Trick Trading (Read or Suffer Death by Octopus)

Evening.
So I was looking at all the effects on the market, and had the thought that several members of the community must have tricks of equal or better quality. Is that a fair enough hypothesis? I know I've got some original effects that some people would probably enjoy performing.

So, my idea is this: There should be a thread, or portion of t11, or even an entire other website devoted to the community sharing their effects with others.
This would work sort of like a trading post. There's a big list of tricks from everyone, and if you feel like learning one, simply discuss with the creator whether you could learn their effect as a trade for teaching them one of yours. Make sense? No?

I think it would be dandy. You might hate the idea. Either way, let me know what you think :)

EDIT: Seriously, this orange font stuff still doesn't work. I couldn't be more sad

I agree, doesn't sound like the hottest idea. Believe me I see your idea, but how are the creators of the effect getting there grant?

If someone makes an effect worth 10$, one person buys it and tells 9 other people. Then the creators were just shimmed out 90$. Doesn't seem too fair

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 3, 2009
I think ya'll are misunderstanding him. I may be the one misunderstanding him, but I am pretty sure he is talking about people on the forums sharing tricks that they created not ones they bought.

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
I think ya'll are misunderstanding him. I may be the one misunderstanding him, but I am pretty sure he is talking about people on the forums sharing tricks that they created not ones they bought.

Yeah, I am pretty sure that this is what he meant.

Jun 10, 2010
I'm all for it, to be honest. But the rules on it would have to be strict, slight variations on a move is more or less revealing it..

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I would be all for it if it were members sharing effects that "they" came up with and not people just exposing purchased effects which is probably what would happen.

Our IBM ring actually has a "Teach a Trick" night twice a year and all 25 members bring an effect, perform it, and then teach all the members how to accomplish the effect.

Interesting idea.

Jul 13, 2009
I think it is a great idea. However, it is one of those things that I'd feel much much better having password protected to help add an extra barrier to those who just wander on the site looking to troll, expose or those curious eyes.

Oct 12, 2009
Navarre, Florida
I love it.

Idea for how to make it work:

1. Upload your performance/preview videos to youtube.

2. Upload your teaching videos to vimeo and have them each be password protected.

3. To trade effects simply link them to that specific teaching video and give them that password.

Jan 16, 2008
I like this idea very much. In a completely honest and Utopian society this would work wonders, and could save a lot of cash. =)
What you could do to ensure that effects are original is to pass them through certain "filters", aka people who know most of the tricks in the market. These people (such as Craig Browning) would be knowledgable enough to tell the copycats from the originals.
Interesting concept.

Yep, of course I meant original tricks. I am not a crook.
It's more of a way of expanding the community and showing that creators are not just people who are all about the money. :)

Oh of course, I appologize. I think that this would be a great idea. We had a time where we are tired of old effects and this would be an excellent way to keep new tricks flowing in!

Jul 13, 2009
We could indeed just start a thread where we post vidjas and what not via links. Though rules would have to be in place to guarantee quality video and maximum protection of the videos via password like vimeo.

Oct 13, 2008
Sounds like a great idea to me.
With a few rules, this could be very interesting.

It's like trading your own creativity for new tricks, instead of giving money for them :)

Apr 24, 2010
go for it!(please!)
You should definetley get some "Filters" as oldavid1 said, just some people you know are knowledgable.
Also, if your serious, you should pm JB for permission. You don't wanna get banned or something.

Oct 12, 2009
Navarre, Florida
This would definitely give me some mojo to start making videos and a push to further create.

I could see it being problematic if your effect contains sleights that theory11 teaches in their products. FWIW I think the line should be drawn on if learning the sleight is the purpose of the product. That is to say personal creations and public domain sleights ONLY. Like you couldn't have an effect that contains the shinobi control or clipshift. Or you could have it but only say "I usually implement the shinobi control but I can't teach you that, here is a public domain sleight that accomplishes the same thing".

Jun 10, 2010
This would definitely give me some mojo to start making videos and a push to further create.

I could see it being problematic if your effect contains sleights that theory11 teaches in their products. FWIW I think the line should be drawn on if learning the sleight is the purpose of the product. That is to say personal creations and public domain sleights ONLY. Like you couldn't have an effect that contains the shinobi control or clipshift. Or you could have it but only say "I usually implement the shinobi control but I can't teach you that, here is a public domain sleight that accomplishes the same thing".

It'd be like Submit Media then. The T11 team will go through, finding ones that don't reveal too much sleights that aren't public domain..

Jul 13, 2009
Well to combat the problem of effects that use certain sleights that are being sold, all you will have to do is explain what you did that is original and then give out sources onto where you can find X and X. Same goes for other routines, if you do something that you know isn't yours, skip over it by explaining that for example, "You can find the endless loop of rope move in Tabaray rope magic or Fiber Optics Richard Sanders" Then move on to your original part of the routine.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results