troubles with DL

Oct 5, 2009
(forgive my poor English)
hi, I've been in magic for about two years, The move I first get down, like everyone else , was the double lift. As the time goes by, I realized that I'm actually pick up and hold the double in a very awful way. Then I started practice the Gordon double lift and I satisfied the way I turnover the cards.
However, Since I don't do any break for DL(It's quicker to execute the move in my point of view), I found that it's looks really unnatural to pick up the double by just flip it or pick it up. I started to learn the push off DL. The trouble is, the more natural DL I use, the more It likely fails, especially with a brand new deck. I already spend tones of practice with the DL, but I still feel nervous to execute the 'natural DL', even loss the feeling of lifting two cards in actual performance. I already get down clipshift, culling a deck of card, diagonal palm shift and many of those moves and could perform them gently to laymen, but the trouble of DL still tormenting me.
Beside suggest me to practice more(Ya, I will do so), Any advice for me?

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I won't tell you to practice more as you requested, but I will note that you should be aware that the harder the technique (and usually the better), the longer it will take to get down. I wouldn't be surprised if it took you years of practice to get them down perfectly and reliably.

In the meantime, I would suggest that you use a DL you're confident with until then. Unfortunately the problem is somewhat self-fulfilling. If you worry about messing up, it may well increase your chance of messing up.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I would take a few days off from practicing the dl completely. It may sound counter-intuitive, but taking a break from it will help more than practicing it over and over. Use the fool-proof one until you're confident in the new one and then make the transition.

Start using the new one, imperfections and everything, on complete strangers. Just a quick trick that uses the dl and then when you're done thank them and go on. It'll help build your confidence in using the move, I do this with every move after I practice it and it helps a lot. You can even ask if they saw anything and help refine your technique that way.

Also, as Prae said, how you approach it mentally is just as important as being able to do a move. If you know you're going to do it well you will, if you start thinking you'll fail then you very well could fail.

Aug 8, 2010
the most and the only difficult part in DL is getting a break, imho. turning the card over is easy as hell :)
i am still used to lifting up two cards with my right thumb, though i know it sucks and i do pinky count pretty good, but it's just a bad bad habbit from my early magic days

Sep 1, 2007
USA
90% mental... just get confident with it.

While it may be unnatural for you to do the other double lifts, the layperson will not know what unnatural and natural are to you. They see you as a magician; Someone who had in-depth knowledge about card.

To them you're not going to handle the cards like any lay person. You're going to handle them in an "expert" way.

So my advice, keep practicing the push off double, and keep using the other "unnatural" lifts until you feel you're ready to use the push off double.

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
The best way to do a double is to push off 2 cards and hold a break, talk, then turn over two cards. This is easily done with the cards to your side. Most tricks you need to do a double right away. I've allowed myself to learn a strike double and can do it with much confidence. Maybe learning a pinky count could help you out! The theory11 downloads for the Double lift and pinky count on 1 on 1's here!!

Oct 5, 2009
Thanks for the advices of everyone, I think my problem is all about confidence. I will use the old DL until I'm ready for the new one. Someone said handle your single like a double rather than handle your double like a single. Of course you should do it nicely, and it's a more easiler way to make your simgle lift and DL match.
I agree that to take a day off form practicing, brain need time for organise the memories.
I like to practice moves periodically, it helps me to keep the motivation of practice. When I get stuck, I will let go and pick up others moves. Next time I pick up the move which I got stuck, the problem would evantually be solved.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results