Saturday Night Contest - Daniel Garcia Roundtable

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
1. What musical endeavors are you currently pursuing?
2. Out of all of your original material, what is the ratio of stuff you use and stuff you don't?
3. Have you ever had an all-night comedy session with Mac King, Chris Mayhew and Bill Malone?

Ian

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
Danny Garcia.
I met you at LIMAC (Long Island Magic Convention) a few months ago.
Thanks for signing my Jerry's. Still got them/still using them.
Anyways, here's my question.

1) Is it important to relate to your spectators when your performing or is it better to practice patter like you would practice a trick? (Talking to them vs. talking at them: for them to listen and not have any input other than the reactions). I don't have set patter on any trick. I usually just go with it and say whatever seems right. I feel it's more personal that way so they can feel like their part of the effect, and not just watching me like a TV screen.
On a side note, I think that setting strong patter would eliminate hecklers because sometimes when you get people involved with a trick and you get on same the level as them, they think that they can mess around and show the people whose really "running the show". Which is better?

2) Have you ever performed at a gig you just weren't ready for? What happened?

3) Has there been a time when you were trying to be funny and it just wasn't working for you?

-Dan Tripi

Last edited by a moderator:

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
What is the most challenging part of trying to put together a big DVD project like this?

What event from the creation/filming process will stay with you forever?

What is it like to be a ninja with magic powers?

How do you go about collaborating with other magicians/artists? What is the process like?

How do you know when an effect that you have created is ready to perform?

When you learn a new effect and there is something you do not like about it, how do you go about changing it?

- Gary

Sep 30, 2009
Elkhart, IN
OK, I see a lot of questions about you performing magic and what you like to perform but my question is this...

How long do you practice each day and what keeps you going as far as the magic. ( In other words what keeps you from burning out?)

OK. May be I had a few questions.

Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles
1. What was the hardest part in developing effects for DGP 4, 5 and 6?

2. What is your advice for young magicians looking to make up their own effects?

3. What is your favorite effect from everything you have put out and why?

Daniel Garcia,

1. What is your favorite all-time effect that you have created?
2. As someone who wants to push myself further into my magic, what are some of the best things you have done to better your magic?
3. I see you using the Bicycle Rider Red Back cards most of the time, do you prefer those over the custom decks?

1. In one word, how would you describe yourself and your magic?

2. Why did you decide to create three more Daniel Garcia Projects?

3. What is one person who you'd love to perform for? (Dead or alive, for example the President, Dai Vernon, etc.)

Sep 12, 2007
Dgp

Is it true you once lived in silence only to better understand your other 4 senses?

Is it true you grew your own corn just to make your own corn tortillas?

Is it true you drink and make up your own 1/2 and 1/2 mixture of viper venom and east African woolly urine to help the "creative flow"

DG 4,5,6 questions

Hey T11 here are my 3 questions for DG.

1) During the time from the release of the first three projects and the making of the new ones, was there ever a moment where you actually didn't feel like going through with 4,5, and 6 for any reasons?

2) In comparison to the first three DG projects, how was the process of the new three different in terms of all around experience and effort?

3) When everything with the new three projects of yours were done, what were the first things that came to mind?

Jon R.

Sep 19, 2010
DC
Are any of these tricks among your personal favorites?

Are these installments as hilarious as the original three?

What is the percentage of impromptu/ungimmicked compared to gimmicked?

Jun 12, 2010
Who do you feel has influenced you and your magic the most?

Which would you prefer the audience to beleive; that you truly have magical powers, or that you have a highly refined set of skills, and why?

What is your favorite method for attracting an audience when you perform in public? (not at a paying venue)

May 3, 2008
What do you think about the direction the magic market is headed?
Who are the magicians who inspire you as a performer and a magical thinker?
What mistakes have you made as a magician and what piece of advice would you give to a magician starting out to help steer them away from those pitfalls?

Jun 10, 2010
What does magic mean to you?

How do you go through the creative process to create so far out-of-the-box effects?

What was the first magic trick you ever learned and who did you perform it for when you did it for the first time?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 31, 2010
Someone mentioned discussing your creative process, so I thought I'd ask around those lines.

- Do you reserve time for just thinking about new ideas, or do you just take them as they come?
- Do you practice improvisational effects such as your impromptu Sam the Bellhop?
- When trying to create a new routine or even just a trick, do you follow a set method? Such as starting with the result you would like to achieve and working backwards or starting with some sleights you might want to use and going forward.

Oct 2, 2010
1) If you, Wayne Houchin and David Blaine was trapped in a room, what would you be doing?
2) How awesome does it feel to be you?
3) What was the most embrassing magic fail you did?

Dec 3, 2009
So I'm not going to lie, I'm 42 and have been into magic since I was a child, mostly cards but coins and other stuff I could find out about as well.
We live on a limited income so we just got the internet about two years ago, and when we did I started looking for magic. And boy did I ever find it. I found T11 n some other really cool sites. And In the last 2 yrs, You and about 5 or 6 others have really influenced me to perform magic for people other than my family and friends. I've actually been walking up to people in the mall or on the street while I'm out and let me tell you, while it totally embarrasses my girls and my wife, it totally freaks peope out as well, and for that, I thank all of you! I'm actually working up the nerve to approach a couple of local resturant owners.
Right now I work construction, and the past few years, we've missed a lot of work days due to "schedule conflicts". With the training from U n the others, (believe me I practice every chance I get), the extra income would totally help!
Anyway My question to you is, " What was the single defining moment in your life when you decided this is what you were going to do? Was it a performance you saw, was it a performance you gave, was it something you read, , was it something someone said to you? What? "
I know that sounds cliche', but isnt that the 64,000 dollar question? Dosen't everyone want to know why their idols do what they do? I do!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results