off afterwards with a dry one. The plastic coating will keep the stock protected but it does not cover the edges so be careful. Also do not drench the card either. Damp cloth is the key word here. Not wet cloth. ANyway at $5 buck a deck, i would just buy a new one.

Jun 10, 2010
Actually as long as you don't get the edges wet, you can clean a plastic coated card with a damp cloth. Just be sure that you wipe it off afterwards with a dry one. The plastic coating will keep the stock protected but it does not cover the edges so be careful. Also do not drench the card either. Damp cloth is the key word here. Not wet cloth. ANyway at $5 buck a deck, i would just buy a new one.

It's 6 dollars a deck. Plus shipping.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Yes...some cards are washable on delicate cycle washing machines and add a touch a fabric softener for that oh so sweet scent.
Summer breeze is my favorite. Kidding kids....don't do that.

On a more serious note..I would like to hear from someone who has used them outside in the heat for more than an hour to see if they started to warp or got flimsy.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Yes...some cards are washable on delicate cycle washing machines and add a touch a fabric softener for that oh so sweet scent.
Summer breeze is my favorite. Kidding kids....don't do that.

On a more serious note..I would like to hear from someone who has used them outside in the heat for more than an hour to see if they started to warp or got flimsy.

I have taken them out into the heat while riding in a car, or being outside and using them. Just like every deck, when you leave them out in the sun for a bit of course they stick together. The Sentinels clumped horribly when left in the sun, but after a spring they were perfect, it's really weird how they work!

As for the warpage, I left that deck out (The same one that clumped like hell) and it didn't warp really. Their other custom decks are famous for warping horribly, not this one! So it's a better quality deck than their Centurions and Guardians.

I got a card dirty and washed it with a DAMP cloth, or you can use spit if not near water (just a little bit) by sticking your finger on your tongue and wiping the area. Then use your shirt to dry it off. Make sure you do it fast because the water seems to bend cards over time. Just get that dirt off pronto!

And finally, as for the finish, it is 909 Premium Finish, NOT the Air Cushion! The cards are plastic coated, just like Arrcos! So of course there are "dimples" in the cards, Arrcos have that too guys...

Hope this helped!

-Casey

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results