The "How did you do that?" line.

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
I like to ask, "Well, how do you think I did it?" Most the time they respond that they have no clue, to which I give a kind smile and ask "so you liked it?" Giving warm responses to deflect the question is key for me.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Mat's given some pretty darn good advice, and since no-one else has, I just wanted to acknowledge it.

A line I often use, which works for me is, "I'm just as amazed as you are."

This works for me, being a mentalist, because of the sorts of things that I do, and the premise that I use. It also works for me because I often use things that can fail, so I really am amazed when they work. But most of all, to use this line, you have to believe in what you do - not as in, believe in magical powers, but believe that what you're doing is amazing. You have to have empathy. Think about a time when you completely, utterly messed up, and through sheer chance managed to pull something off (if you haven't had one of these moments, you probably haven't performed enough :p).

For me, one of these moments was completely messing up a control, and utterly losing their card (back when I did card magic a few years ago). Whilst stalling for time and improvising a way out, I did a charlier cut, neatly cutting their card back to the top again and producing it through complete chance.

In other words, if you say you're amazed at something - feel it, and act it, and the line will work.

Oct 9, 2010
Great advice matt:D I usually say "its magic" or give them the bull**** explenation ie: the smoke goes through the portal into my hand! Seriously!, which they usually don't buy haha. In a rare people do believe me, though they are usually the times when I say its static like with loops. I do find it annoying when people badger me to tell them though. They always say "common, you can tell me! I won't tell anyone! Just tell me!" I performed Smoke to a girl from my school at a shopping center and she called me a douche bag for not telling her haha.

Jun 29, 2009
...at which moment your audiences think you're jerks for having understood their genuine question of curiosity in what you do and chosen to blow them off by giving them a smartass answer instead of a genuine reply.

The canned hack lines don't work--they're just cheap lowbrow outs. When you're performing you should be building a relationship. All hack lines like these do is create distance.

Adam,

I do not suggest you answer that it was magic. This is a pandering response, especially for adults. First consider why your audience is asking in the first place, which more than not is because it is a response of bewilderment, not that they actually expect you to explain what you did to them. They're just thinking out loud. Most of the time they don't expect you to actually answer the question (although they do expect you to address their question), so saying something like, "That's crazy, isn't it?" will often satisfy their their "how did you do that?" response. You have to say it in a way that matches their tone and energy though. If they're stunned quiet, you don't want to say a line like that with an arrogant wink and flashing smile then turn away to carry on with another trick. Take the moment to let the magic sink in. You can be genuine and still make it known that you're holding something back.

They're just trying to relate to you when they ask how you did something. All they usually want is some sort of acknowledgement to their question--it doesn't have to be a direct answer. So if the person asking is not the person you just did an effect for, just directing your attention toward them and saying, "Would you like to try something?" will usually satisfy them. They're asking because they're interested in what you're doing, so doing an effect them (something interactive) is more-or-less what they're looking for.

Sometimes someone will come along that will actually not stop asking how did something. This should be a very rare case, but if it does happen Mike Skutt has a reply I have always loved, which is to take them aside or lower your voice so the conversation drops to just between you and the curious spectator and say, "I'll point you in the right direction--the question isn't so much how I did as it is why." Let the line hang for just a moment then politely leave them to ponder it. And say it like you mean it, not like you're pandering to them--like you are truly doing them a favor by giving them a real clue to sink their teeth into--and it will give them what they wanted: a new lead to follow in their curiosity, and a deeper mystery to try and unravel.

Happy Magic

You are the first mature and insiteful person that I've heard here, Bravo! I agree wholeheartedly

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
I like what mat said, but if you are into comedy some one liners could go there.
Like "Harry potter taught me" or silly things like that.
But these can only really work if your persona is comedic or silly.

Nov 8, 2007
Thanks for the feedback, guys. It's definitely a subject worth putting some thought into. While throwing out a smartass line can be fun, in the end it's really the lazy way out. We can do better.

Happy Magic

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
I say, "very well." They then learn the ambiguity of the question in which they have asked.

I hate this line, it was funny when it first started being used years ago but now magicians use it all the time and they come across arrogant. I like to leave it to them and if they say "well it's obviously not magic, is it?" I sometimes reply with, "if you have to ask, maybe it is".

I did the haunted deck with loops at the last place i worked and my boss, the chief executive actually asked me if I was using reiki so some people obviously do believe it's more than sleight of hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 22, 2010
How do you respond if someone says "How do you do that?". Sometime I say it was magic, and other times I just ignore them. Is this the correct way to approach it? I just wanted to hear other people's thoughts.

if the pieces of magic you perform are extremely powerful they will be so dumbfounded they wont even ask.. I've had this happen a couple time, but usually someone will ask

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I hate this line, it was funny when it first started being used years ago but now magicians use it all the time and they come across arrogant. I like to leave it to them and if they say "well it's obviously not magic, is it?" I sometimes reply with, "if you have to ask, maybe it is".

I did the haunted deck with loops at the last place i worked and my boss, the chief executive actually asked me if I was using reiki so some people obviously do believe it's more than sleight of hand.

Yes, some people do. A line I heard recently was, "Did you really just read my cat?"

Apr 25, 2008
I use a Christian Nevell Bovee (author & lawyer from late 1800's) quote that I added to "A pleasant illusion is better than a harsh reality…just enjoy the moment"

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results