How to push two cards as one?

Aug 15, 2010
Rencently I had watched the <True Astonishment> by Paul Harris. In the teaching of The Invisible Palm Aces, Wayne Houchin pushed two cards as one. I've tried it very hard but still cannot do it. And I saw some magicians do this push move while they do double lift. But when i do this, the two cards just split off.
Does anyone knows the key points of this move? Thanks for your help!

Apr 20, 2010
It really just takes lots of practice and finesse. Only time can truly teach you.

However, it's best to start with a fairly used deck, also remember that your fingers on bottom play a large role in not pushing off more than 2.

EDIT: We may be talking about different push off double lifts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rencently I had watched the <True Astonishment> by Paul Harris. In the teaching of The Invisible Palm Aces, Wayne Houchin pushed two cards as one. I've tried it very hard but still cannot do it. And I saw some magicians do this push move while they do double lift. But when i do this, the two cards just split off.

the push-off double lift is thought in here. http://www.ellusionist.com/crash-course-2-ambitious-card.html

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia

Practice.

Sorry to be blunt, but it's true - you just have to develop the touch for it. Look up sources that you can learn the push-off double lift from. But there's only so much that can be taught - you have to put in the hours to get the right touch.

During the EMC a few weeks ago, one of the guys (whose name temporarily escapes me) did a trick in which he reaches over to the tabled deck, and picks up two cards instantly. Someone asked him afterwards how he did it so easily - it's ridiculous how easily he does it - and his answer was "Practice."

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
As Prae said, practice lots. Tony Chang has said the he worked on his push off for his DL for about a year to get it right.

Also, there's some tips in the beginning of Expert Card Technique that have helped me a lot.

Sep 2, 2007
London
Yeah, unfortunately, I have to back up what everyone else has said. There isn't really any secret to, it, it's just practice, and more practice. Whenever you watch TV, have a deck in your hand and be constantly pushing off a double, having a quick look to check whether you hit exactly two, then doing it again, and again, and again. After a couple of months you'll be able to do it reliably for yourself and close friends, then after another couple of months, you'll be smooth enough to hit it reliably in front of lay audiences.

@Prae. It was Dani DaOrtiz. Apropos of that, for a really good, almost unmissable, tabled double technique check out Jon Armstrong's DVDs for his "Gin Pick Double". It looks incredibly natural and I found it very simple to hit on the first attempt.

Jul 13, 2010
Malaysia

rather spent time on true astonishment.. i suggest that you first master the basic...
practice make perfect. all magician and cardmen practice..
there is no "shortcut" in the process of mastering sleight of hand..

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Yeah, unfortunately, I have to back up what everyone else has said. There isn't really any secret to, it, it's just practice, and more practice. Whenever you watch TV, have a deck in your hand and be constantly pushing off a double, having a quick look to check whether you hit exactly two, then doing it again, and again, and again. After a couple of months you'll be able to do it reliably for yourself and close friends, then after another couple of months, you'll be smooth enough to hit it reliably in front of lay audiences.

@Prae. It was Dani DaOrtiz. Apropos of that, for a really good, almost unmissable, tabled double technique check out Jon Armstrong's DVDs for his "Gin Pick Double". It looks incredibly natural and I found it very simple to hit on the first attempt.

That's right, it was Dani DaOrtiz indeed. I hate to say this, and I don't mean to sound racist or discriminatory, but I get confused between a couple of those guys, having similar backgrounds and styles of names.

Feb 4, 2008
I agree that whatever technique you choose will take lots of practice but other than the reference to Expert Card Technique I haven't heard many sources to learn a basic technique so I'll offer a few. As was mentioned, the "One Handed Push Off" technique technique is taught on page 9-11 of Expert Card Technique. It is probably the best place to start and it will take a while to learn. This technique uses a buckling technique to push the two cards over. Thus, making it look good will first require you find the right pressure to push two and only two cards(and that pressure varies based on deck finish, stock, and condition) and then you need to smooth it out so it doesn't look like you are buckling the cards.

The Derek Dingle Double lift and variations of it has been a very popular one. The actual push off is easier to get down than the move described in Hugard & Braue and certain moves are used to square up the cards during the action of turning them over. It's a good technique but it requires a turnover to be completed. I learned a version of it from Wayne Houchins Art Of Magic DVD but you can also find it in "The Complete Works of Derek Dingle"

Greg Wilson has an old DVD out called Double Take that is dedicated to Double Lifts of all sorts. I know that a push-off technique is taught but I do not have the DVD to comment on the quality of the DLs taught.

There are two Downloads that I have been curious about, perhaps someone can comment on either of them. Jason England has a 1-on-1 here at T11 and Paul Wilson has an on-demand at Dan&Dave's. I do not know if a push off technique is taught on either download but knowing the teachers I'd assume they might be a good place to start if you are interested in learning or improving your DLs.

Finally, though it is not a push off technique, you might check out Lee Asher's Diving Board Double. It is a one handed doubling technique that has a lot of applications. It can be used as a double lift, a double turnover, and even as a flourish. This has become my Go-to DL. It took me about a month to learn the basic technique and probably six more to get to the point where I could pull it without a get ready.

I hope some of those references help. There are plenty more I'm sure. One way or the other, as has been said before, it will still require lots of practice before any push-off or one handed technique is performance ready.

Nov 7, 2009
Paris, France
Thanks for the references.

Quick question about the push off though : I've never seen either one in real life, nor one filmed in HD, so I got to wonder... Is there always a supertiny brief where the thumb can contact the second card or can you actually not touch the second card at all and still do a perfect squared push off (with no rotation to realign the double) ?
Hope it's not too much exposure :s

Jan 31, 2010
Thanks for the references.

Quick question about the push off though : I've never seen either one in real life, nor one filmed in HD, so I got to wonder... Is there always a supertiny brief where the thumb can contact the second card or can you actually not touch the second card at all and still do a perfect squared push off (with no rotation to realign the double) ?
Hope it's not too much exposure :s

The ECT method. It's not really taught in the book though. The basic move is described, but the authors can offer no reason why it works, and have no finer points to suggest. It just does.

I've been working on this method for a few months, I'd be happy to discuss it more if you want over pm.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results