Theories 1-10

Brewery Rabbit

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Poulsbo, Wa
Alrighty. I am going to feell like a level 1 magician noob *Yes i am using game spak.

Anyway, Would someone please explain what the other basic theorys are?
or was that a figure of speech?

Thanks

~Jordan

1. Production

Making someone or something appear. Examples are Appearing Cane, Appearing Candle, etc.

2. Vanish

Making someone or something disappear. Examples are Vanishing Cane, Vanishing Candle, etc.

3. Transposition

Making someone or something move magically to a different location. A variation of this can involve two objects exchanging places. This movement is normally invisible or covered from the audience's view (An object moving by itself visibly would be a different effect). Examples are Card to Wallet, Ambitious Card, etc.

4. Transformation

Making someone or something to change appearance. This can be further divided into different variations, for example a color change would be something only changing color but still maintaining its shape (Color-changing Candle), whereas a sponge ball turning into a sponge square would be something changing shape but still maintaining its material. Lastly, an object can change entirely into another object, for example an apple changing to an orange.

5. Multiplication

Making someone or something appear repeatedly in succession. This is essentially a production but I consider this a separate effect because I think the repeated nature of this has quite a different effect on an audience as compared to a standard production routine where different things are being produced from a space that is too small to hold them. Some examples of this are Multiplying Billiard Balls, Multiplying Bottles, etc.

6. Penetration

Making someone or something pass through another person or object. Examples are all the solid through solid tricks.

7. Restoration

Restoring someone or something to the original condition after being cut or broken apart. Examples are Torn and Restored Newspaper, Sawing Through A Woman and most of the large stage illusions.

8. Suspension

Making someone or something remain suspended impossibly in mid-air. This can be perceived as a kind of magical balancing act as in the case of the Chair Suspension where the girl's body still rests partially on the chair. Another variation is the Floating Carpet where the girl seems to be floating on a carpet entirely free of any support.

9. Levitation

Making someone or something float and move impossibly in mid-air. This looks quite similar to the Suspension effect, however I distinguish this as having a lot of independent movement and not just remaining in one spot in the air. Examples are The Floating Rose, Asrah Levitation, etc.

10. Mentalism

I use this as a catch-all category for all effects that seem to be performed by mind power, for example mind-reading, prediction, telekinesis and others. I will discuss this category further in another article.

Source: 10 Basic Magic Effects

Trevor

Aug 30, 2007
I personally like that the name "Theory11" is a little bit ambiguous. It allows the project to define the name rather than the name to define the project.

If you want my two cents: What is important about the name to me is that it stands as a metaphor for the next step in the evolution of magic. None of our team is naive enough to think that we could accomplish this all by ourselves. It will take a community of talented, intelligent people to really make an impact on this art that will last for generations and in my opinion, based off of the response in these forums so far, I'd say that we are off to a good start.

Dana

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally like that the name "Theory11" is a little bit ambiguous. It allows the project to define the name rather than the name to define the project.

If you want my two cents: What is important about the name to me is that it stands as a metaphor for the next step in the evolution of magic. None of our team is naive enough to think that we could accomplish this all by ourselves. It will take a community of talented, intelligent people to really make an impact on this art that will last for generations and in my opinion, based off of the response in these forums so far, I'd say that we are off to a good start.

Dana

Dana , I agree whole-heartedly.. If indeed this turns out to be what was intended , a "Community" , It will be phenomonal..The early indications are that it is well on its way and I am super excited to be a part of it from the start.

The Trick Brain.

On a slightly related note regarding what was posted as being the 10 basic theories of magic: Dariel Fitzkee has described the 20 basic Effects of magic in his wonderful book entitled "The Trick Brain" (1944).

Briefly, I will list them here:

1. Production- The appearance of an object or group of objects in which the location of the initial appearance is unknown. Sub: (appearance, creation, multiplication)

2. Vanish- The opposite of a production, in which an object or group of objects is taken out of appearance and replaced into an unknown location. Sub: (dissapearance, Obliteration)

3. Transposition- The act of causing an object or group of objects to change in location by forces unseen.

4. Transformation- The phenomenon in which a person, place, or thing changes in it's appearance, composition, or character. Sub: ( change in appearance, character or identity)

5. Penetration- The act of causing one solid object to pass through another solid object.

6. Restoration- Making that which is destroyed, whole once more.

7. Animation- Causing movement to be imparted to the inanimate.

8. Anit-Gravity- Described as a levitation and/or Change in weight*

9. Attraction- The mysterious adhesion of two or more otherwise unadherable objects.

10. Sympathetic Reaction- The causing of a sympathetic response in an otherwise inanimate object. Sub: (the giving of life; character)

11. Invulnerability- Causing a person or object to be incapable of being harmed.

12. Physical Anomoly- The presentation of contradictions in the body, abnormalities, "freaks".

13. Spectator Failure- Magicians Challenge**

14. Control- The ability to influence to phyical state or actions of an object/person. Sub: (Mind over matter)***

15. Identification- The revelation of information that, despite fair conditions, has somehow become available. (specific discovery)

16. Thought Reading- Extra Sensory Perception. The perception of a though-of concept, or piece of information that would be otherwise unavailable to the performer.

17. Throught Transmission- The sending of a thought to another person. Sub: (Thought projection and Transference)

18. Prediction- The foretelling of the future

19. ESP- Unusual perceptions, other than the mind.

20. Skill- Self-explanatory

* = I don't think that many people have explored/viewed an anit-gravity display in this way, with the exception of the light/heavy box. Hopefully this willl spark some new ideas (perhaps?).

**= This could easily be confused with a plot rather than an effect... I assure you, however, that when viewed both ways there are radical differences.

At any rate, I hope this helps to clear some of the confusion out there regarding all of this 10 basic theories stuff.

I, personally, like the Title Theory11 if nothing else than for it's silent ambiguity.

KNOW WIll DARE Keep SILENT

Peace,

-Chris

Sep 1, 2007
Wow, thanks so much to Trevor and Chris, I'm pretty new to this and had no idea those existed.

Sep 1, 2007
Missouri, USA
Thank you for the in-depth explanation of these 10 theorys and 20 effects. I was curious about that as well, seems I need to learn a bit more about magic history! Also, Trevor, glad to see you on these forums, I always respected your posts on Ellusionist. Thanks again.

Peace

Thank you for the in-depth explanation of these 10 theorys and 20 effects. I was curious about that as well, seems I need to learn a bit more about magic history! Also, Trevor, glad to see you on these forums, I always respected your posts on Ellusionist. Thanks again.

Peace

Thanks a ton Samuel. It means a lot when you know you've been noticed. So all of the hard work and dedication with my magic paid off eh? :)

Trevor

Sep 2, 2007
Theories 1 through 10?

This is probably an ignorant question, but I've never heard of the ten theories of magic in any of the books or other material I own. What are they, or where can I find out about them?

Sep 2, 2007
Then why do several of the artist teasers and the site preview keep mentioning the "ten theories of magic," and stating that this is the eleventh?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results