- Tommy Wonder

Top Five (alive):
- Juan Tamariz
- Bill Malone
- Lennart Green
- Daryl
- Dani DaOrtiz

Nov 8, 2007
in the words of the professor "houdini didn't do magic, he did escapes".... just saying. Copperfield i enjoy but i've always preferred and been more influenced by close up magicians.

History disagrees with that statement.

One man's viewpoint on something does not make it fact or absolute.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
true, but you have to admit, when you think Houdini, you dont think " i remember that one effect or illusion he did" you remember the escapes, so my point was more that he isn't the first person in your head as a magician, at least not to other magicians.

Jun 10, 2010
In no particular order:

Dai Vernon
Dan Sperry
Juan Tamariz
Wayne Houchin
David Williamson

If gambling sleight knowledgeable people were allowed in their own sub-category, Jason England, Steve Forte, Darwin Ortiz, Richard Turner, and Erdnase would have made it. Even though nobody knows who Erdnase is, I'm speculating what he'd be like based off of the vast amount of working sleight-of-hand in EATCT.

Aug 20, 2010
Practicing
Some of these guys aren't magicians.

1. Steve Forte
2. Mr. Z
3. Ricky Jay
4. Darwin Ortiz
5. Harry Lorayne

If I could add one more it would be Scarne.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
Meh. Magic follows trends just like everything else. Heaps of sheep think that Stephanie Meyer is a good author and that pop music on the radio nowadays is somehow good.

Nov 8, 2007
true, but you have to admit, when you think Houdini, you dont think " i remember that one effect or illusion he did" you remember the escapes, so my point was more that he isn't the first person in your head as a magician, at least not to other magicians.
I think you meant "[Houdini] isn't the first person in your head as a magician, at least not to other magicians who aren't well read." ;)

Vanishing Elephant, Metamorphosis, Needle Swallowing... Houdini built his name mainly with his escapes, yes, but he had quite a few magic pieces that he was known for as well. Near the end of his life he was focusing as much on magic as he was escapes. Talk to some people who actually knew him personally, or worked with him, or just read one of the many great books out there on him and I think you'll have a greater appreciation for Houdini's accomplishments as a magician. Also, keep in mind that his escapes were often seen as magic--some people believed he could dematerialize and that was how he accomplished his "impossible" escapes. There was a real mystery presented when Houdini's did his escapes.

It is with good reason that Criss Angel is trying to "beat Houdini's record" for a straight jacket escape on Oprah, and is constantly trying to recreate and outdo Houdini's escape feats on his TV show; and that David Blaine references Houdini in almost all of his specials (including his last one where he visited Houdini's former New York residence) and has "A Latter-Day Houdini -The New York Times" printed in big font on the back of his DVD, Fearless--because 84 years after his death Houdini is still the most widely recognized name in magic.

Jul 13, 2010
It´s a bit OT, but do you know that H.P. Lovecraft has written a novelette with/about Houdini?
It´s called 'Imprisoned with the Pharaos' or 'Under the Pyramids' and worth reading.
And there´s a 3D-Software named after him.

I think its weird that so many thinks that Chad Nelson is one of the best magicians ever.

Ditto, I also can't believe Dan & Dave got mentioned so many times, with only one mention of both Harry Lorayne and Guy Hollingworth.

But, like someone else said, it's all about trends. I seem to remember a similar thread a few years ago where Daniel Madison was mentioned a lot. Funny how he only came up a few times in this one...

Matt

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results