Rule of Five

Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
Hi everyone -

Even though I don't frequent here much anymore - I recently had a discussion with John Maxwell that I felt was worth sharing with you all. I hope the thread provides you with some useful information that not only helps improve you as a magician, cardist etc but also as a person.

Without further delay... The Rule of Five.

Throughout the day I had listened to John talk about many different things which I knew would help me as a leader as well as help my business but when he talked about the rule of five, I was floored and knew that this was something I needed to make a part of my life and routine.

John opened this topic by talking about chopping down a tree. He said that lets say, each morning, you go outside with an axe and take 5 swings at a tree. No less then 5 swings - each day. Once you've decided to do that each day it no longer becomes a matter of whether or not you'll chop down that tree but rather, WHEN that tree will be chopped down. Since you're making dedicated effort to take at least 5 swings a day, you know it's simply a matter of time before that tree falls. Mr. Maxwell has applied the same principle to his life since the age of 17 and it's one of the reasons he has been able to write 54+ books so far in his lifetime.

Mr. Maxwell said that every morning he does 5 things...
1. Reads
2. Files his ideas
3. Ask Questions
4. Thinks
5. Writes

Clearly some of his "things" on the list are up for interpretation on our end but he knows exactly what they mean. John made it clear though that he does these things everyday... it doesn't matter to him whether it's a holiday, vacation, he's sick or anything in between. He always does them and hasn't gone a day without it since the age of 17.

So. Lets say your goal is to become a world renown magician. Make a list of 5 things you can do everyday, to work towards that goal. Things that will not only put you on the right track for your own success but also put you in the right frame of mind. It doesn't matter if those things are simple such as practice 30 minutes a day or something of that nature. What's important is that you're making the effort, preparing yourself, and also developing that discipline.

One other thing I found important that was said... become a life longer learner - John said that it's important to continually challenge yourself and be around people that want to improve or want change. Strive to develop or evolve yourself not only as a magician or cardist but also as a person.

I've placed the rule of five into affect for my own life and it's difficult to make yourself do it everyday - but once you do it enough, it's second nature and you wont go a day without it.

One last thing, before I go... "If the dream is big enough..." A gentlemen I was chatting with told me that if the dream I have or anyone has, is big enough - then the set backs you experience simply don't matter. Fail your way to success, experience the failures, learn from them, and push forward.

Best of luck. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I remember reading something similar to this, not the rule of 5, but the daily actions to slowly help you grow as a performer. The article was based on Jerry Seinfeld and talks about how to be a better comic. To be a better comic you have to create better jokes, to create better jokes you have to write everyday.

His method to staying on track is dead simple, but effective. You can read about it here.

I've never heard of the rule of 5, the rule of 3 rings a bell, but I suppose they're the same concept with different numbers of things to do. I think making a list at all, and fulfilling the obligations of the list, will help you improve. Even if it's only one thing every day.

I'm surprised nobody commented on this...here I am sifting through page 3 and I run across something everyone should at least try out in order to improve their magic and their other goals in life.

Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
I honestly didn't mind that it was over looked by so many. I simply wanted to provide something to the community that has provided so much to me as a performer over the years. Whether or not people had anything to say meant little - I was happy to see that there were people at least looking at the thread.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results