Question About a Trick Idea

Aug 3, 2009
I'm sure that this has been done before in some fashion, but I feel like my handling will be quite different along with the patter. I just wanna see whether or not this has been done before. The effect would be to have the spectator touch four cards from a shuffled deck. The cards would then be shown to be the four aces. Then the four aces would be revealed to have different backs from the deck whence they came. The patter would follow some what of a mentalist style citing subliminal messaging and the subconcious. I will post a video of a performance once i get it nailed down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 10, 2010
I'm sure that this has been done before in some fashion, but I feel like my handling will be quite different along with the patter. I just wanna see whether or not this has been done before. The effect would be to have the spectator touch four cards from a shuffled deck. The cards would then be shown to be the four aces. Then the four aces would be revealed to have different backs from the deck whence they came. The patter would follow some what of a mentalist style citing subliminal messaging and the subconcious. I will post a video of a performance once i get it nailed down.

I bet you Marlo thought of it..

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia

I'm not sure I understand.

The four spectators touch cards from a shuffled deck... and then the cards are shown to be the four aces? But then either they're touching cards from a face up deck... Or they're touching cards from a face down deck... And see that the cards have regular backs...

Aug 3, 2009
Its just one spectator. They are touching the backs of the cards. It's hard to explain, and will make more sense if you see a performance of the trick. The idea is to get them thinking about subliminal messaging and the subconcious and when it comes time to reveal that the backs of the aces are a different color you then say something to the effect of "Do you think its possible that I used subliminal messaging to get you to select these four aces? What if I told you there was something slightly different about these cards that your subconcious saw that conciously you were unaware of?" Then flip over the cards revealing the back to be different. You would also lead into it by explaining subliminal messaging and occassionaly flash the face of the deck in front of them. You could then say before they select the cards that the flashing of the cards was a subliminal messaging of sorts and now they know the location of the aces in the deck they just need to tap into their subconcious by viewing the deck as a whole when selecting the cards and be drawn to the cards they think are the aces and not seek out individual cards. I feel like it could be built into a large effect. My only fear for it is the fact that by them seeing the backs are a different color it may lead them to know that they didn't choose the four aces. Although if they think about that much then they don't want to be fooled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 3, 2009
By the way Prae I was hoping you would see this and post on it being a mentalist guy. Thought you would be able to offer some helpful advice. Thanks.

Sep 2, 2007
London
Jo_Vision, in order to get around the problem of them realising they hadn't actually touched the four aces because they have different colour backs, maybe you should make the difference in the backs more subtle. For example, you could use the normal four aces, but block out some of the back design. I think this would add authenticity to your claim that their subconscious mind picked out the difference in the aces, even though they weren't consciously aware of why they were drawn to them.

One other thought occurs to me. If you also claim that they knew the positions because you flashed the faces in front of their eyes, doesn't this confuse the effect? It seems as though the effect is that they chose the aces because the backs were different.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
By the way Prae I was hoping you would see this and post on it being a mentalist guy. Thought you would be able to offer some helpful advice. Thanks.

Hey, no worries, I'm more than happy to offer you some thoughts, and I have one or two already, but first I'd like to get the effect clear in my mind.

Ok, I think I got what you said in your last post - but then won't they notice that the backs of the cards they touched are not different colours (assuming a switch is used - I don't care, methodology isn't important here)?

I mean, if you say, "Touch the backs of four cards" - they do, and later, you reveal the backs of the cards - since they must already have seen the backs in order to touch them, wouldn't they notice that the backs are different already, or else that the backs weren't different when they selected them?

I'm off to bed now but I'll check this again tomorrow and we'll get to the bottom of it :) My idea at the moment has to do with the way you mark out the Aces as being different, as TeeDee mentions above...

Aug 3, 2009
Jo_Vision, in order to get around the problem of them realising they hadn't actually touched the four aces because they have different colour backs, maybe you should make the difference in the backs more subtle. For example, you could use the normal four aces, but block out some of the back design. I think this would add authenticity to your claim that their subconscious mind picked out the difference in the aces, even though they weren't consciously aware of why they were drawn to them.

One other thought occurs to me. If you also claim that they knew the positions because you flashed the faces in front of their eyes, doesn't this confuse the effect? It seems as though the effect is that they chose the aces because the backs were different.

Yeah I see what you are saying about having a subtle difference with the cards, but what exactly do you mean by blocking out some of the back design. As for the last flashing of the cards at the beginning I was actually going to use that as more of an excuse for telling them to view the deck as a whole and not look at or for one particular card, so that it would follow that when I revealed the different backs they would not have been able to notice that they were indeed different. I know tha probably doesn't make much sense, but i'm having trouble conveying my thought process, which may mean it's a little more complex than it needs to be. Thanks for the input though. I wanna figure out what you mean by blocking out the back design so that I can incorporate it. I will try to post up a video of a performance tonight so that I can clarify the trick a little more.

Aug 3, 2009
Hey, no worries, I'm more than happy to offer you some thoughts, and I have one or two already, but first I'd like to get the effect clear in my mind.

Ok, I think I got what you said in your last post - but then won't they notice that the backs of the cards they touched are not different colours (assuming a switch is used - I don't care, methodology isn't important here)?

I mean, if you say, "Touch the backs of four cards" - they do, and later, you reveal the backs of the cards - since they must already have seen the backs in order to touch them, wouldn't they notice that the backs are different already, or else that the backs weren't different when they selected them?

I'm off to bed now but I'll check this again tomorrow and we'll get to the bottom of it :) My idea at the moment has to do with the way you mark out the Aces as being different, as TeeDee mentions above...

Yeah I was hoping that the subliminal or subconcious thing would be enough justify the spectators inability to notice it. Though I had concidered, as you and TeeDee mentioned, the fact that the difference is too much for the spectator to overlook. As I said earlier I will post up a video of a performance tonight so that you can get a better idea of what I am trying to achieve and also how I am achieving it. Thanks much for your help.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
What would be the selection procedure? I am assuming by your description that you are using a VST. Also how different are the backs of the cards obviously a red / blue method would be too obvious or any form of heavy marking. Personally I would just scratch off the outside boarder on the aces. That way you can easily spot them and cull them.

The only problem I have with this effect is that in it's purest for it is a card trick, and nothing to do with mentalism. Well it does but it does it wrong. I had quiet a long disscussion with a member on these boards who wanted to use 5speed as a demonstration of hypnotic induced haulicantions. Yes it could work, however there are two many holes in the 'process'. In a nut shell could this work yes it certainly could do I see it working in the sense it is believable no.

Aug 3, 2009
Yeah I wasn't going for purely a mentalism effect, but I feel that it could be mentalism in nature. As far as culling the cards I have a much easier method to perform it.

Sep 2, 2007
Sounds like a good idea. I don't understand why people are having such trouble understanding.

Cards selected, shown to be the 4 aces. When the aces are face-up magicians flips em over to see that the back are different. I could imagine a technique right now but meh, too lazy.

Aug 3, 2009
Well here it is finally. Just tell me what you think about the idea. Any suggestion are welcomed and appreciated.
[video=youtube;6WuZmg5QKxE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WuZmg5QKxE[/video]

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results