Magician Vs. Trick Man

Mar 20, 2010
What is the Difference between a Magician and a Trick Man?

Attachments

• 670563582l.jpg
    670563582l.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 44
Mar 20, 2010
I guess all of the self proclaim magicians are trick man. A real magician knows only 10 magics while a trick man knows a lot.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
the difference is someone who understands the basic principles of being a magician. someone who has a structured act, or routine who understands that presentation is what magic is about and can entertain. a "trick man" as you put it is someone who knows a few methods and can do a few tricks but with no context or point just to impress and get some attention. Youtube is full of trick men, Vegas and Hollywood is full of magicians. see the difference

Dec 20, 2009
Massachusetts
the difference is someone who understands the basic principles of being a magician. someone who has a structured act, or routine who understands that presentation is what magic is about and can entertain. a "trick man" as you put it is someone who knows a few methods and can do a few tricks but with no context or point just to impress and get some attention. Youtube is full of trick men, Vegas and Hollywood is full of magicians. see the difference

Great way to put it..

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
I don't really call them trick men, more of people who know tricks. I wouldn't entirely say that the "trick men" know tons of tricks where the magician know a few really well. I think Joshua Jay's Course on Magic defines a bit of it. The trick guys are out to fool you for some quick entertainment. They focus mainly on themselves, and what they did. The magician in turn spends his time trying to perform for the audience and not themselves. Magicians have participants instead of spectators. Magicians focus on the psychology of how the magic can effect the participants minds, and less on the sleight they are using to fool others.

To further this idea, I feel that we here on the Theory11 sometimes fall into both categories. When we get complacent, we tend to fall into the trap of "trick men." But when we are on the top of our game, we become Magicians and true artist =)

Mar 20, 2010
I don't really call them trick men, more of people who know tricks. I wouldn't entirely say that the "trick men" know tons of tricks where the magician know a few really well. I think Joshua Jay's Course on Magic defines a bit of it. The trick guys are out to fool you for some quick entertainment. They focus mainly on themselves, and what they did. The magician in turn spends his time trying to perform for the audience and not themselves. Magicians have participants instead of spectators. Magicians focus on the psychology of how the magic can effect the participants minds, and less on the sleight they are using to fool others.

To further this idea, I feel that we here on the Theory11 sometimes fall into both categories. When we get complacent, we tend to fall into the trap of "trick men." But when we are on the top of our game, we become Magicians and true artist =)

nice. very well said. thanks

I want to know your opinions so that I can screw up nicely those who said they are magicians. :) really cruel.

You're a jerk. I think I'm done with you now. Oh.. yes... My advice: Don't screw up yourself on this forum, other wise I'll be the first person to cash in that bad karma check you just wrote for yourself in that quote above. I don't like jerks. Your statement made you sound worse than that. Arrogant, AND a Jerk.

Mar 20, 2010
You're a jerk. I think I'm done with you now. Oh.. yes... My advice: Don't screw up yourself on this forum, other wise I'll be the first person to cash in that bad karma check you just wrote for yourself in that quote above. I don't like jerks. Your statement made you sound worse than that. Arrogant, AND a Jerk.

do i offend you? I'm sorry.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
Surely it's all down to how your audience percieves you? If you persuade your audience that you are doing magic, you are a magician. If not, you are a trick man. I think that arguing about what title you fall under is meaningless, unless it somehow changes the audience perspective of you. If magic is all in the mind of the spectator, then the title 'magician' is also.

That said, a lot of people seem to be looking down on 'trick men' and assuming that being a magician is better. They are both perfectly valid styles of performing, as long you're trying to emulate that style intentionally.

Mar 20, 2010
Surely it's all down to how your audience percieves you? If you persuade your audience that you are doing magic, you are a magician. If not, you are a trick man. I think that arguing about what title you fall under is meaningless, unless it somehow changes the audience perspective of you. If magic is all in the mind of the spectator, then the title 'magician' is also.

That said, a lot of people seem to be looking down on 'trick men' and assuming that being a magician is better. They are both perfectly valid styles of performing, as long you're trying to emulate that style intentionally.

thanks sir.

Apr 4, 2009
Apple Valley. CA
i think my main way to know who is a "trick man" from a "magician" is how many tricks they know and how they preform it.. i mean its almost like the same discussion as a difference between a professional and a armature... i mean a trick man could be anyone barly gettin into magic.. i mean when i first started to learn i wanted to to learn everything at once and go out and preform all of them like i was on stage... but as time went by i found out that the more i learned just tricks and not foundations.. i forgot about the tricks i learned before... so i got into learning foundations into making my own tricks.. i myself do like 10 at most tricks that i have made up from learning basics, slights, and other tricks... ether i have changed a routine or added on to it.. ether way all the stuff i have learned i have adapted to me... my favorite trick of all time has to be Autograph by Justin Miller... if you dont have it... get it... i do it all the time to almost everyone i meet.. cause its something you can hand out and they will remember you... almost like a business card with an experience... and as JM says on the trailer for it... he has had people keep it and later on pull it out and say "hey you are the magician dude that did this" i myself have had that happen so many times... but now im gettin off topic.. HAHA

my point in all this.. a trick man can do a lot of tricks, but none of them well.. a magician does a trick and makes that magic... like an amateur... an amateur practices till he can get it right... a professional practices till he cant get it wrong ;)

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
...they preform it...and preform...

Just throwing it out there; the word is perform. PERform. With an ER, not an RE. As a community of performers, you'd think we'd get things like this right. Sorry, but it is one of those little pet peeves that makes me want to kill people. Please get this right guys, lest I set my gremlins upon you.

As you were.

Nov 8, 2007
I guess all of the self proclaim magicians are trick man. A real magician knows only 10 magics while a trick man knows a lot.

That's absurd. By your definition you just disqualified Houdini, David Copperfield, Dai Vernon, Derren Brown, David Blaine, etc. as real magicians.

Being a "real magician" has nothing whatsoever to do with how many effects you do or don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
By your definition you just disqualified Houdini, David Copperfield, Dai Vernon, Derren Brown, David Blaine, etc. as real magicians.
Is Derren Brown a magician though? His audiences don't think of him as one; he certainly doesn't refer to himself as one. If that's the case, what actually makes him a magician?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results