Making fun of a volunteer to get a laugh. Worth It?

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
After attending this weekend's convention, a very important point was brought up that I guess I had never really thought about until now. Well, I take that back, I have thought about it, but decided that getting the audience to laugh was part of the fun / show and never really thought much about how my volunteer felt during the show.

Many of us bring volunteers up on stage or up in front of a crowd and do silly things to them, make them look a little foolish at times, or perform effects that always backfire. If this is your style you may want to rethink your presentation and turn it around so that you are the one who is getting made fun of and the child on stage looks like the hero.

Jul 14, 2008
I strongly agreed with you. It's never worth to make fun of a volunteer. Instead, I did the opposite around. I always thank the volunteer to help me out in order to make the effect succeed.

Its their choice if they come up or not, they can say no you know.

And besides, if you cant take a joke no one wants you 'at the party" anyway, so stay home. Just check williamson, its impossible to deny that he is one of the best today and he makes his spectators look like total fools.

Jun 14, 2009
I'm with Dan here. As long as you do it playfully, it's should all be in good fun and even the volenteer might get a laugh and the audience will have more fun. No one should get their feelings hurt though. So just be careful. Watch some of Bill Malone's stuff. He teases the audience constantly. It even adds to misdirection. Props to reverhart for this interesting topic.

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
I agree on both sides of the spectrum, but you can't be overly harsh on a spectator just to get a laugh.

Take a look at Gazzo. He makes fun of spectators in a hardcore way, and gets huge audience reaction. BUT, he tells of a time that a biker decided he didn't like getting made fun of and threw one of Gazzo's one-of-a-kind custom cups for his cups and balls into the ocean!

I love to joke around (lightly), but that's my personality. When I perform RedLine for a group I always say "So who here uses Cherry Chapstick?" and 99% of the time it's 4 or 5 girls and 1 guy. So I say "Ok, a lot of girls and THAT guy." That always gets a laugh, but it's not a slap in the face for the spec.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Right...if it is done tastefully and with good intentions I think it is ok, but sometimes young children that are brought up may not understand the humor in it and the tears may start flowing. I think your character plays a big part in this. Steve Bargatze (sp) gets away with all kinds of making fun of kids and spectators because of "how" he does it. Glad you guys like the topic. Would love to hear other opinions. I think sometimes when you can turn the jokes around on "yourself"...it plays better for kids but I could be wrong.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
For example: Bank Night Routine. I think that even though the magician will always win, the other spectators should get something to make them feel appreciated. You could include something little inside the bottom of the envelope that they pull out and get to keep.

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
Right...if it is done tastefully and with good intentions I think it is ok, but sometimes young children that are brought up may not understand the humor in it and the tears may start flowing. I think your character plays a big part in this. Steve Bargatze (sp) gets away with all kinds of making fun of kids and spectators because of "how" he does it. Glad you guys like the topic. Would love to hear other opinions. I think sometimes when you can turn the jokes around on "yourself"...it plays better for kids but I could be wrong.

I think we have two different audiences to view here. For kids, you always want to build them up. I agree whole heartedly reverhart that we should make them look like the hero. But when we start crossing the line of maturity, it is fair game to playful stabs and jovial put downs. One of the biggest things about crossing the line of maturity is how you view what others are saying about you, so as they grow older they understand that some things are just out of group humor. Granted, I am not saying that you should have Roast Fest 2010 with your participants, but just as Robert was saying, friendly teasing adds to the humor and the misdirection of the performance. Just some of my thoughs on the matter...

C

Cardmaster211

I would say that it depends if your volunteer is a good sport or not and if it is a total stranger that you don't know you should always pick no.

Aug 17, 2010
I think it depends on too many things to simply say yes or no. Can you do it and keep it lighthearted? Not everyone can. Will the volunteer take it the right way? Not all of them do. Is the crowd on your side enough to do it?

I saw a guy make the crowd totally turn against him with one of Gazzo's lines. It's funny and somehow inoffensive when Gazzo does it, but this guy just sounded like an ass somehow.

So, like most things in magic, I'd say it depends.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I agree that there are probably two separate audiences to look at. With the kids, it is easy to to perform "sucker" effects, but we probably shouldn't just in case they do take it wrong and get upset while up on stage. I've seen it happen and it creates an awkward moment for everyone involved. If you can do it light heartedly and your character allows this...I don't see a problem.

For older teens and adults though, I think you need to be selective on your volunteer and "feel" them out some on stage before dropping some of the playful jabs. Some adults believe it or not, even though they just volunteered, may not find the playful jab funny.
Others stand up there, make a fool out of themselves, ad lib their own lines and the show is hilarious.

I think it is a fine line to walk and one needs some actual experience before just unleashing torment on a spectator.

Nov 8, 2007
It all depends on your personality.

In general I'd say no, because most of the time it doesn't work, even though most performers will think it is working for them. There are, of course, exceptions to the rule. You just have to have the right personality for it--and most don't.

David Williamson, however, is the man when it comes to this kind of humor. Everyone is enjoying being involved, and genuinely having a good time with him. I love this clip.

Last edited by a moderator:

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
That was hilarious. Haven't seen that clip before but YES...this is the type of character you need to be if you are going to be, should I say "playful and forceful" with your spectators. Now...keep in mind that some magicians that do this type of material...actually do go into the crowd an hour before or out in the lobby and preselect people who are "willing" to come up and have fun.

I have had it done to me before and the magician told me well ahead of time what to do and how to act. On the other hand when my wife and I went up on stage with Kevin James's midget (can't think of his name right now) neither of us had ANY clue what to expect and we just played along with the act and had a great time.

Mad

Jul 16, 2009
Hah this topic reminded me of something I used to say when performing IVanish :).
Right before I vanished the coin I always asked my spectator (it was usually a bar situation) "Do you have any lube? Oh no? Really? You looked like that kind of person, nevermind"

Girls loved that phrase, guys got pissed off, so I dont use it on guys anymore haha! :)

Oct 12, 2009
Navarre, Florida
Personally I'm more apt to make a joke at my own expense if anything. If the chemistry with the set I'm doing seems appropriate I may do some sort of good natured teasing but I make a point to be sure its taken the appropriate way. Just giving the spectator a wink can do wonders.

Something else I've done while doing stigmata sometimes I'll wince in pain a little bit and make a comment about the person's strength especially if its a kid or a older person or just to startle them a little then say 'Just kidding' and flash a smile. Again, depends on the situation and mood etc. I've actually had this backfire one time though. I was performing for this family and had the daughter who was about 10 or 11 squeeze my wrist. Then later on in the set I believe I was performing rich ferguson's tagged on the daughter and the son and put my hands around their wrists to act as an 'amplifier'. The little girl let out a yelp and I immediately freak out and apologize. I'm worrying if the dad is over protective and will hit me with a hammer or something. Then the girl flashes me a smile and goes "Just kidding". Well played 10 year old girl. Well played.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Wow...that was funny about the 10 year old girl. I probably would have been a little nervous myself. You are right about the "wink" or smile...that lets the audience and the spectator know "we" are just having some light hearted fun.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Already mentioned, but I'll agree with it, certain performers can pull this off. The trick is knowing how to insult people without making them feel insulted. Most people know that audience bashing is part of Gazzo's act, you just go with it. David Williamson, The Amazing Johnathan, and even Penn and Teller can all make fun of one or more of their audience members and usually get away with it. They're the exception to the rule. A few lines here and there won't usually hurt anyone, but more often than not it's better to play it safe and not make fun of your spectators.

Michael Ammar has interesting thoughts, and a great story, in his interview with David Corsaro on Time to Be Awesome. Check it out!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results