A Magician's Journal- August 20- "Imagina 2010"

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Before Anything:

This will be a mini-series of 3 journals all detailing the event Imagina 2010..a magic event here in my town and since it was only a magic show, the events before and after the show was the thing I was looking forward more...

There is a mystery person who I met,performed and have dinner with, I will be refering at him as HIM...and we get to know each other really good...I still can´t believe this past days...but all I can say is that he changed my life, my thoughts and my magic...FOREVER...I´ll reveal it at the end of this first journal since it makes no sense to keep it secret...but I encourage you to read first and then check the end of the journal and the photos..

"Imagina 2010"
Journal of August 2010
By Luis Vega

Today
6:00 pm

I wake up and I still think this past days were a dream...I was literally crying of happiness last night...to meet HIM and most important becoming his friend and his student...I feel blessed...I still think this was a dream, then I wake up and see the signed cards, the signed deck and his poster..and I realize this wasn´t a dream..it happened..man!! I am really tired so I took a nap from 3:00 to 5:00 and I have to wake up since my brothers are going to the movies..I get ready to go as I think of this past days...

Thursday
2:00 pm

"I think I can go this event" I say as I look at the newspaper and see the banner for the event Imagina 2010...I see some faces from the publicity..then I recognized one..."OMG!! IS HIM!" I scream in my head..as I realize is so great he is coming here...It would be great to met him...I dream about that...it also says here that there will be a red carpet with dinner tomorrow...oh!! it says that HIM won´t be going..that´s a shame, it was maybe the only chance I could have to meet and greet...
well...I think I can go there..and then I´ll decide if I can go to the main show

Friday
Restaurant Grant´s
9:00 pm

I arrive and park my car..then I enter the restaurant gladily I made a reservation and I am passed inmediatly, although I am not one of the organizers I still will look to get some things not made for the normal people...I enter and see my table and just sit and wait

9:20 pm

"ok..why hasn´t anyone arrived yet?" I complain to myself since there is a little stage and I see some people but not to many sit on their tables..then I recognized somebody, the filled table is the Mayor of this city and his family..and they looked bored.

So I think and think and think and since no magician has arrived I realize there is one magician here...ME!!
I approach the mayor table and says
"So...Good night everyone!!"
"Hello!!" the Mayo says
"Are you here to watch the magic show?"
"yes!! we are!"
"that´s great!!so..how about a heads-up" I say while doing a big spring
"WOW!! I didn´t realize the magicians already arrived"

I start with my usual routine, and as I progress I realize there is a lot of cameras gathering around me and photographers and they just keep recording my performance,well I cannot blame them, they seemed tired of waiting for the main magicians..

I do my routine of Liquid Metal and then I just look around a second..and I see HIM...he just arrived, he is just starring at me with a smile...I froze for a second, then I continue my routine, I am happy to see HIM..

I must say that even though there is like 20 cameras around me I don´t feel nervous, it like disconecting yourself from the rest of the world and just see yourself and the spectators, nothing more...I finish and I get a big applause from my audience, I say thanks and enjoy the show! then a lot of photographers ask me my name to include it in the newspapers and magazines...sweet!!

Ok..so here is it..I will go and meet HIM...don´t be nervous,although he is very famous I bet he is a nice person...

"Hello Mr. HIM!! I was so eager to met you!!"
"well, I saw you bending a fork just a minute ago and then I wanted to met you too!! what´s your name?"
"Luis Vega"
"Luis Vega....you are a very good magician, your audience reacted well to you...so...are you showing me some magic?"
"ah...uhm..of course!!"
"well, let´s see" he says as he sit in his table..now I look around and I am surrounded by magicians, some of them with a lot of history in magic in Mexico, magicians like Jim,Spider,Dino,Gozner are looking at me as a stranger that just came from nowhere...

I decide to perform my own material, since maybe he has seen countless of times the same old tricks maybe I´ll get lucky and one of my tricks are original..

I open with SURE? and I can see that he is really enjoying the magic, also he doesn´t react like a magician, he is just natural as an spectator, the misdirection required for the trick cannot fool a magician and I am sure I didn´t fool him, but he just goes with it, which I think is great and classy

"very nice trick!! the misdirection is well applied and I can see you fooling a big audience with it...did you create this trick?"
"yes..it´s called SURE?"
"Oh!! of course!! it goes along with your final line..wait...are you SURE this wasn´t your card? awesome...how about anoher one?"
"of course"

I then use my trick Now...Where... and when I do the production of his card out of nowhere he just says..
"WOW!! nice application of the ********* it´s real good"
"Thanks"
"I can see you have great ideas...do you go to a magic school or any of these magicians is your mentor?"
"no sir...I learned all by myself, I am a local magician and to be honest I have never knew more than 2 magicians"
"impressive!! I believe somehow you developed you own material due to the lack of influences...any other idea?"
"yes"

I perform Dissolution, my card to wallet, now I wasn´t sure this trick was original, but I think maybe I´ll know it soon..

as before, the misdirection is well applied and then I take out the card out of the wallet..and I say "Wouldn´t be great this card was your card?" "well, if it is then I can tell you have an original trick..but carry on!!"
I turn the card and everybody including him applause
"Oh!! I LOVE YOUR CARD TO WALLET!! It is truly unique!! at one point I thought that trick couldn not be improved..But I realize I was wrong..you have eliminated the need of a gimmicked wallet and a palm and just give it an impromptu feeling!! congratulations Luis!! how do you call this one?"
"Dissolution"
"I also love the name!! great Luis!! don´t leave!! I´ll be seeing you around!!"
"Thanks!! It was a pleasure to perform for you!"
"no, Luis! thanks for the show! I come here to perform a show and I became the spectator!"

I cannot believe what just happened..I impressed HIM...I am speechless!!

12:00 pm

the magic show was good..It´s always exciting to see magic and I try to take the chance to watch it whenever I can, although I have seen many of this tricks before, it nice to see them live..
I am seated on a table with some magicians I didn´t realized they lived in the same city as I...although they are begigners it´s exciting to met them!! maybe will be jamming from now on!!

I turn my head to see HIM and I see he is entertained, but it´s sad to know that since he doesn´t speak spanish he cannot understand all the jokes and patter..I cannot imagine how frustating is that...well at least I can speak english, so I can talk with him without any problem..and also I am sad to see that me and another magician are the only 2 people that can speak english here...

ANYWAY I am enjoying and then the shows ends...I am sure this was just a heads-up since the big show is tomorrow!

1:00

It´s time to jam and talk to other magicians!! I met a lot of great magicians, like Gozner and he clarifies my doubt on the diagonal palm shift, other ones that share my passion of magic, even a Mentalist that is willing to see my show when he can! also a sick trick with a deck of cards, a wine cup and a sugar packet!! HIM is also impressed by this trick!!

but..in the end, HIM is the person I was eager to met...he influenced me to make my show bigger and more flashy..so I just want to say him good night before I leave!!

"Hey HIM!! so are you leaving now?"
"Yes Luis! I have rehearsal tomorrow morning so I gotta sleep early...although is not early now"
"Great!! so are liking the people of Leon?"
"Oh yes!! they are great, and this restaurant is also nice"
"well...it´s one of the best around"
"really? that´s great..."
"Mr Him...I was wondering if you could sign a card for me?"
"Of course...see I have a deck with me, how do I spell your name?"
"L...U...I...S...VEGA."
"Vega? like the star?"
"yes!!"
"there you go...so will you be assisting tomorrow?"
"oh!! of course I wouldn´t miss it for nothing"
"Great!! now...when the show is finished...come backstage, I´ll tell Tony you come with me"
"that would be...well awesome!!"
"Thanks see you tomorrow!!

I see him go inside a Limusine and leave..me?...I just leave with some new friends to have dinner somewhere else..as I reflect about today and think about tomorrow...

End of day 1

BTW...HIM is...Jeff McBride!!

DSC02294.jpgDSC02310.jpgDSC02257.jpgDSC02281.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 13, 2010
Malaysia
OMG.. luis!! jeff mcbride are one of my idol in the magic community.. envy~~ LOL
anyway.. congrats man.. keep up the work.. =D
i will follow your journal daily from now on.. buahaha

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
WOWSERS....that was an awesome experience Luis. That is so great for you. I have yet to have a great run in like this with any celebrities while doing magic, but hopefully my day will come like that. Can't wait to read more.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results