How to keep the box and cards in good shape?

Aug 22, 2010
I bought a pack of Sentinels as my first deck to learn cardistry with. The deck lasted me about a weak and a half before the box was falling apart and the cards were becoming too dirty on the sides. I then bought a pack of standard Bicycles from Walmart (ugh) and about 5 days later the box is becoming frayed and the side lips are ripping on the edges.

Is this happening because I am still new to this? Is there something I can do to keep the boxes in better shape? It drives me crazy to see the awesome Sentinels box falling apart on me. I put the deck in my pocket all day and the box comes in and out of there constantly and so is this just normal?

Also, with a nice deck like the Sentinels, how long should they last before they are retired?

Thanks.

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
Use a porper clip for the box. It won't help your cards so much but will keep the box intact and looking nice.

As for the cards, make sure you clean your hands thoroughly before you use them.

Jul 9, 2010
Saginaw,MI
wash your hands all the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! trust me it will make a huge difference and but cheap decks like studs for practicing because that way you won't waste your good cards in like a week also the box yes get a porper clip but and try to keep them cool the hotter the cards are the worse they handle

Jun 22, 2010
get a deck clip it works a lot... either a classic clip form dananddave(dot)com or a porper clip from ellusionist.if you put the deck in ur pocket that just destroys the box so until u get a clip try to avoid the pocket.always keep ur hands clean and a standard bicycle deck should last u a week if ur into cardistry.

Aug 8, 2010
do not practice outside
always but cards into the box after you finished practicing
don't put cards on surfaces like tables and floor.
+
what everyone above said

I practice around 4 hours a day these days, and standart bycicle deck lives around 3 weeks here, maybe ever 4 if you don't mind working with not fanning or spreading cards (still good for cuts!)

May 10, 2010
If you're really hardcore, a deck should last you about a week. With care, it may last two.

If you're conservative, practicing at a rate of say...2 hours a day, then the deck should probably last a month.

I personally practice up to 3 hours a day, and even if I'm not seriously practicing I'm still flourishing in my free time. To top it off, I usually bring a deck to school for fun. Besides, I have to take really good care of my cards because they aren't exactly cheap here in my country. Usually I still use them even if they get dirty or are clumping real bad, and I use them up till a point whereby they're really dead. Can't fan, can't spread, can't do anything with them? That's the cue to open a new pack. Nonetheless, that's usually about 1 and a half or even 2 months after I opened the deck, so I think cards can get really durable at times.

Regarding the box, it will screw up eventually. It's not indestructible, so the only thing you can do is to protect it for as long as you are able to! As many others have mentioned, do try a card clip. Oh and of course, don't throw your box around. I used to do that cause it looked cool, then I realized my box only gets spoilt much faster! :D And make sure you have clean hands! It doesn't help in just cardistry, it helps you keep a healthy and clean image too. No one wants to hold a dirty hand. :)

Aug 22, 2010
I already keep my hands clean as much as possible for my deck, but sometimes I slip up. I heard about warmth screwing up a deck, but I didn't think about how putting it in my pocket would cause problems. If not in my pocket, where do I keep it? I looked at the clips online but I'm confused. All they do is hold the deck on two sides? What advantage is there to using a clip?

May 10, 2010
The clip simply acts as another protective layer above the deck box so in case you drop it while you take it out for example, the box doesn't receive much damage. The clip on the other hand, has a durable material that can withstand the drops. I think putting the deck in your pocket doesn't harm much unless you're in an extremely humid country. For me, I prefer putting the deck in my bag, away from direct heat from the sun.

Aug 22, 2010
Ok cool. I ordered the black classic from Dan and Dave.

Also I have another related question. What is the best way to open a deck? I don't want the seal to transfer sticky stuff to any of the cards.

Jun 10, 2010
Ok cool. I ordered the black classic from Dan and Dave.

Also I have another related question. What is the best way to open a deck? I don't want the seal to transfer sticky stuff to any of the cards.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PEEL IT OFF. That will **** everything up. Instead, make sure the seal is perfectly pressed down everywhere and there isn't anything not sticking to a part of the box. Then, take a pocketknife or regular knife and slice through it cleanly. This makes it almost look perfect when closed and when open, and doesn't ruin the box in any way.

Aug 22, 2010
But won't that leave a sticky side open to the cards when I pull them out? There is a half circle cut out on the box that the seal covers. If I just slice that with a knife, it leaves the sticky part open on that half circle.

Jun 10, 2010
But won't that leave a sticky side open to the cards when I pull them out? There is a half circle cut out on the box that the seal covers. If I just slice that with a knife, it leaves the sticky part open on that half circle.

You cut it on the edge of the half-circle is where you pull the top of the box up.. That's why I said flatten it,
then cleanly cut it so the edge where it's cut out is at the same spot where said half circle is.

If anybody knows what I'm talking about, could you post a picture to help this guy out?

ID4

Aug 20, 2010
It helps protect the box if you just take off the top rectangle of cellophane off and leave the rest on.

Regards,

ID4

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Abject, to answer a question that I don't think has been answered yet:

Putting your deck in your pocket is detrimental because of your body heat. Your normal body heat will in most cases (except those places with very warm Summers) be warmer than the weather outside. Especially if you put it in your pants pocket (as opposed to a blazer pocket), you'll find that the heat causes the cards to warp. If possible, avoid hot days, and problems associated with hot days, but also, try and put the deck in a pocket that is as far away from your inner layer of clothes as possible, or better yet, in a bag.

Aug 22, 2010
The problem is that I like to have a deck of cards on me at all times. Who knows when I might be in a situation where I can practice or someone wants to see what I've been learning. I carry a backpack with me to school and other places sometimes, but not all the time. It's summer and so I don't wear a blazer. So how am I supposed to keep a pack on me? Should I have a deck of cards that are worn out that I carry around on me just to practice, but keep my serious cards at home or in my bookbag? When it starts cooling off, I'll wear my blazer almost every day and will keep them in the pocket.

BTW... I received my classic black card clip from D&D and the Bicycles, Ghosts, and Arcanes fit the clip just fine but the Sentinels that I have been using mostly are too big to fit in it. I tried stuffing a box into the clip and it actually damaged the box a bit. I like the clip. Maybe I'll keep the sentinels at home and carry something else around in the clip. Who knows.

Also I have another slightly related question. I watch Genesis and other videos that teach flourishes, but there is something that they don't teach. Basic card handling. I see nuances of how they handle their cards and little things they do and also things I have learned in these forums that aren't taught in these videos. Is there a book of some sort or somewhere online where I can research this kind of stuff? I would have never known about heat if it wasn't for posting here.

Jun 10, 2010
I'm assuming that basic card handling is stuff like grips, I.E. Mechanics, Biddle, etc. etc., or how they seem to be fluid with their hands without teaching you. Handle cards more. I noticed a few of my friends that got started in card magic who handled cards regularly as they played card games like Poker a lot tended to get better at magic faster... It'll come with time, there's no point trying to teach it.

Sep 21, 2010
use clear tape and tape around the box, this will help your box last much longer :) and about dirty card.... well just wash your hands before you touch the deck man.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results