Searching advice

May 23, 2009
romania
Hey guys... tomorrow i will have a talent show that i will attend to and i have prepared a couple of stuff.Besides that this is my first time on stage in front of 600 people as a magician (i usually do street) and i think i will fail because of my nervousness. What can i do to encounter my bad emotion state?

Any suggestions?

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
As an actor, I've found that just having fun works wonders. The hardest part is always taking the first few steps onstage, and once you're out there, there's no turning back so you might as well enjoy the ride. If you put energy and enthusiasm in, and try to hide your nervousness, however anxious you may feel; the audience will appreciate and enjoy it more, and you'll find that the butterflies go away really quickly.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Take extra precautions with your show whenever possible. Slow down. Breathe. Meditate. Have fun. There's no cure for nerves. I've been on stage for about as long as I can remember. The nerves get better, but some nerves are good, it keeps you on your toes. In the meantime, the above few things I've listed help.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I still get nervous to where I am shaking when I am doing close up for more than 10 or so people. Do what I always do...believe me, it helps....

Constantly tell yourself in your head that there is no need for YOU to be nervous. They are LUCKY to have you performing for them and brightening their days. THEY should be the ones that are nervous...THEY should be nervous about what you are going to show them and how awesome it is going to be.

I know I know, it sounds kind of arrogant and "full of myself" but I am FAR from that kind of person. It is kinda just a confidence boost, and believe me....IT WORKS!!!

Apr 1, 2009
California
Take extra precautions with your show whenever possible. Slow down. Breathe. Meditate. Have fun. There's no cure for nerves. I've been on stage for about as long as I can remember. The nerves get better, but some nerves are good, it keeps you on your toes. In the meantime, the above few things I've listed help.

I could've sworn you said "medicate"

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
heres a few tips ive found help. First, no matter what, make sure you purposefully slow down on stage. No matter what you will most likely rush it without knowing so be deliberate and clear. Before hand a few idea's to calm yourself down is to make sure you use the bathroom, i know that sounds stupid but its good advice. The last thing you need is something else to worry about on stage. Its also a good idea to take like 5 minutes beforehand and listen to some music. The style of music can help dictate your feelings. Pump you up with some upbeat rhythms or some chill music to help you calm and focus.

Oh, one more CRUCIAL piece of advice. Always ALWAYS check your fly before going up in front of people who will be staring at you. Always.

Just like someone else said above about how they use to be an actor, I was too! One thing that always helped me during a show was just running it a few times by myself before the show, then chilling with my buds for 5 minutes, then running it once more! Like Jrobarts said, go to the bathroom, keep the fly up, and goooo slooowww. When you're on stage you will get a natural tendency to speed up, so just... take it easy! Chew gum before you go on stage, but not during, and "Don't worry be happy."

Always remember, it's not a paid gig.. these people are just here to chill with their friends and see some entertainment! If you mess up, no biggie, just keep on going!

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
heres a few tips ive found help. First, no matter what, make sure you purposefully slow down on stage. No matter what you will most likely rush it without knowing so be deliberate and clear.
I have played drums for 24 years, even on stage from time to time. That desire to rush once the adrenaline hits is one of the drummer's biggest challenges. Wholeheartedly agreed.

Dec 26, 2009
I don't know about anyone else here, but no matter how much I perform for people I am still nervous for the first effect I perform. After that I get a feel for how they are going to react.

I have never performed magic on stage, but you said you do street magic so I can relate there. To "warm-up" why don't you perform for the people backstage before you go on. It may work the same way as the first trick does for me. Do things you know you won't mess up. You could use it as a confidence booster.

As I am writing this I remember watching America's Got Talent and seeing Michael Grazzo performing card manipulations before he went out on stage.

It may work. It may not. I think it is worth a try though. It's what I would do.

May 23, 2009
romania
Thanks for the tips guys, they really helped me. I had a great time and the audience was great. I didn't expected them to clap for me because this was my first time on stage :) but because of your advices i had a different vision of going on the stage.

THANKS

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results