Controlling a specific card after spectator shuffles?

Feb 17, 2010
Moscow, Russia
What do you usually do to control a specific card in the deck to the top/bottom after spectator shuffles (let's say you glimpsed their card and you want to control it). I use a spread cull a lot, it's alright, but it is reasonable action during performance only when it's hidden with openly looking for the two jokers, for example. What ideas/methods/sleights do you use besides a cull? (please, do not reccomend any card crimps, I do not want to use them)

Jul 18, 2010
You could have them peek it and then miller cascade it. Then a simple palm. Hand out for shuffling...

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
ok.... why dont you want to use crimps? thats like me going into a set saying i dont want to use Double lifts, or i dont want to use false cuts. why limit what you use? (hasn't praetoritevong gone on this rant before, this is sounding very familiar...)

Besides CRIMPS which are awesome.. especially the breather crimp, i will second palming. Palming is an invaluable skill with so many applications so work at it and get good and you will use it almost in everything. In addition to that i will say shuffle tracking. If you control your spectator right, as in lead them down the method of shuffling, I.E. a riffle shuffle even a decent shuffle retains top and bottom stock mostly. So control a card to top or bottom, let them shuffle and watch to see if the top card or bottom remains in position or at most is moved a few cards up or down. With a quick peak in the course of a cut or something you can glimpse how many down or up it is and adjust accordingly. Sometimes, they set up a double lift for you by sheer coincidence. I use this with my ACR often

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
haha yeah a simple crimp makes everything so much easier.

but if you really don't want to, then here's one way i have done it.
After you peek their card, and they have shuffled. When you turn the deck face up and start spreading, say just make sure your card is still in the deck. When you spot it, don't make it obvious you know what it is, either cull it, or just cut it to the top in a casual manner.

Jul 7, 2008
Norway
I think there are ways to do this in Juan Tamariz's book: Mnemonica. It teaches you how to do it with the whole deck... kinda.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
if you don't want to use crimps, force a short card :p
or use a marked deck.

I am confused about why you wouldn't use crimping though. And I second everything that's been said about palming.

Jack

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2007
Decatur, GA
Control to the bottom and gambler's cop. I like the cop because I have small hands and copping allows me to let my hand rest without taking on a ridged or unnatural appearance. When I palm it looks like I'm palming. Granted I'm working to fix this but I still think I'll prefer the cop.

Feb 17, 2010
Moscow, Russia
Palming is invaluable technique to have mastered, of course (I do use palms in cops in my performances). But the question was a little bit different. Why don't I want to use crimps? Honestly, I don't know. It's something like you're listening to the song, it's kinda ok but at the same time you don't want to listen to it anymore. Crimps do damage cards, that's the point, too. So, it all goes to culling a card while casually spreading through the deck.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Palming is invaluable technique to have mastered, of course (I do use palms in cops in my performances). But the question was a little bit different. Why don't I want to use crimps? Honestly, I don't know. It's something like you're listening to the song, it's kinda ok but at the same time you don't want to listen to it anymore. Crimps do damage cards, that's the point, too. So, it all goes to culling a card while casually spreading through the deck.

a) Not all crimps damage cards - not all crimps are permanent.

b) I wanted to wait for your response before saying anything, but now that you have - crimps are quite simply the best way to do what you're asking. Have you tried using crimps? I urge you to learn a good one and give it a go. It's simply the best way to do things, so if you want the trick to be the best it can be... Something's just gotta give. I can understand not liking a particular sleight, but at some point, if it's the best thing you can do, which it is in this case imo, and you don't have any objection other than personal preference, then I think it's time to give it a go.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results