Magic vs. Religion

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I didn't bother to read any posts here, so I am sorry if I say something that has already been said. As i was skimming through, i saw someone post "dont take versus literally, thats the job for pastors" or something of that sort

The problem is people DO take these things literally. Has anyone studied islam? Or any religion for that matter. Religion limits so many parts of our lives.

I am not an athiest, i am an anti-theist. The difference being that anti-theists believe that even if it were true that god exists and there is life after death, that it is a horribly idea. Living in a supreme dictatorship, you have no say in anything, your life is planned out for you. I cannot think of anything that deflates myself more than those thoughts.

Religion will never go away, it will always be a crutch in our progress as a species.
My main gripe is that I consider religion child abuse. Thoughts and ideas are drilled into childrens heads before they are old enough to have their own thoughts and ideas (all religions, dictatorships prey on children because they are unable to dismiss any claims)

This is very disturbing in north america (primarly united states) where the radicals want creationism to be taught side by side with evolution in schools, which is totally absurd considering the amazing amount of evidence that has been observed over the last 200 years, compared to 0 evidence which supports creationism.

AMEN

If I were to belive in the idea of being a "victim", I was one; I was born into a very narrow-thinking (limited education) southern oriented family... we're talking about the kind of "christian" attitude that drinks poison and plays with rattle snakes & copperheads as part of their proof of faith in some instances... and too, certain members of the "clan" had those peculiar bed sheets at the ready as well... I was taught straight from the bible why it wasn't right for me to play with my black friend down teh street... but I was taught a lot of things from that book that just didn't add up; the more I dug into it and especially as I got older and started looking into the history of both, the book and the cult(s) surrounding it... I simply becaume so disgusted by the bigotry, bearing of false witness, justifying spousal as well as child abuse, the suppression of women, etc, etc, etc... I simply didn't want to be associated with such a sick thinking group of people and that was even before I'd come face to face with their bitteness at a PRIDE Parade or Pagan celebration... that's when I really saw these hypocrits for who they really are vs. what they claim to be.

I agree, it IS child abuse but it is likewise standard cult mentality; a brain washing process that is veiled under the heading of "Religion" and/or "Social Tradition" -- the osmosis type effect that kind of imprints itself on anyone living in a region that is dominated by a given belief or idea. You can even see this same demographic factor in the types of soda that are popular in a given region based on which bottling company has been established in that region the longest; Pepsi or Coke? I can assure you it goes much deeper and includes why you find more Catholics in Hispanic sections of town than you will Methodist or even Unitarians and so forth... and while I'm at it, I need to point out that the Atheists are just as guilty for evangelising and influences a community culture as the rest; the greatest in-roads atheism has known when it comes to infecting general culture (society) with its tenets, has been the auspices of higher education and particularly those disciplines tied to the sciences vs. the arts.

But I think we need to get off the religion theme of things and get back to discussing magic, which is far more appropriate.

Aug 16, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hey guys. I've read this entire thread and I don't get why everyone is still arguing back and forth. The initial question/topic-for-discussion, was the religious view of Harry Potter, and whether it's a sin to say your doing real magic. If you are not a Christian or at least raised Christian, than you shouldn't really be posting on this thread. As much as you're entitled to your own opinions, this is dealing with Christian beliefs and views which if your not Christian or not raised Christian you shouldn't presume to think you know too much about.

Now back to the main question. The reason which some Christian families do not approve of Harry Potter, is because for some reason they believe that J. K. Rowling is promoting sorcery. That is magic which comes from demons. If she was really doing that, it would be wrong. But here's the scoop; she is not doing that. She actually a Christian herself and at least in the last two books it contains many Christian symbols, values, even biblical quotes.

Now the all important question. Your goal as an entertainer is to entertain your audience. And as a magician, it's your job to mystify your audience. This means making them feel as though they have experienced the supernatural, to make them feel the joy of a child's complete sense of wonder. Is this wrong, of course not. You're not trying to prove magic is real, you're trying to make them gasp in amazement. Of course you're going to hear the question: "how did you do that?" And you say: "magic." Is this wrong? NO! You're using "it's magic" as an excuse for not telling them the actual way you do it. You are not actually trying to convince them that what you did is magic, but that "it's magic(so I can't tell you)". If however you were actually believing yourself, that stuff magic(not sleight of hand) was real, than that would indeed be very wrong. If your spectators know that your not trying to be a demon and they're still not comfortable with seeing your magic, find yourself a new audience.

There, I hope that satisfies you Mr. KevinOwens, and that you all will quit tearing at each others' throats. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Hey guys. I've read this entire thread and I don't get why everyone is still arguing back and forth. The initial question/topic-for-discussion, was the religious view of Harry Potter, and whether it's a sin to say your doing real magic. If you are not a Christian than you shouldn't really be posting on this thread. As much as you're entitled to your own opinions, this is dealing with Christian beliefs and views which if your not Christian you shouldn't presume to think you know too much about.

Now back to the main question. The reason which some Christian families do not approve of Harry Potter, is because for some reason they believe that J. K. Rowling is promoting sorcery. That is magic which comes from demons. If she was really doing that, it would be wrong. But here's the scoop; she is not doing that. She actually a Christian herself and at least in the last two books it contains many Christian symbols, values, even biblical quotes.

Now the all important question. Your goal as an entertainer is to entertain your audience. And as a magician, it's your job to mystify your audience. This means making them feel as though they have experienced the supernatural, to make them feel the joy of a child's complete sense of wonder. Is this wrong, of course not. You're not trying to prove magic is real, you're trying to make them gasp in amazement. Of course you're going to hear the question: "how did you do that?" And you say: "magic." Is this wrong? NO! You're using "it's magic" as an excuse for not telling them the actual way you do it. You are not actually trying to convince them that what you did is magic, but that "it's magic(so I can't tell you)". If however you were actually believing yourself, that stuff magic(not sleight of hand) was real, than that would indeed be very wrong. If your spectators know that your not trying to be a demon and they're still not comfortable with seeing your magic, find yourself a new audience.

There, I hope that satisfies you Mr. KevinOwens, and that you all will quit tearing at each others' throats. Thanks.

magicman247... I can assure you that I know MORE about Christianity than most people that call themselves such and have the degrees to prove it. But that's aside the fact... somewhere in the 80s Pat Robertson and his cronies started promoting fear of everything but especially Tv shows, Cartoons, Films & Games that excited the imagination and encouraged a belief in fantasy. Their suggestion benig aking to saying that smoking pot leads everyone to harion and other horrid addictions vs. drinking beer... which only leads to potential bad behaivor and self-destruction as well... but so does food.. .go figure.

Robertson & Co. don't want kids to believe in any kind of "Magic" outside what the bible claims... members of his "association" have even invented games and stories that borrow from the fantasy D&D type mind-set, but likewise host a "God" and Jesus association... so what if Angels are being misrepresented along with a 101 other things; Robertson's only goal was and still is, mind washing the next generation... which is what the original poster is having to deal with; social paranoria by a group of people that now see a devil under every stone in their drive way. A cult-Mind situation that would rather have their children grow up superstitious and ignorant and not capable of functioning in a very competitive, expansive intellectually based society that is able to look at Harry Potter, Gandolf, Merlin and all those other magickle folk of literary lore for what they are; characters in a STORY and a story that has absolutely no alternative agenda outside of encouraging kids to READ.

The "Solution" has been several fantasy adventure novels invented by members of the Modern Christian business world that mirror and mimick these other tales but neuter the sense of imagination and fantasy... forever pointing back to one almighty IS vs. the greater truth that all of us ARE THE POWER and the MAGICK... it is within us and believe it or not, even Jesus pointed that little fact out a few times, damning the auspices of professional clergy and classifying them to be lower than a snake... but we don't hear them preaching about that one, do we? But then we're talking about a Billion Dollar a Year Enterprise... Tax Free at that!

Now, as to trying to create magick that feels "real"... well, the antics of doing really bad one liners that have been around since the late 1800s and presenting rather silly bits of business has just about worn out its welcome in most of the westernize world; the market itself (outside those insisting on a Disneyland culture... of course, that's other than the Gay community) is wanting to EXPERIENCE Magick, not watch it. People want something experiential and the only way to give that to them is to perform in ways that make the magic feel "real"... much of what we see today being a meshing of long guarded Mentalist bits of psychology applied to aspects of traditional magic. While I have mixed feelings around this, I'm fully cognizant as to where it is coming from and why... and it's much more than the ego-need of shocking people... you could say it's more primitive or tribal than that.

I spent most of my early life doing big illusions because that is what was commercial, not so much these days. As a mentalist & bizarrists (mostly mental though), I focus on creating realism, not the delivery of a bunch of poorly executed, hooky tricks. When you watch me work, even if you are familiar with the material, you will walk away seeing a room full of believers and that is how Mentalism is supposed to be presented... disclaimer free, leaving the audience with just enough of an opening to not be fully certain if it is real or not but never admitting to nor denying such... that has been the rule of thumb for generations and when it comes to the delema this young man is facing it is up to him to ask which is more important to him...which has the most validity and immeadiate affirmation for him and his life.

I am rather confident that after wading through this thread and honestly thinking about the harsh truths surrounding the actual actions of "Christians" vs. the propanda preached... at the very least, he's going to be looking at things very differently and probably making some tough decesions in the not so distant future.

Aug 16, 2010
Seattle, WA
Mr. Craig Browning,

I hope you understand I was not adressing you as a non-Christian talking about something you don't know about, but I was adressing others posting on this thread, who obviously know nothing of Christian beliefs and really can't constructively contribute to this thread.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Mr. Craig Browning,

I hope you understand I was not adressing you as a non-Christian talking about something you don't know about, but I was adressing others posting on this thread, who obviously know nothing of Christian beliefs and really can't constructively contribute to this thread.

Ok... My bad... the tone of how you responded lead me to jump to different conclusions. But yes, there are those that have expressed sentiments not based on actual footwork, investigation, etc. It is "trendy" after all, to disbelieve in everything prior to investigation as well as the LIE that being a magician instantly requires one to become an atheist.

My position sounds a hint cliche -- I support most everything JESUS taught but not everything all the other opinionated editors, self-appointed PR men, etc. added to his gospel and more importantly, chose to take out of it. JC was the sort of person I'd most likely had hung out with in the day; he seems to have some of the same ways of looking at life as I do... that includes his contempt towards organized religion -- priests taking away from the public, their direct access to the higher aspects of "divinity" as well as the politicizing of it all... we alll know how he viewed the money making atttitudes of "priests".

Hey guys. If you are not a Christian than you shouldn't really be posting on this thread. This is dealing with Christian beliefs and views which if your not Christian you shouldn't presume to think you know too much about.
Thanks.

And who are you sir, to be the judge of everyone else here on this forum's experience and knowledge of religious dogma? Who are you to tell someone what they can or can't do?

How do you know what someone's knowledge base is just based on their expressed religious beliefs. Does my religious position of being a non-Christian immediately mean that I don't know anything about Christian beliefs? If you're going to suggest that it does, you've got another thing coming. I was raised Christian, and I've turned my back on religion as a personal choice.

I'd be careful flinging around statements like that. It's insulting, inflammatory, and will get you into a lot of trouble with some of the other, smarter, and more vocal members on this forum.

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
I didn't bother to read any posts here, so I am sorry if I say something that has already been said. As i was skimming through, i saw someone post "dont take versus literally, thats the job for pastors" or something of that sort

The problem is people DO take these things literally. Has anyone studied islam? Or any religion for that matter. Religion limits so many parts of our lives.

I am not an athiest, i am an anti-theist. The difference being that anti-theists believe that even if it were true that god exists and there is life after death, that it is a horribly idea. Living in a supreme dictatorship, you have no say in anything, your life is planned out for you. I cannot think of anything that deflates myself more than those thoughts.

Religion will never go away, it will always be a crutch in our progress as a species.
My main gripe is that I consider religion child abuse. Thoughts and ideas are drilled into childrens heads before they are old enough to have their own thoughts and ideas (all religions, dictatorships prey on children because they are unable to dismiss any claims)

This is very disturbing in north america (primarly united states) where the radicals want creationism to be taught side by side with evolution in schools, which is totally absurd considering the amazing amount of evidence that has been observed over the last 200 years, compared to 0 evidence which supports creationism.

Following Christ isn't a religion. its a relationship. I've avoided this thread, but i had to say this, because its what matters the most to me.

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
Also, Leeches are still used in medicine. Medicinal leeches are now making a comeback in microsurgery. They provide an effective means to reduce blood coagulation, relieve venous pressure from pooling blood (venous insufficiency), and in reconstructive surgery to stimulate circulation in reattachment operations for organs with critical blood flow, such as eyelids, fingers, and ears. The therapeutic effect is not from the blood taken in the meal, but from the continued and steady bleeding from the wound left after the leech has detached. The most common complication from leech treatment is prolonged bleeding, which can easily be treated, although allergic reactions and bacterial infections may also occur.
Because of the minuscule amounts of hirudin present in leeches, it is impractical to harvest the substance for widespread medical use. Hirudin (and related substances) are synthesised using recombinant techniques. Devices called "mechanical leeches" have been developed which dispense heparin and perform the same function as medicinal leeches, but they are not yet commercially available.

Wiki-wiki-wiki-wikipedia... :)

Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
Craig
to add to your Pat robinson stuff

A few months ago Haiti was hit by a massive earthquake, tens of thousands of people died
heres what this, one of the biggest christian religious leaders in the world, said about it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7OVuRtECs4

sure not everyone thinks like this, but its enough for religious haks like this to be taken to the streets and beaten to death by the people.

Sep 30, 2008
Pittsburgh
Hey guys. I've read this entire thread and I don't get why everyone is still arguing back and forth. The initial question/topic-for-discussion, was the religious view of Harry Potter, and whether it's a sin to say your doing real magic. If you are not a Christian than you shouldn't really be posting on this thread. As much as you're entitled to your own opinions, this is dealing with Christian beliefs and views which if your not Christian you shouldn't presume to think you know too much about.

People actually aren't tearing at each other's throats, which is encouraging.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Craig
to add to your Pat robinson stuff

A few months ago Haiti was hit by a massive earthquake, tens of thousands of people died
heres what this, one of the biggest christian religious leaders in the world, said about it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7OVuRtECs4

sure not everyone thinks like this, but its enough for religious haks like this to be taken to the streets and beaten to death by the people.

Fat Pat & Co. love to point fingers at this and that disaster claiming that it is god's wrath... what about the growing migration of the public away from religion? What about the growing scores of young & old alike, feeling dirty about being called a "christian" and choosing to call themselves a "follower of Jesus" (and I must emphasize JESUS vs. the current Paulist views... most all of the "orthodox" christian world leans more on the writings of Paul, who denounced the actual people and family that knew JC himself and what he really said & did. Most of the doctrine and practices of the church (as a whole) are based on Paul's rather narrow views and opinions NOT on what JC himself said or did... the list is long). . .

I'm certain Robertson and the rest of the rating chasing Televangelist would tell you that it's Satan deceiving these people and pulling them away from the "truth" but why couldn't it be the other way around; the public has learned to see Satan's hand in the ways of the church -- it's duplicity, social-political manipulation, acts of false accusation, contempt prior to investigation, extreme plagiarism, acts of deliberate genocide since the start of its official history (not to be confused with JC & Co -- we're talking a few centuries after the fact).

One of the first "techniques" a new magic student is introduced to is Misdirection... if Satan is the master of deception, don't you think he'd apply misdirection as a way to get you to see his desired illusion -- to look at what's in the other hand and not what he's trying to conceal?

When "they" scream about Harry Potter, Hobbits and Halloween it is because of their own insecurity as well as their need to force a less than educated public to see and fear "evil" everywhere but where it really exists. This includes impositions such as shame over our own bodies, sexuality and even race not to mention how, in recent times, we've seen them chide people for not voting according to what people like Fat Pat & Co. want you to vote... many being disfellowshipped a few years back, for not voting for Bush Jr or worse, sharing a negative opinion of the man (how could any semi-educated person not say something negative about the fool... it was just too blatant?).

If you watch Harry Potter films, read the books, etc. you are not going to be sacrificing virgins and invoking some kind of evil entity next week or probably not in the course of your current life time. If you are an honest to god dye in the wool Christian, then your "faith" alone will keep you from moving down this supposed path. But for some reason the "leaders" of christianity think you're too weak of faith or perhaps the auspices of the teachings themselves are too weak, so they tell you to fear and avoid this or that... and they do so by inventing some kind of very thin connection between (as per the original posts example) a commandment and the practice of actually doing something that's so bloody innocent... going to see a fun movie for the sake of "escape' or have an imaginary adventure on a raft with a big black man flowing down the Mississippi... and yes, Tom Sawyer & Huck Finn (most of Twain's material) is on their do not read lists believe it or not.

READ YOUR HISTORY FOLKS... look at how these same modes of action resulted in acts of Martin Luther, Wessly and even those "Pilgrims" that migrated to the North American shores for the sake of "freedom to worship"... by the way, few of them were christians, as we've been taught to believe. Rather, they were runs hod over by Puritan overlords that answered to the Crown; they were seen as deviants and rejects, many of whom actually clung to the older ways of faith that were traditional to the people of the British Isles, allowing for a thing veneer of Christianity to cover their faith so as to avoid the gallows or pyre.

Pardon yet another long winded post but this is something that really gets me a bit peeved -- Church abuse of yong people's minds. The result is my reaching out and encouraging you to not just do some research via materials outside church approved literature, but to likewise go within and ask yourself why, if this is the one and only truth, why must it constantly defame and discredit other traditions, cultures and teachings? If it is the only legit path to god, why does it boast a 1,700+ year history that's knee deep in innocent blood, conquests, the theft of sacred artifacts belonging to other people's, etc, etc, etc.?

Jesus didn't teach such things and in fact, condemned them... so maybe it's time to honestly ask "What Would Jesus Do?" instead of what is allowed and not allowed by your church leaders and the Tv evangelists???

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
...ask yourself why, if this is the one and only truth, why must it constantly defame and discredit other traditions, cultures and teachings? ... why does it boast a 1,700+ year history that's knee deep in innocent blood, conquests, the theft of sacred artifacts belonging to other people's, etc, etc, etc.?

Isn't this faulty reasoning? Couldn't a person say the same for any people group and it would be true? "Man, those atheists, how can they say they believe the truth when there are so many atheists who are responsible for so much bloodshed throughout history. If that's what atheists teach, I don't want any part of that."
-or-
"Man, those white people, they are responsible for so much war..."
-or-
"Man, those Hindu's..." -you get my point.

I think your concern is about people in general, not with God.

In fact:
Jesus didn't teach such things and in fact, condemned them...

this is who (genuine) Christians follow and are aspiring towards, and hope to one day be like.

You can't expect everyone to be perfect. You just can't. The bible teaches that even though his people do many wrong things, he extends grace to them over and over. Then he tells them to go and do likewise for others. No one is perfect, but through Christ is a solution, not more problem.

Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
Thats the point he is trying to make. It all has to do with people. People who use the "God card" to make irrational decisions which have ended up in more lost lives than the black plague, the 2 world wars, vietnam, iraq etc combined.

You have very powerful people throughout history using religion to control people, keep tyhem in line, telling them that only they know the truth. Sorry but, not you, nor i, nor your priest, the pope, pat robinson etc, know the truth. Nobody knows. And anybody who claims otherwise is nothing but a good ol fashioned liar.

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
Thats the point he is trying to make. It all has to do with people. People who use the "God card" to make irrational decisions which have ended up in more lost lives than the black plague, the 2 world wars, vietnam, iraq etc combined.

You have very powerful people throughout history using religion to control people, keep tyhem in line, telling them that only they know the truth. Sorry but, not you, nor i, nor your priest, the pope, pat robinson etc, know the truth. Nobody knows. And anybody who claims otherwise is nothing but a good ol fashioned liar.

Thats why people shouldn't have power. God gets the power.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
What about the growing scores of young & old alike, feeling dirty about being called a "christian" and choosing to call themselves a "follower of Jesus" (and I must emphasize JESUS vs. the current Paulist views... most all of the "orthodox" christian world leans more on the writings of Paul, who denounced the actual people and family that knew JC himself and what he really said & did. Most of the doctrine and practices of the church (as a whole) are based on Paul's rather narrow views and opinions NOT on what JC himself said or did... the list is long). . .

This is an excellent point in regard to this issue.

A majority of people who label themselves "Christians" in our modern culture have not undergone the process of salvation that Jesus Christ described very thoroughly.

I'm hesitant to use the word "Christian", because apparently, anyone and everyone can be a Christian without being saved, and it's, for some reason, it's a taboo to judge them.
I've heard Christians who align themselves with Christ's teachings properly label themselves "disciples", "followers", "servants", and many other things, just not "Christians".

You also have to apply this to the label "Church" as well.
A majority of organizations that label themselves "Churches" in our modern culture are not the Body of Christ.

Sorry for the digressions.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
... Sorry but, not you, nor i, nor your priest, the pope, pat robinson etc, know the truth. Nobody knows. And anybody who claims otherwise is nothing but a good ol fashioned liar.

Out of curiosity, what authority can you make that claim? That statement seems to claim that you do know a truth that 'truth' is not known. Hmm...

Sep 1, 2007
Thessalonians

Verses 19,20, 21:
"Quench not the spirit; despise not prophesying; prove all things; hold fast that which is good."

Corinthians

3:22:
"Whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas or the world or life or death or things preset, or things to come; all are yours."

Verse 7:
"But the manifestation of the spirit is given to everyman to profit withal."

Verse 10:
"To another the working of miracles, to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues."

XII:28:
"And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healing."

XIV:1:
"Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy."

XIV:3:
"But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort."

31:
"For ye may prophesy one by one, that all may learn and all may be comforted."

32:
"And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets."

39:
"Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues."

Acts

5:38-39:
"And now I say unto you, refrain from those men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to naught: But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God."

Make of all that what you will.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I don't know if you've noticed or not, but quoting bible verses only works on people that believe in and fear the holy suppository...

Originally Posted by Craig Browning
...ask yourself why, if this is the one and only truth, why must it constantly defame and discredit other traditions, cultures and teachings? ... why does it boast a 1,700+ year history that's knee deep in innocent blood, conquests, the theft of sacred artifacts belonging to other people's, etc, etc, etc.?

Isn't this faulty reasoning? Couldn't a person say the same for any people group and it would be true? "Man, those atheists, how can they say they believe the truth when there are so many atheists who are responsible for so much bloodshed throughout history. If that's what atheists teach, I don't want any part of that."
-or-
"Man, those white people, they are responsible for so much war..."
-or-
"Man, those Hindu's..." -you get my point.

I think your concern is about people in general, not with God.

In fact:

NO… you’re trying to justify or nullify the many transgressions for which (apparently) your religion is guilty of in the name of their god and supposed right to physically force everyone to comply to their will and way.

What kind of “God” sends armies out to murder an entire race of people simply because they won’t worship him? Is this the benevolent “loving” paternal type of deity Christians claim their god to be?

Well, it most certainly is… the Old Testament reads like one of the biggest Genocide-based conquests in world history up to and possibly including WWII and the antics of the Nazis. But even in the current era we have good old Patrick out murdering and tormenting the very people who saved his life and nursed him back to health; even keeping two of the elders as “pets” after blinding them and chaining them to the floor in his private study in order to have intellectual equals to converse with…

I know hundreds of Atheists and even Satanist who’ve never hurt a soul and in fact, never will. Ignore what Hollywood and the preachers tell you about Satanist, they don’t believe in wasting life just for the sake of a “sacrifice”… and LeVey would literally catch insects in his home and gently carry them outside and release them and he was the founder of the Satanic church… granted his daughter has grossly bastardized things, but not so much for the “true” believers who tend to mimic Buddhism more than anything else.

Historically no other cult, culture, political or military element is responsible for more bloodshed, violence and general inhumanity than Christianity and its many faces. That includes those scenarios in which you have Christians killing other Christians for not believing or worshipping God the “right way”… just look at the bigotry within most of Protestantism towards Catholics, 7th Day Adventists, Mormons, etc.

Originally Posted by Craig Browning
Jesus didn't teach such things and in fact, condemned them...
this is who (genuine) Christians follow and are aspiring towards, and hope to one day be like.

You can't expect everyone to be perfect. You just can't. The bible teaches that even though his people do many wrong things, he extends grace to them over and over. Then he tells them to go and do likewise for others. No one is perfect, but through Christ is a solution, not more problem.

So you’re saying that it’s ok to go out and break or twist all of the commandments and examples as to how to live… more or less do whatever you please, because “God” has already forgiven you.

Wow! Sign me up! That’s far easier than being responsible for your defects of character, acts of attrition, bigotry, lethargy, theft, murder, etc. I’m certain the American Indians or Native Hawaiians would be forgiving and understanding of the brutality they came to know at the hands of the good missionaries that desecrated their lands, forced them to worship their god by way of beating and blackmail (the threat of killing their kin folk) and even pushing for laws (some are still in effect) that forbid them of speaking their own language, worshiping in the way of their people and THEIR OWN traditional understanding of the divine… but such antics are exactly how “Christians” have poisoned and conquered countless nations the world over, isn’t it?

As to “Christ” being the “solution” I’d suggest you learn what that word means; it’s not someone’s last name but a title and if we are referring to what that title means, then by all means, we should strive towards being “as” Christ… one that has obtained sufficient command of his/her self in matters of grace, discipline, etc. to stand as an “anointed one”… a great teacher of wisdom. I’ve yet to see a single self-professed Christian obtain that state… especially when you consider that it is on par with Nirvana. What’s worse, is I don’t see very many such people even trying to apply themselves along said path; they’d rather make excuses and justify their bad behaviors than practice the very ideology they are trying to force everyone else to live by… and Yes, the Children of Islam are likewise guilty of this this same thing, just not at the level of magnitude the spoilt, arrogant westernized Christians tend to be… they actually have more respect for Jesus the man than those that claim to follow him, believe it or not.

UNDERSTAND… I am NOT an atheist or “non-believer” as some might assume. I am what most might call a “Gnostic-Christian” when it comes to my views on things and before you say it, yes, it’s one of those Christian groups other Christians speak badly of, accuse of being wrong, satanic, etc. even though it is far older than anything we have today under the Christian banner… and of course there’s the fact that the original Jerusalem church, the one that was founded by James, the brother of Jesus based on the teachings of his brother, was likewise Gnostic by design… but hey, let’s not confuse the issue with the facts (it gets the modern Paulist-Christians just twisted something terrible)

I will stand up and defend anyone’s right to believe as they wish but not when their beliefs trespass on the lives and rights of others. It doesn’t matter if you’re a Christian, atheist, Buddhist or what have you, if you are trying to force people into following your version of “the truth” you are in the wrong, it’s that simple. Similarly, if you are not applying the standards and teachings of your faith, you have absolutely no right to express any form of dismay, accusation or condemnation towards others, but especially those who are not directly challenging or interfering with YOUR life.

I turn 51 next week and in the course of those years I’ve seen and experienced some of the ugliest modes of bigotry one could imagine, all of it right here in the good ole U.S. of A and ALL OF IT at the hands of people calling themselves “Christians”. I’ve watched them use their book to justify racial segregation and related violence and even slavery some 150ish years previous. I’ve seen it used as “proof” that women were the property of their husbands and deserve no rights… 60 years after they managed to finally get the vote and the right to smoke in public. I’ve likewise felt this same cold ugliness being directed at me during what should be celebrations of life vs. an encounter with fear… evil in its rawest form coupled by pure hatred.

Ignoring all of that I have likewise seen the corruption that goes on within church situations; I’m not talking about the kid-piddlers but preachers that screw the females of the congregation… married women and of course, him being a married man. Yet these same jerks would condemn me for who I am, calling me “sinner”?

No, they aren’t an exception, they are the rule… you will find them everywhere, many of them toting a gun as well as white washing the financial records when it comes to income vs. the official treasury.

There is NOTHING anyone can tell me that would make me change my views as to what a “true” Christian is in today’s world. I’ve watched and seen it all over the years and there’s not a single one of them that live up to what that word is supposed to me or what JC himself tried to teach us to be via the actions he took in life.

Sep 1, 2007
I don't know if you've noticed or not, but quoting bible verses only works on people that believe in and fear the holy suppository...

I'm an atheist myself. I just submitted those quotes for consideration because honestly, the argument of who is and isn't a real Christian is something I prefer not to get involved in. Too messy, even for me. I learned those passages from Mark Edward. I thought they might be a nice consideration for examining the relationship of mystery entertainment with religion.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results