Tips Appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
Wow... I wish I could convey everything I wanted to in text.

Here's my advice... Delete your Theory11 account, go study Royal Road, and don't even think about looking at Revolutionary Card Technique or any other book until you finish Royal Road. By finish, I mean actually read each word, take notes, and practice every sleight and effect in the book. Also, pay more attention in English class my friend.

Then, when you can actually conduct yourself like a competent person over an internet forum, rejoin Theory11.

+1 especially the paying attention in english class part.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
stop posting. You haven't listened to a single damn thing. This is the extent of my procrastination

Firstly:
-A camera man doesn't count as a spectator. We can't see how well they're being misdirected, or their reaction, or your interaction with them.

Write a script to the trick. Seriously. Actually, i'm going to transcribe your patter right now, so you can realise how bad it is.

"We'll start by giving the deck a cut, and riffle shuffle them together [stop narrating what you're doing]. Now sir, could you please select a card? Any card will do [semi-acceptable, as long as you really talk this way]. Please remember your card [should be asked after they wish to change their mind]. Would you like to change your selection? [should be asked before asking them to remember the card] Now say stop anywhere [not necessary, just get them to place it back wherever]. Please place your card there. Give the deck a couple of cuts, and riffle shuffle... the deck together [STOP. NARRATING.] . So your card is still somewhere here in the deck correct? [What is the point of this question? It's like you're insulting the audience's intelligence]. Is this your card? Your sure that the 4 of spades is not your card? Well, we're going to pick up the 4, and if the 4's not your card, then the 8 of club has to be your card? It's not? See, this is a very special deck, your card will reveal itself to me. Just a wave of my hand over the top of the deck. The only card reversed in the entire deck... is this card... would you be surprised if this card was your card?"

Ok. This is a sucker trick. It means that something went "wrong". Which means that if this trick had gone correctly, it would have ended with you turning the deck over to their selection. Which in that case, it would have been a rubbish trick. Anyway, continuing.

This is a SUCKER trick. It means that something went WRONG. Ever seen a magician really screw up a card trick? What happens to their face, their voice, their body language? Emulate that. If you can't, don't do sucker tricks. Ever seen a magician try a really bad recovery after screwing up a card trick? That's what you should be emulating with the second screw up. If you can't, don't do sucker tricks.

The ending is so out of left field. There is no logical premise why you'd reveal the card face up. At least if you had structured patter, you could make the ending make sense, something like "well, I was never really good at cutting to cards anyway, so I make them easier to find". If you had established at the beginning that it is a "magic deck" and can make it congruent with your style, it would have been better.

Can't believe that I don't want to study this badly.

many members hate me so i bid you a farwell i will close this account if you tell me how

Quit being such a damn wimp, pull the twist out of your panties, sit down, shut up, and LISTEN to what we're trying to help you do; BE A BETTER MAGICIAN!

None of the critique I've seen with you Kid is hurtful or hateful. Frustrated because you're head's thicker than concreate and emptier than Paris Hilton's skull sure, but that's beside the point.

If you want to be a pussy then delete your account and quit. Go pick up another hobby that you can suck at then blame everyone else.

OR you can suck it up, accept that the problem is with you, and try to actually work to make yourself better. Take the advice people are giving you and actually apply it. Magic takes time. I've been interested in magic my entire life, but it's taken me probably the better part of six years of blood, sweat, and tears to get where I am right now. It takes time. Lots of time. You won't master it all at once.

If I had your piss poor attitude I should have quit when I got black listed by the Magic Castle for my expert video clips. Guess what... I'm still here. You're no worse than I was. So the way I see it, you don't have an excuse worthy of deleting your account and quitting. So stop being such a god damn mellow dramatic baby, and actually put the work in to improve yourself. It's time to take your diaper off and act like a big kid.

Do you actually WATCH your videos? Try it sometime. Study yourself. Listen to these other people, and improve. Go. Out. Practice. Perform. Period.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Yeah, I'd also suggest you script and think about what your going to say before you do it. I always hate it when magicians say what they are doing. It's like sitting there and watching a boring Power Point presentation. People can clearly see what you are doing, so you don't have to spell it out for them.

Also, the camera man doesn't count. So try again and come back later when you've put some effort into what your doing, besides spending the 5 hours you say you've practiced.

Sep 27, 2007
Cenozoic, Oligocene
I'm not gonna lie man, the best thing for you right now is just to practice.

I'm not going to say anything in particular because everyone above me has already explained it.
You should be grateful that they took their own time to analyze what you can improve on. Not a lot of people in the real world are willing to do that. Especially for someone who can't seem to type properly. It's pretty inherent that your generation should know how to use punctuation properly. Review a thing called "run-on-sentences". Please.

Think hard man. You don't want to be remembered as the arrogant kid who couldn't type.
But seriously, looks like you're a newbie, so the only thing I can really say is PRACTICE.
At your stage, it's the only thing that will get you progress.

Aug 31, 2007
This has gotten a bit out of control. This type of conduct is just not useful to anyone here, and nothing is gained in the end. I'm closing the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results