PAPERCUTS by Chris Hestnes / #SecretCardProject

For the past few weeks, there has been everything from tweets to message board discussions about a secret card project. Speculation about what this could be has been across the board. One thing for certain though, we were in Norway for a week filming with four of the most prominent young magicians and flourishers in Europe: Allan Hagen, Chris Hestnes, Erik Jansson and Jordan Lapping.
Although all these guys are featured on the project, it’s Chris Hestnes with the starring role. Chris is the most well-versed flourisher we’ve seen arise in the past few years. Inspired by The System, and then later The Trilogy, he developed his own style and created some truly stunning pieces that have especially caught our eye.
Judging from all the photos and videos posted, you might have thought we were filming a movie. Well, no it’s not a movie, just one of the most high-end productions for an instructional DVD the community has seen, and we’re calling it: Papercuts. It will feature a collection of original flourishes created by Chris Hestnes.
Behind it all is Allan Hagen, the producer, director of photography and editor of the project. It is Allan’s artistic vision and experience working on films that will bring Papercuts to life like no other.
More about how the DVD came to be can be read here:
dananddave.com/articles/our-recent-visit-to-norway-for-a-secret-project/
http://www.dananddave.com/news/

J.

Your welcome Allan.

Whats the ETA on this DVD?

J.

Won't be too specific - but we're aiming to get it out sometime later this year. Mind you, we just wrapped production on it ten days ago and both Chris and I will be very busy studying over the next few months, so putting something like this together will take some time, but if all goes to plan, it'll be out later this year.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Won't be too specific - but we're aiming to get it out sometime later this year. Mind you, we just wrapped production on it ten days ago and both Chris and I will be very busy studying over the next few months, so putting something like this together will take some time, but if all goes to plan, it'll be out later this year.

I'm not that big of a flourisher, is this for serious flourishers or those of my situation as well? Also, production quality = orgasmic. Looks like it was shot like a movie. My favorite video of Chris would have to be Nidaros though, that was ballin.

-Casey

Thanks, Casey!

Nidaros was definitely a highlight for me, too - which is why I used a lot of that style for inspiration when figuring out how to shoot Papercuts.

Some of the moves on the DVD are pretty knacky, and some, you can get down a lot quicker than others.

No doubt, though - everything will take time to learn, and more time to make it look good, especially as good as in Chris' hands.
Everything is explained very thoroughly, though - so I think as long as you have some fundamental card handling skills and you know/feel comfortable with most basic flourishes, you should be able to learn from this easily due to the great explanations.

While filming the explanations on-set, we would always try to learn the flourishes by watching Chris' hands as he taught them for the cameras and follow along with cards in our hands as a sort of 'quality control' on his teaching. Good times. :)

best,
Allan

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Thanks, Casey!

Nidaros was definitely a highlight for me, too - which is why I used a lot of that style for inspiration when figuring out how to shoot Papercuts.

Some of the moves on the DVD are pretty knacky, and some, you can get down a lot quicker than others.

No doubt, though - everything will take time to learn, and more time to make it look good, especially as good as in Chris' hands.
Everything is explained very thoroughly, though - so I think as long as you have some fundamental card handling skills and you know/feel comfortable with most basic flourishes, you should be able to learn from this easily due to the great explanations.

While filming the explanations on-set, we would always try to learn the flourishes by watching Chris' hands as he taught them for the cameras and follow along with cards in our hands as a sort of 'quality control' on his teaching. Good times. :)

best,
Allan

That's a smart way of shooting the explanations! I will probably most definitely be picking this up to support both of you as both of you had put in a lot of dedication and hard work that needs to be well honored over the course of the past few years. It all has paid off and I'm sure it was a blast shooting the DVD. Wish I would have been there to witness it all in action.

-Casey

Jun 10, 2010
That's a smart way of shooting the explanations! I will probably most definitely be picking this up to support both of you as both of you had put in a lot of dedication and hard work that needs to be well honored over the course of the past few years. It all has paid off and I'm sure it was a blast shooting the DVD. Wish I would have been there to witness it all in action.

-Casey

Is Nidaros a flourishing DVD, just like Papercuts? Because I can't find it for sale anywhere, but I saw a 2 minute video on youtube about it.

Is Nidaros a flourishing DVD, just like Papercuts? Because I can't find it for sale anywhere, but I saw a 2 minute video on youtube about it.

Hey, man. Like JDENredden said - that's about it. Nidaros was just a short flourish video Chris and I did. Those short videos, though, is what would eventually lead to us deciding we could make a DVD if we brought in a few extra people and planned it thoroughly. :)

best,
Allan

Jun 10, 2010
Hey, man. Like JDENredden said - that's about it. Nidaros was just a short flourish video Chris and I did. Those short videos, though, is what would eventually lead to us deciding we could make a DVD if we brought in a few extra people and planned it thoroughly. :)

best,
Allan

Ahh. Can't wait to see Papercuts :D

May 9, 2008
Not to be pessimistic, but for some reason the music reminded me of the music from the movie "Where the Wild Things Are", and I found it absolutely creepy, and a little depressing. But hey, to each their own. Didn't see anything too exciting on the preview. I hope there's more.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results