Performance Story (And Pretty Unique Spongeball Idea)

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Well earlier this evening I went to pick up my girlfriend for a date night. She told me that her little sister (Loren, 9 years old) had two friends over. I figured this could be fun!!

"Watch this," I told her.

She followed me up the stairs to her sisters room as I prepared myself. I walked in the room, and they all looked at me. "What are you girls up to?" "Just playing," Loren replied, "This is my friend Chloe, you haven't met her before." Loren turned toward Chloe; this was my chance.

"Loren!!!" I scolded, "What did I tell you about not letting these get in your ears?!" I proceeded to pull a spongeball out of her ear. The three girls giggled in astonishment. I passed the ball from hand to hand as I showed it to the girls. "Once you let one of these get in your ears, they can easily multiply." I rubbed the ball, and it split in two between my fingers. At this point, they went from giggles to "what the?!"

I handed the spongeballs out and they examined them. Once finished I placed one ball into my left hand saying if you get it in one ear - I placed the other ball into the right hand - you can end up with them in both, which isnt good, because you can't hear, but sometimes you might get lucky and you can hear out of one ear (The left hand opens to show the ball vanished), but you can't hear a thing out of the other (The right hand is opened to show both balls there). In this phase and in the next, I was refering to the hands as if they were your ears and you had this bad ear stuff in them!!

They were absolutely stunned, laughing and amazed. I then said "Be careful when you are near someone with this stuff in their ear," I then placed a ball in my hand, "It's kindof contageous" I placed the other ball in Chloes hand. "Look, I'll show you." Suddenly, my ball vanished, and when she opened her hand, it was there.
As a closer, I told the girls, "This funky ear stuff should be taken seriously, you have to watch out because it can multiply."

I had all three girls hold their left hands together in a group, palm up, and their right hands in a group palm down hovering a few inches above their left hands. I then placed the 2 spongeballs on their left hands and had them "smoosh" them between their hands. After a few seconds I said "Did ya feel that? I told ya these things multiply." They lifted their hands and four spongeballs popped out!!

The girls were completely astonished!!! They SCREAMED and were freaking out.

Lastly I placed all of the spongeballs into my left hand, without saying a word, and vanished them all.

"Now," I said, "I have taken care of those crazy ear things but you girls keep a look out in the future, and keep away from that stuff!!"

That was about exactly how that routine went. What do you guys think?

I did some more magic that they, of course, loved. Right before I left, Chloe asked me to do one more trick.

I grabbed a shoe string and a brass ring, and began to do a ring and rope routine. I did 2-3 phases and she was stunned. For the last phase, I strung the string through the ring (say that five times fast lol) and to make it even more difficult, I tied the string to the ring. As I was about to magically pull the ring through the rope, Chloe says "Wait, let me see that knot." I handed the ends of the string to her and I held onto the brass ring. "It isn't tight enough," she said. She then took the ends of the string and pulled them to tighten it. When she did this, the string melted straight through the ring and the ring fell into my hand.

Her face when this happened was absolutely priceless she was stunned and was completely silent.

I'm sorry it was a long post, but I hope you guys enjoyed the read, and I wish I woulda got it on video!

Thanks,
Rob

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Oh man it was great and I had just as much fun performing it as they did participating!!!

I am going to see what I can do about getting a video!! I want it to be live though, with me actually performing for the kids!! Maybe next time her sister has some friends over I'll try to get a video!!!

Jul 7, 2010
That's definitely a great story to hear!

What do you guys think of this spongeball patter?

Take in mind that you really didn't have time to practice the patter, I'd say that it was very creative. Because you did just came up with it while performing right?
Anyway, it was very nice to hear such an experience.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Yeah man it was litterally improv...It was just me and my girlfriend downstairs, she said do magic. I grabbed my spongeballs and said hmm what if I did this, and said this, added in this...my girl was laughing the whole time I was brainstorming at what I was saying I just thought...Thats it...lets go...and then walked up stairs!!!!!!!

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
I kinda laughed when i read "She followed me up the stairs to her sisters room as I prepared myself. I walked in the room, and they all looked at me. "What are you girls up to?" "Just playing," Loren replied, "This is my friend Chloe, you haven't met her before." Loren turned toward Chloe; this was my chance."
Sue me, I'm immature.

Anyhow, great story.
Great to see how you took a simple classic routine and made it work.
Though I haven't met a routine quite like yours, with the spongeballs as "ear stuff", I think Sankey did something with Earplugs though. You might want to check that out. *the trailer for his Earplugs is 50% him talking bs about how earplugs are better than spongeballs EG. Earplugs are yellow. Studies show that yellow is the most attractive color. but you still might want to check that out.*
And if that was 100% improve, then that is definitely worth some applaud.
And way to earn brownie points with your girlfriend.

I laughed at this by the way:
"she said do magic. I grabbed my spongeballs"
hehe

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Yeah I used to have those Earplugs...I am a huge fan of Sankey, but I hated those things...They are too big, and theyre not squishy at all...people can usually tell when they have two from my experiences.

and glad I made ya laugh and don't worry about being immature...I laughed at my own story in those parts too lol

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results