Gambling

Jul 23, 2010
Hi everyone, I have recently been interested in gambling related moves. I really want to learn but I have no idea where to start so can anyone please give me some sources of where to start. I am looking for a good book.

Thanks

Sep 2, 2007
London
The Expert at the Card Table by SW Erdnase. That's a pretty good book. ;)

In all seriousness though, I reckon Jason England's Foundations DVD, or his 1 on 1's would be a good place to start if you've never played with this kind of stuff before. Seeing the moves performed well is a good way to set a benchmark for yourself, and to properly understand the intentions behind each technique. After Mr England, maybe pick up Richard Turner's The Cheat DVD. It's more of a demo than an blow-by-blow teaching tool, but it'll definitely inspire you and open your eyes to what's possible.

Erdnase can be a bit daunting at first sight, but I don't think it's ever too early to start trying to get into it. It will reward you with more and more every time you open it.

Sep 22, 2010
Austria
just a few i started with (do not own everything but i hear they are great resources):

-The Expert at the Card Table Book (Original,Revelations,Annotated)
-Damian Nieman Fast Company DVD
-Jeff Wessmiler Weapons of a Card Shark DVD
-Steve Forte Gambling Protection Series DVD (very expensive but definetly worth it supposedly)
-Jason England Foundations DVD and 1on1's

This will keep you working a few decades.....

Sep 2, 2007
London
I would add one caveat for those about to take their first faltering steps into the world of Erdnase. Don't buy the DVD sets until you've acquired a working knowledge of the moves, and your own opinions on how they should look and be performed. It's my belief that many of the moves are performed wrong on both Wesley James', and, to a lesser extent, Allan Ackerman's DVDs, and taking their word as gospel may lead you to develop bad habits that take time to unlearn later. With that said, both sets are worthwhile additions to the library of the Erdnase obsessive later down the line. Allan Ackerman's is useful primarily for the vast swathes of historical and biographical information about SW himself. Wesley James will provide some inspiration in times where practice seems hard and moves seem unattainable. James will teach you that, sure, mastering Erdnase is a gargantuan undertaking, but all you need is an inability to Charlier Cut and massive finger flashes any time you access the bottom of the deck, and you too can be "The Man Who Knows Erdnase".

Jun 10, 2010
James will teach you that, sure, mastering Erdnase is a gargantuan undertaking, but all you need is an inability to Charlier Cut and massive finger flashes any time you access the bottom of the deck, and you too can be "The Man Who Knows Erdnase".

+1 like.

Best damn quote ever.

Jul 7, 2010
The Expert At The Card Table is already pointed out. Buy that one right now. The stuff in that book will keep you busy for a while. Then you've been studying TEATCT (by the way, this book can be read over and over again), you should pick up Expert Card Technique, but only after you've been reading TEATCT very closely.

Also check out Jason England's stuff, like his DVD Foundations.

Jonathan

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
The Expert At The Card Table is already pointed out. Buy that one right now. The stuff in that book will keep you busy for a while. Then you've been studying TEATCT (by the way, this book can be read over and over again), you should pick up Expert Card Technique, but only after you've been reading TEATCT very closely.

Also check out Jason England's stuff, like his DVD Foundations.

Jonathan

i'm not sure i agree with you. i believe that ECT should come before erdnase. maybe not if your strictly focusing to learn just gambling moves and how to cheat. so i may have to recant that statement i thats the case.

but i got the feel you wanted to learn gambling moves to do magic. and ECT should come before erdnase in the progression of the card magician.

Aug 20, 2010
Practicing
i'm not sure i agree with you. i believe that ECT should come before erdnase. maybe not if your strictly focusing to learn just gambling moves and how to cheat. so i may have to recant that statement i thats the case.

but i got the feel you wanted to learn gambling moves to do magic. and ECT should come before erdnase in the progression of the card magician.

I agree with this. ECT has improved methods for many of the things in Erdnase such as bottoms, seconds, and overhand stacking. Either way, both are extremely important.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
I agree with this. ECT has improved methods for many of the things in Erdnase such as bottoms, seconds, and overhand stacking. Either way, both are extremely important.

I third this post. Expert Card Technique has paved a nice road to Expert at the Card Table. Like BninroC69 said, it has helped me significantly with bottom deals, second deals, and multiple items that appear in Erdnase. It will give you a basic understanding of the moves before you head into Erdnase; the text is a little more advanced and a little harder to learn from at first. Expert at the Card Table is a great book and one of the best if you want to advance your skill in card magic and gambling, but diving your head into shallow water is asking for a bad outcome. Make sure you understand the basics of the move before heading to the advanced material inside Erdnase. :)

-Casey

Aug 20, 2010
Practicing
Oh yeah. I just thought of another book. Phantoms Of The Card Table is another great read. It is very entertaining and also teaches some sleights and tricks and stuff. There's also a section by Steve Forte. I HIGHLY recommend it. It's cheap also. Grab a copy from Borders.com or Barnesandnoble.com. It may also be available on PenguinMagic.com

Just for clarification, TeeDee's last post was sarcastic, dont EVER buy wesley's set on erdnase. I have it, its terrible. Save your self the 100$ and buy 10 copies of erdnase. maybe even read them all simultaneously.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results