Smoke - how to breath?

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
I received Smoke today and think it's a very cool utility. This may seem silly but I was doing it for the first time just testing it out, without giving too much away I was ready for the finale of portal but find myself needing to breathe so I assume breathing in through my nose is fine then no smoke comes out.

Like a fool I have never smoked so I have no skills! Is there a way I can breath in through my nose without inhaling the smoke? I can't hold my breath every time I want to do this....

danwhite

theory11 artist
Sep 1, 2007
Yes, you can breath for as long as you want through your nose while retaining the smoke in your mouth.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
No that's what I'm trying to say Dan, I couldn't hold my breath any longer so I started breathing through my nose and inhaled the smoke. Guess I'll just keep practicing.

Jul 5, 2010
Retain the smoke in your mouth and not in your lungs, and there should be no trouble breathing through your nose.

I agree with cmayhew. It is possible just takes a little practice. Like he said u have to retain the smoke in your mouth and not inhale it into your lungs. I know its going to sound funny but u basically have to hold the smoke in your mouth and close the passage into your throat, while doing that your airway can stay open allowing you breathe through your nose without inhaling or exhaling any of the smoke. Like I said I'm sure that sounded really funny when reading but that's pretty much what u have to do. Good luck. Hope I didn't confuse you.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
I agree with cmayhew. It is possible just takes a little practice. Like he said u have to retain the smoke in your mouth and not inhale it into your lungs. I know its going to sound funny but u basically have to hold the smoke in your mouth and close the passage into your throat, while doing that your airway can stay open allowing you breathe through your nose without inhaling or exhaling any of the smoke. Like I said I'm sure that sounded really funny when reading but that's pretty much what u have to do. Good luck. Hope I didn't confuse you.
I know that much, I'm not an idiot :p I'm 23 and have never smoked so never had to try and breathe through my nose without inhaling somewhat through my mouth. I guess what I was really asking here is if there is a proper breathing technique but I'll just keep practicing. I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Edit - Can't believe how hard I'm finding this, when I breath the smoke comes out my nose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 12, 2009
Navarre, Florida
You don't have to hold your breath to eat and drink right? Just do it like that. Practice breathing with a little water in your mouth maybe that could help.

Sep 14, 2010
I agree with Haunter.

I do not own this effect so I don't know the particulars but you could try concentrating on identifying the muscles you use while breathing with some water in your mouth. The same principle should apply for Smoke if you are wanting to keep the air in your mouth from being inhaled or exhaled when you breath through your nose.

I am big on meditation and fine control of ones body and this is right along those lines. With some practice and some deep concentration you can learn to isolate those muscle structures to close them off on command.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results