Where is a good place to start with flourishing?

Nicholas17

Elite Member
May 28, 2008
Kentucky
I've been doing magic for as long as I can remember, but seriosuly got back into it a little more than five years ago. In that time I've really put a lot of effort into card and mentalism effects. However, I haven't really gone very deep into Dan and Dave style card flourishing, which is something I'm interested in.

I can pull of a basic Sybil, which looks very impressive in my opinion, but that's about it as far as crazy card flourishes. I do own a copy of the Trilogy, but the flourishes it teaches are a bit too advanced for me where I stand now.

What's a good source for easier, Trilogy-esque card flourishes? I've never known exactly where to look. Thanks guys!

May 10, 2010
Hi there! If you're a complete beginner to cardistry, I highly recommend Andrei Jikh's Genesis. It can be bought here on T11. It serves to introduce you to many basic moves that you will come to use in the near future, such as the spring, one-handed cuts and various fans. Moves such as Bullet and Angel can be incoperated into floruishes you learn after Genesis. It helped me greatly when I first started out.

I see you're a fan of the sybil, so you may enjoy Daniel Madison's flourishes, which highly revolves around revolution cuts (no pun intended!) and sybil variations. I recommend getting Lethal, or the Dangerous DVD since it has both magic and cardistry.

Sep 20, 2010
Malaysia
I think Genesis is a great place to start, its comfortable in pace, its detail is superb and Andrei offers many tips and angles to help you on the moves. After that, you can probably browse through The System if you're into Dan and Dave, where you'll learn the first 3 molecule cuts and much more, then move on to The Trilogy.

That's what I did anyways :) Hope this helps.

Oct 10, 2010
Spring fan and one handed cut is easy stuff and it shocks people especially the spring and just a basic fan because average people can't do it. Chicks dig it at the bar ;)

Nicholas17

Elite Member
May 28, 2008
Kentucky
Thanks for the help so far guys. I'll definitely check those sources out. I do think I may have explained where I'm at a little poorly though. I don't exactly mean basic flourishes. I can do ribbon spreads, card fans, dribbles, riffles, springs, etc...What I'm looking for is how to get started in the types of flourishes I see in all these videos, like the ones on the Flourishes Disk of The Trilogy. As Nova said, "revolution cuts". I hadn't heard that terminology before. Is Genesis a good source for flourishes like that?

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Thanks for the help so far guys. I'll definitely check those sources out. I do think I may have explained where I'm at a little poorly though. I don't exactly mean basic flourishes. I can do ribbon spreads, card fans, dribbles, riffles, springs, etc...What I'm looking for is how to get started in the types of flourishes I see in all these videos, like the ones on the Flourishes Disk of The Trilogy. As Nova said, "revolution cuts". I hadn't heard that terminology before. Is Genesis a good source for flourishes like that?

Genesis does indeed teach the Revolution Cut, and is available here on theory11. As well as the Revolution Cut, you will learn tons of cool flourishes and ideas to get you started!

Aug 4, 2010
Genesis is not good enough....Just teaches fans and useless cuts...Get ShowOff volume 1 and 2 by Brian Tudor....
Thats how Dan And Dave started...
fyi-Brian Tudor was the creator of the Revolution Cuts

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results