Help on a presentation

Mar 27, 2008
Hey everyone,
we have to do a presentation in school in PC lesson (there are such lessons in Estonia, don't know about other countries) and I thought I'd do it about magic, specifically card magic. It has to be in Powerpoint, and like a proper presentation, at least 13 pages, including title page, table of contents and summing-up. And one more requirement, was to add a picture, but of what, Dai Vernon??? And about the contents, what I thought, was to talk about the history first, but don't have any big ideas. I thought I'd say something about gimmicks and trick decks too. Also if you have any material on it, please share, if you can. I found something on Wiki, but I think it's not going to be enough. My idea is to make it all clear for my classmates and the teacher. So everyone, share your big ideas. Thanks in advance.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I wouldn't say anything about gimmicks and trick decks. I think you should start with maybe Dai Vernon. Talk about how card magic has evolved since his time but a lot of the older magic is still performed. Then, maybe talk about the trick that Dai Vernon used to fool Houdini which I believe was an ACR. Maybe after the presentation, and if you OK it with your teacher, you can do the trick that fooled Houdini

EDITED due to false info! A quick google search proved my memory wrong but I believe it is correct now!

Dec 26, 2009
If you want to do something about cards why not do a presentation on playing cards in general. Playing cards have a vast history. With some basic google searching and a look at Magic Magazine August 2010 I am sure you can find a huge amount of knowledge.

You could also talk about certain trick decks like electric decks, mini decks, and jumbo decks.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
You could pick a famous magician and talk about how they have affected the art/industry (Houdini, Vernon, Copperfield, Angel, Blaine etc)

You could include the princess card trick ( I believe that's the name). It could work well for a power point presentation.

Mar 27, 2008
About the picture, I think a clip of Dai Vernon would be good, or one properly performed GOAT change, or something from Lennart Green.

Sep 1, 2007
Not excatly, I'm not really sure what to talk about magic in general. Again history, Houdini.

You could talk about Houdini as a populist symbol in the Depression. You could talk about how Robert-Houdin averted a war. Or just a brief timeline.

And I trust you know that with PowerPoint you shouldn't just have title cards that you read off of.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
During WWII the ace of spades was used to identify the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment and the American 101st Airborne Division. The ace of spades was marked on their helmets. It was good luck to them and in fact, all four suits were used to identify different regiments.

During the Vietnam War, it was used as phsychological warfare because American soldiers had the (false) belief that Vietnamese ancient traditions held the spade to mean death and ill-fortune. They would leave Ace of Spades on the bodies of the Vietnamese soldiers that were killed, and would even scatter the jungle floors with TONS of Ace of Spades. Charlie Company 2nd Battalion 35th Infantry asked the United States Playing Card Company to supply crates of JUST Ace of Spades cards in bulk. These crates were often marked with "Bicycle Secret Weapon"

The Ace of Spades did not symbolize death or ill-fortune to the Vietnamese. The American soldiers only believed this, and it helped boost their morale.

In 2003 a deck of "Most-Wanted Iraqi Playing Cards" were issued to U.S. soldiers during Operation Iraqi Freedom. Each card had a picture of a wanted Iraqi official on it. Saddam Hussein got the nickname "Ace of Spades" because his face occupied that card.

Sorry, I love history ha ha. But that is just a touch of war history and playing cards

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results